PDA

View Full Version : eXo.entity - a short movie... C4D WIP

JamesMK
03-02-2005, 01:25 PM
Well... in order to provide some much needed push (I'm a lazy guy) I've decided to start this WIP thread for the ongoing work on my short movie entitled "eXo.entity". Aside from myself, there's two other guys involved; flyingP (Brian Read) who will handle some character concept art and probably more as the project evolves, furthermore we've got DenialK (Daniel Kaufeldt) (yes, we are related) who has composed the score and will take care of sound effects, foley and anything audio related.

This project as such has been simmering in the back of my head for a very very long time, and there has been times when I have worked rather intensively with it, but most of the time it has mainly been just an idea. I feel however that I've run out of excuses not to do it properly now, so I thought an official thread might be a good thing to keep me focused.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE STORY
I plan only to reveal information about the story on a need-to-know basis in order not to spoil the whole thing. What I can say is that it's about a guy locked up in some kind of penitentiary, and that there is a deep sort of philosophical reasoning behind the story as such.

CHARACTERS
One thing that has been crucial in order to revive this project is simplification. My first drafts and storyboards were much too complex, involved too many characters and too many sets. So I've spent a lot of time lately trying to compress the whole thing into something more manageable, while maintaining the core of what I want to express.

So... in terms of characters, we've got one main guy. Slightly humanoid, but not in any way realistic. I'm going for believability rather than realism here.

Minor supporting actors are two guards, and one small kid (say 7 - 9 years old). These supporting characters only appear in a fraction of the shots.

SETS
The story is confined to one location; the penitentiary. It will be designed a bit like a modern version of Colosseum, tall walls with multiple floors, seats for an audience on the inside, and an open space in the middle. The cellblocks are in the walls of this structure.

To manage things smoothly, I will build five sets for this - 1) the whole structure without much detail for overview shots, 2) two floors of cells for indoor shots, 3) the actual cell in which our main character spends most of his time, 4) a preparation room, and 5) an arena set for the open space in the middle of the structure along with the audience area.

WORKFLOW
So far I have revised the story enough to claim it's finished, and I have also sketched a simple storyboard. My plan now is to build simple previs quality sets in order to make a first version of the whole movie using only proxy objects. Once that is completed, I can easily make changes without having to lose much work. Whenever the previs version looks the way I want it, I move on and refine all the proxies until they match the intended final quality. This also implies refining the animation, textures and lighting as well of course.

As far as I can see, there are a lot of advantages to this approach. Testrenders with proxy objects will be blazing fast. Setting up lights will also be very simple. And above all - I will know if the movie as such will work before investing a lifetime in detailed modeling and texturing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start things up, some images of what's going on right now (the cellblock proxies):

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/1/wip1.jpg

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/1/wip2.jpg

Hopefully my general lazyness will not get the upper hand... so I'll be back with more stuff within the next few days. With a bit of luck this will become the longest WIP thread ever... in six months or so :D

glorydays
03-02-2005, 04:52 PM
looking good so far. Sounds like and intresting short Look forward to seeing some progress. :)

flyingP
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Look forward to seeing some progress. :)

WAHAHAHAHAHA..........sorry 'this is' the Wabbit we are talking about :D

glorydays
03-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Wabbit? What chooo talkin bout?

flyingP
03-02-2005, 05:11 PM
OMG you have one in your Avatar too :scream:

it's a wabbit infestation.....run for you lives :D

glorydays
03-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Thats not a Wabbit in my avatar "Pig". Frankly, im not sure what he is, just my toon on my own short that i have not made progress on.
So im still not clear. Is james not very progressive on his work.

flyingP
03-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Well... in order to provide some much needed push (I'm a lazy guy)
Wabbit's gonna kill me :bounce:

Thats not a Wabbit in my avatar "Pig"

a mouse with long ears then :shrug: :D

JamesMK
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Is james not very progressive on his work.
Not very progressive. Period. But that's another story :D

Thanks for your... er... interest... I'll be back with some more substantial stuff soon enough.... back to work...

ODoul
03-02-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm sure it's going to be very cool. On a side note, I saw a rendering by you in a Maxon advertisement in 3DWorld mag. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Peter C.
03-02-2005, 07:50 PM
So... in terms of characters, we've got one main guy. Slightly humanoid, but not in any way realistic

Will he have long, pointy ears? :D

This is great James, I really want to see a complete animation project unfold in Cinema. You got my attention!

PS. Im lazy too :)

flingster
03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
flingster...attached his mighty clamp to the bunny's thread...and patiently awaits progress...

looking good so far...like the building top shot...should be atmospheric by the looks of it already....need MORE...

bobzilla
03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm latching on here, too, so I will be alerted of your progress.

Looking forward to seeing a complete C4D animation project.

JamesMK
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
Pig - You're dead.

3D_Explorer - Yep, that was the second good reason for me to grab a copy of 3DWM #62... actually the first time I've seen any of my stuff in high-res print :cool: (Thanks to Geespot for pointing this out to me btw)

Peter C - I see your point ( :D ) but nope, he will not have long pointy ears... In spite of my usual funny-ha-ha attitude, the intention here is to make a rather serious and gloomy short - so any wabbit references are out of the question I'm afraid.

Flingster - I guessed that the blow-up pic might strike you as interesting :D

bobzilla - I hope that I will too :argh:

Thanks for hooking up to the thread guys - by doing so, I'm now officially obligated to continue until it's done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's futile exercise is just a bit of fun - since I got Jenna 2.22 up and running yesterday (thank you CA / Darf / 3DWM) I wanted to try it out on something, so I figured a silly title sequence for the short could be a good thing to experiment on. Making a title at this point is just about as stupid as designing a CD-cover way before you've recorded the songs - but what the hell.... have to do something. And aside from giving Jenna a test-drive, I also got the opportunity to play a little with After Effects... since I have exclusively made still compositing in the past, there's a lot to learn in terms of compositing motion stuff.

Click on image to download the .mov clip (~740 kb, 5 sec, QT Sorensen3, 24 fps, medium-low quality, 360x202 pixels )

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/2/wip3.jpg (http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/2/exo_title.mov)
http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/2/exo_title.mov

flyingP
03-03-2005, 08:30 AM
interesting :thumbsup: ...just hurts they eyes trying to read it :scream: :D

Peter C.
03-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Don't toss the disco element yet. Have the text change to/from a disco ball with nice reflections and add some funky music. Might turn out great!

Deluge
03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I believe this might be very good

artemesia66
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
looks very interesting. <clamp>

bobtronic
03-04-2005, 02:00 AM
looks like interesting stuff. I really like that you choose a serious theme. Good luck with the
project. I will watch the progress.

Bob

flingster
03-04-2005, 04:21 PM
jenna's a monster...can't wait for 3...bring it on!

OT:
peterc: love that new avatar colours...whats big picture look like?

anti-shock
03-04-2005, 04:41 PM
This looks to be a very interesting project.
I'll keep on following it. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

JamesMK
03-04-2005, 04:50 PM
flyingP - Yep, it's a bit messy to say the least

Peter C - While that is an excellent idea, it fits so incredibly badly with the overall theme here... but there's no way you can know that of course :D

Deluge, Artemesia66, bobtronic, flingster and anti-shock - thanks for hanging around :thumbsup:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just continuing the architectural bit, and I'm progressing slowly due to frequent test sessions where I simply walk around inside the building with a camera for a very long time in order to find nice spots, angles and stuff that needs to be moved or changed somehow. Mainly just concerned with proportions, balance and so on now, since it's all merely blocked out at this point.

Current state of the cellblock module, now capable of housing 24 inmates:

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/4_1/wip4.jpg

CLONEOPS
03-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Just pooped in to see what is happening...i read your old staff meeting minutes on your web site (wahaha..splort**laff :)
~by god this has got to be the way to run a business,minimal overhead and if anyone complains about needing vacation time just give em a good scolding in the mirror.:)

Glorious ear piercing volumes of muzak surround sound.

JMK ENTERPRISES PRESENTS
IN ASSOCATION WITH
RABID RABBITS
A Mammal Picture Presentation

camera fades in.....
small man is seen dealing with a headache....
:banghead:
...suddenly occurs to small mannish,it hurt more this way
:eek:
small being takes meds from pocket
:)
ahhh relief!
occurs to small man,he feels so good is time to cause havok
in small berg hometown.
:twisted:
what dastardley scheme he has up his sleeve ~what is he up to....?
:deal:
mmhhh.......
:hmm:.
The end...give us a hint.

Peter C.
03-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Flingster: It's a colorized electron microscope image of a sperm fertilizing an egg. I found it very suitable as me and my wife are expecting :bounce:

JamesMK: How about using the idea for a pre-title logo that doesn't have to be the same theme?

The environment looks great so far. Will you add any piping in the ceiling or similar stuff to make it look less clean/more menacing?

flyingP
03-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Will you add piping in the ceiling or similar stuff to make it look less clean/more menacing?

or maybe a potato or two, I believe a few were left over :D

Peter C.
03-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, when pigs can fly! :D

flyingP
03-04-2005, 11:51 PM
ahh but they do.........albeit rather short distances with a nasty landing :argh:

JamesMK
03-05-2005, 09:41 AM
CLONEOPS - Very glad to see you around, Chris! As for hints, hmm, maybe later. Interesting suggestion though, makes me think of Gary Oldman's character in 'Leon'.... now there's a lovable guy :D

Peter C - Pre-title... could work... will try to spherify the thing next time I'm bored with building the set. I figure a wrap deformer in spherical mode should do the trick. Congrats on the conception btw! When is the package expected to arrive? - - - Piping. Yes, there will be piping. Each cell is equipped with a toilet and a sink, so there will have to be some pipes too. I'm not looking into detail that much at this point, but when I do, there will be lots of moist and leaky pipes.

flyingP - I will reuse all potatoes left over from the GSO... got bags of them...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weekend and lots of family entertainment to take care of now. Might not be posting any updates until monday.... maybe sooner... probably not.... but you never know.

Random note from script addendum: The main character (the prisoner) is the one we will sympathise with, so, I'll give him rather big eyes. The guards on the other hand, will wear Secret Service style sunglasses at all times, and quite featureless faces.

DenialK
03-05-2005, 03:44 PM
You go girl!

Analog-42
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
can i help lol
..... i have lots of spare time and wanted to start a short

JamesMK
03-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Analog-42 - Thanks a kind offer, but I'm afraid the crew is already at 100% :D What you can do is to crit and comment along the way, I'm always interested in all kinds of feedback.

DenialK - Oh, you're dead too.

Info ---- DenialK (incidently my brother) above is the guy composing the score for eXo.entity (it originated as a track for an upcoming album, but happened to fit with my story... so, with a little editing, it will be perfect). He will also handle the sound effects when the time comes.

... now back to work...

flingster
03-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Flingster: It's a colorized electron microscope image of a sperm fertilizing an egg. I found it very suitable as me and my wife are expecting :bounce:

hey congrats...

i love the colours in it...really works...little hard to see sperm boy breaking through because of size but it looks fantastics.

Peter C.
03-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Thank's James & Flingster. Due date is around the end of September if all goes well :thumbsup:

Now drop that beer and show us more! :D

CLONEOPS
03-05-2005, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=JamesMK]CLONEOPS - Very glad to see you around, Chris! As for hints, hmm, maybe later. Interesting suggestion though, makes me think of Gary Oldman's character in 'Leon'.... now there's a lovable guy :D

Thanks Jimbo-K..
Okay i trust we will get fed bits at the proper time..
-I missed a Gary Oldman movie ?
...damn i have to get off to the video store more often....actually i don't have none of the good suggestions yet,not enough info ,..will follow your lead as Executive producer.

-is this mostly going to be in interior act,-and you are in a sense looking for light at the end of the tunnel?
-the building is linear so it follows from one end to the other..is the path straight or twisted to get to final destination.?
-hey how about a trailer....later.oh yes.:thumbsup:

(~ welcome to the bro too ~)ha! a measley 15 posts.:)U:)

JamesMK
03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Peter C - September it is then :thumbsup: Let's see what bakes faster: a short or a li'l Clevestig... And of course it will all go well - the real inferno doesn't start until AFTER he/she has popped out into the open :twisted:

CLONEOPS - More info will be revealed in a cautious manner along the road... but not too much. Can't believe you've missed 'Leon', you really have to do something about that fast...

Lessee:

Mostly an interior act? - Yes, pretty much. The opening shots will be outdoors, and the final ones as well... inbetween that, we'll mostly stumble around in the gloomy indoors of the facility.

Light at the end of the tunnel? - To be honest, I have two alternative endings... one that leaves a small shred of hope, for those inclined to interpret it like that, and an other one that is just plain grim without any signs of better times after the curtain closes.... Currently I have found lots of poetry in the former solution, so that has the upper hand right now.

The path as such is... well, somewhat twisted, obscure and certainly esoteric... there are no yellow bricks though.

All in all, whenever I finish, it will be a 'european' movie if you catch my drift... that is, I already know that a lot of people will not like it.

CLONEOPS
03-06-2005, 12:03 AM
-oh hell that means we will have to probably interpret stuff...maybe even think about it.
Well i wasnt' expecting dorothy to show up anyways..so it's not a primrose path
your character follows.
european as in film- noir kind of genre?

Peter C.
03-06-2005, 12:23 AM
I would interpret that as "no Hollywood ending" :D

JamesMK: I'm sure it will :) ...but Im soo looking forward to it!

ODoul
03-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Congratulations Peter. You are in for the roller coaster ride of your life!

JamesMK
03-06-2005, 09:17 AM
....... m'yeah, a little bit noir-ish - most of all it will be fairly slow-paced, contemplative; most of the time rather subtle, which will make the not-so-subtle sequences have more impact simply because of the contrast (there will be some gore)... in short, not all of the questions it poses will be answered, and a lot will be up to the viewer to interpret. Of course I clearly know the reason for everything in the story, but I've always preferred movies that keep their secrets myself, so it's only natural I will do the same with this.

..... as for the ending, no, very far from Hollywood... I'd say it's closer to a russian ending (if there ever was such a thing) :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A minor update to give a better overview of the facility. I meant to post this yesterday, but the connection between my ISP's FTP and the matching HTTP server is lagging badly for some reason, so I got tired of waiting for the picture to show up and went to bed instead.

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/wip5.jpg

Currently it looks like I'm just a few days away from starting to animate the previs for the opening shot - yay! Been looking forward to that...

flyingP
03-06-2005, 09:44 AM
and a lot will be up to the viewer to interpret. Of course I clearly know the reason for everything in the story, but I've always preferred movies that keep their secrets myself, so it's only natural I will do the same with this.

give over, your just too lazy to fill in the gaps :wise: :p

JamesMK
03-06-2005, 09:46 AM
give over, your just too lazy to fill in the gaps :wise: :p
Waaahaaahaaa! :D

No.

EDIT: PRODUCTION CREW UPDATE:

Aside from DenialK (Daniel Kaufeldt), who will, as mentioned, handle the score and sound effects, I have now forcibly drafted flyingP (Brian Read) to make some character concept art for the main guy and the guards. Looking forward to some coolness in that department :D

artemesia66
03-06-2005, 02:37 PM
...and so, the birth of Flying Rabbits in Denial Productions. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

flyingP
03-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

you might well have to though, I'm a lazy bastard too :D

JamesMK
03-06-2005, 06:13 PM
you might well have to though, I'm a lazy bastard too :D
Long story short - we're DOOMED! :D

That aside:

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/wip6_1.jpg

bobzilla
03-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Looks like a pretty cool arena-type setting for a battle or prison riot-type situation.

Nice watching the progress...

Looking forward to seeing the character(s).

DenialK
03-06-2005, 09:37 PM
ha! a measley 15 posts.:)U:)

:(

[By the way it's because I am the only person involved in this who isn't lazy, I don't have the time to post stuff in forums because I'm busy doing stuff all the time :D And also - i might add - my posts may be few, but the quality of them.. Damn.. I could bring up the "You go girl"-post again, or "Looking good and stuff but theres like this one stuff i dont understand, do you like make this stuff in a computor? I have read some of the words i could understand in like som post stuffs and i get confused cuz i thought this was like not done in a computer?" or maybe even the posts about dog food snorting, but that would just be too much.. Or maybe the spinning smiley? Genius...]

CLONEOPS
03-07-2005, 12:59 AM
:(

[By the way it's because I am the only person involved in this who isn't lazy, I don't have the time to post stuff in forums because I'm busy doing stuff all the time :D And also - i might add - my posts may be few, but the quality of them.. Damn.. I could bring up the "You go girl"-post again, or "Looking good and stuff but theres like this one stuff i dont understand, do you like make this stuff in a computor? I have read some of the words i could understand in like som post stuffs and i get confused cuz i thought this was like not done in a computer?" or maybe even the posts about dog food snorting, but that would just be too much.. Or maybe the spinning smiley? Genius...]

DenialK:
I'm sorry... but from what i understand it is a strict official policy that any individual
that partakes of said above project, in part or in whole must be processed through
a stringent and extremely laborious examination process to ensure that they have been selected from the elite of the elite slackers.
And because as you state, you is always busy doing stuff
well....
I'm afraid you will have to be killed.

ha!...16...posts.
Welcome to cgtalk..where time,space,and dimension have little meaning...and quite often
potatoes are weapons of destruction.
-okay i'll stop that now.~cheers.

JamesMK
03-07-2005, 09:27 AM
bobzilla - There will not be a riot as per definition, but something rather horrible on a smaller scale...

DenialK - I can see we're going to have a problem here....

CLONEOPS - We will kill him eventually, but not until the work is done.

That aside:

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/wip7.jpg

Peter C.
03-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Thank you 3D_Explorer!

Excellent concept sketch Brian! Can't wait to see it materialize....

flyingP
03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
thanks, although it will be changing, that was just to get the ball rolling.
James is really really bad when it comes to describing what he wants :rolleyes: so it could take a few attempts to get things right :D

JamesMK
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
James is really really bad when it comes to describing what he wants :rolleyes: so it could take a few attempts to get things right :D
Hey, I'm really bad at lots of more things than that... you ain't seen nothin' yet.

flyingP
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
that is what scares me :scream:

flyingP
03-07-2005, 02:40 PM
right well James is having big problems with his FTP upload, so I'm posting these ones
http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/wip9.jpg
http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/wip8.jpg

JamesMK
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/wip10.jpg

flingster
03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
holy moly this concept stuff is a lot larger in scale than i thought you initially posted...mouth watering stuff.
keep up the good work bud.

JamesMK
03-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Just some administrative stuff - we've decided to move to WIP Animation forum instead.

userBrian
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
I bought an advance ticket too. You lazy? I'm still trying metal zone bass riffs for my

GSO BDS. Since that'd be my first "song". Interesting that your brother does music.

Grand Space Opera entry (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=179803)

DimitrisLiatsos
03-08-2005, 01:18 PM
So i see all the family has a wabbit sence of houmor..heheheheh

WABBIT ...GOTCHA.....Piggy tipped me off ..heheheheh...good luck ..i am surely eager to see this finished...

although i will be following this ...just to give a push from time to time....and some olives ...green ones..with a single malt aside...err...or a beer...argh!

:scream:

JamesMK
03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
userBrian - Better exchange that ticket for a multi-season one... that will get you a slight discount...

DimitrisLiatsos - Ah, great to see you around! This is going to be a long ride, but it helps a lot having a complete set of nuts watching it evolve.... damn, I mean, I haven't even learnt any character animation yet :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: Preparing to make the previs anim of the opening shot, but it will be a while before I've got something to show since I need to learn the ropes a bit first... in the meantime, with a bit of luck, the pig might have more sketches to show... or not... who knows... don't ask me, I can't be expected to have all the answers... jeez... damn...

flyingP
03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
or not... who knows... don't ask me, I can't be expected to have all the answers... jeez... damn...

yeah well don't try pushing it into my corner......get your brother to do something :wise: :lightbulb

DimitrisLiatsos
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Well i know i am going to regret this ...:argh: :argh: :p :argh: :argh: ...but if u need any help ..don't hesitate to ask...lol..i am regreting this already...hahahahahah

In any case i am watching this

JamesMK
03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Oh, you're in deep shit now, greek :D

flyingP
03-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Oh, you're in deep shit now, greek :D

damn yes, that was the mistake I made :banghead:

DimitrisLiatsos
03-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Me and my big mouth...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Geddart
03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey cool, this looks especially nice!

I'll keep an Eye on this one. ;)

DenialK
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
ha!...16...posts.
Welcome to cgtalk..where time,space,and dimension have little meaning...and quite often
potatoes are weapons of destruction.
-okay i'll stop that now.~cheers.

I felt the need to upload an avatar in order to get some more respect.

CLONEOPS
03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Jamesmk:
yah ha! The concept pics are wunderbar..the guard has that sullen look,kind of reminds me of
the guard in Cool Hand Luke sans the the hat..guards should have smackin sticks or something similar..but i get the feeling uh..is this little guy the only prisoner?
The prison seems to have some very small escapees runnin off somewhere...hahaha must be minimim security.:)
Anyway too early to crit..if is really wanted specifically then post in purple ...or honk your beak.

DenialK: What! fed up with a blanked out grey space already?... to bad you can't insert a little jingle in there somewhere..since you are a music man.

Anyway too early to crit..if is really wanted specifically then post in pink.or honk your beak.

flyingP
03-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Jamesmk:
yah ha! The concept pics are wunderbar..

CLONEOPS you cannot seriously believe those came from James :argh:

@DenialK, that only works in here if you're female

CLONEOPS
03-09-2005, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=flyingP]CLONEOPS you cannot seriously believe those came from James :argh:

Omg... sorry, credit to the badass concept artist.
Frankly getting real ace sketches has got to be a big bonus.
~
later.. i got fish to fry.

JamesMK
03-09-2005, 07:59 AM
DimitrisLianutcase - You never learn... Besides, in a way you already have helped a lot... as proven by the fact that I'm handling around 8000 objects in my viewport at a very comfortable FPS right now :thumbsup:

Geddart - Glad you like it so far, and hopefully we'll continue to provide some more stuff to keep an eye on... perhaps even animations at some point (waahaahaa!)

DenialK - Jeez! My condoleances. It's pretty clear that there's no dental plan included with eXo.entity employment contracts.

CLONEOPS - Well, fact is that I can't even sketch my way out of a wet paper bag (I was even convinced that this was well known due to my humiliating attempts at the start of every challenge in the past) so whenever you see something drawn here, assume it's from the pig.

The prison security is classified as 'ludicrous' - the people standing in the lower left corner of that image is actually parts of the audience waiting for tonight's show. Oh and enjoy the fish. Honk.

CLONEOPS
03-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Damn.you are now Officially Published. :thumbsup:
....and you call yourself a slacker.!!!
In my opin you got burned on the previous one.
Would that be min or max ludicrous?

I'll honk-beep-beep back a little later gotta finish some semi-juicy ideas before they leak away into the meta-void.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~i will not blog,be blogged,nor ever partake in any action that may lead to blogging an any way,shape or form.~
so help me blog...i mean god.

flyingP
03-11-2005, 08:03 PM
right well, I am now doing a bit of modelling in this too, can't have James screwing up my designs :D
still very WIP I have only just stuck the ear on and need to work a bit on it shape, but we have "lift off" so to speak :bounce:

Oh and the nose is intentional

http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/exoentity_wips/wip11.jpg

JamesMK
03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
can't have James screwing up my designs :D
The way I see it, there's very little I can do to screw them up any further :D

@ cloned operations - Publicity is pretty cool... about the other stuff; nah, win some, lose some :shrug:

CLONEOPS
03-11-2005, 11:42 PM
flyingP: does the p in the flying actually stand for piggy...or is it a ref to a urine based product?
Tight work on the sketch...and the model ,I realy like the true dome of head in the sketch
and the minimal nose works somehow.

JamesMK:
Okay well i guess i had to clear this up one day.. CLONEOPS refers to
a story idea i had that someday,somewhere,somehow some bright boy is going to clone themselves or somene else in a home lab someday..hence the idea that it might be
called Clone-ops..kinda similar to novel title of TOM Clancy "Op Centre".
-cloneops has been in my email name since forever and a day.

yah ha..Publicity is pretty cool...some recognition is nice.

flyingP
03-12-2005, 07:56 AM
flyingP:Does the p in the flying actually stand for piggy...or is a ref to a urine based product?

depends on what mood I am in :)

flyingP
03-13-2005, 10:23 PM
still working on him :)
http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/eXo.entity_wip12.jpg
http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/eXo.entity_wip12a.jpg

JamesMK
03-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Oooh, didn't catch the side view before :D Looking ace actually!

Disclaimer: this post was not sent from the OP-Center, nor would I admit to be part of the staff on such a center, if it indeed exists, which it doesn't.

flyingP
03-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Oooh, didn't catch the side view before :D [/SIZE]

has something to do with the fact that I didn't send you it

we have an OP-center ???

JamesMK
03-13-2005, 10:49 PM
has something to do with the fact that I didn't send you it
Bastard! That explains it though...

If we do have an OP-center, which we don't, I'm not at liberty to speak about it.

DimitrisLiatsos
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Eyes are very expresional...hmmm...i can't see any olives anywhere though :D

:bounce:

flyingP
03-13-2005, 10:58 PM
.i can't see any olives anywhere though :D

I am hiding them from the Wabbit ;)

CLONEOPS
03-14-2005, 01:20 AM
Any inquiries about an Op-center should be sent to Opcenter.
Inquiries about the address to send inquires about Op-center will be forwarded to the apprpropriate sub- division of Op-center.
Once your Inquiry has passed all the required requisites an in indepth analysis
will be compiled as to the validity of your request.
Questions based on the criteria for a
valid inquiry should be sent to Op-center and cleary marked "potatoes",and including a valid return address.
In the event a package marked "potaoes" arrives at Op-center
a cybernetic squirrel will be dispatched to the location marked return address on such package.
Feeding nuts to the squirrel in the vicinity of the return address will result a small but potent all-obliterating thermonuclear reaction.

Have a nice day
:)

At Op-center we care.
We just have to keep it a secret.

DimitrisLiatsos
03-14-2005, 01:19 PM
..wahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :argh: :scream: :argh: ....oops ..sorry for the useless post ... :argh:

grstovell
03-14-2005, 07:20 PM
The Pig and the wabbit working together!

Ok.. my curiosity muscle is twitching... I think I'll park here for a while and see how things develop.

-g

DenialK
03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Information:

1. I just completed rebuilding the studio I intend to use for acoustic experiments in the future. I will spend 10 days there in the first stint, starting April 25th, in order to record an insane amount of weird noises which may or may not be useful for exo.entity. I shall also try to finish a pseudo version of the score for pre-synchronization-synchronization (:D) soon.

2. Moby once released an album containing all the songs he had composed for film and TV.
The title was "I like to score."

flyingP
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I will spend 10 days there in the first stint, starting April 25th, in order to record an insane amount of weird noises

maybe I should send you my dog Daniel, he's good weird noises........and drooling, farting......damn practically anything disgusting really :argh:

MetasynMan
03-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm new here (as of today) and I'm looking to start a similar project of my own, but more vector-type animation rather than CGI. But this is looking really interesting thus far. I'll be sure to latch on to this one as well and see how it unfolds.

CLONEOPS
03-15-2005, 11:00 PM
maybe I should send you my dog Daniel, he's good weird noises........and drooling, farting......damn practically anything disgusting really :argh:

cripes ,-can you fedex a dog?

DenialK
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM

Sounds promising.. reminds me of James' dogs. Not to mention James himself..

flyingP
03-16-2005, 08:39 AM
cripes ,-can you fedex a dog?

only with a sh*t load of paperwork as I am currently finding out :banghead:

JamesMK
03-16-2005, 08:54 AM
the Rev, MetasynMan : Cool to see you around... hopefully there will be some animation tests coming up soonish (mind you, I have a very flexible definition of the expression 'soonish')

The usual suspects : Mwaahaaa on all counts :D

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered something really important: I have never actually made the mandatory bouncing ball animation that all animator newbs are required by law to make. So, in a feeble attempt to amend this situation, here's my bouncing ball clip -> http://web.telia.com/~u48040664/stuff/bounce.mov

Now, I will hopefully be able to pull through without any risk of attracting the wrath of Saint Sproingo, the almighty God of animation, or subsequent curses upon the project at hand.

DimitrisLiatsos
03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Bouncing ball test passed...now we can go in animating cloth and hair i think....argh ... argh.,...

flyingP
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
bouncing ball??? no one said anything about the bouncing ball in the OP-Center.......whoops sorry I forgot we don't have one :rolleyes:

JamesMK
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Well, I just edited it in my previous post... wasn't really worth bumping the thread for something like that... Glad to hear I passed the test, Dimitris :D

Current work involves the Pig fiddling some more with our lead character Ed, I just made a set of teeth for him this morning, aaaaaaaaand I'm practicing some basic pop-thru animations in order to get up to speed on that bit... nothing show-worthy... so far it pretty much blows, but there is progress too (though I'm sure the Pig would disagree :D )

flyingP
03-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, I just edited it in my previous post... wasn't really worth bumping the thread for something like that... Glad to hear I passed the test, Dimitris :D

Current work involves the Pig fiddling some more with our lead character Ed, I just made a set of teeth for him this morning, aaaaaaaaand I'm practicing some basic pop-thru animations in order to get up to speed on that bit... nothing show-worthy... so far it pretty much blows, but there is progress too (though I'm sure the Pig would disagree :D )

of course.....and it is going to take me ages to clean up those teeth :rolleyes: ..... actually thought it was his foot :argh:

JamesMK
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
of course.....and it is going to take me ages to clean up those teeth :rolleyes: ..... actually thought it was his foot :argh:
Yea yea, not to mention I've had to spend DAYS fixing Ed. I've finally tweaked him into what he was really supposed to look like:

http://web.telia.com/~u48039569/stuff/new_ed.jpg

flyingP
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
well,.... it is an improvement on the boot. :p

DimitrisLiatsos
03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I really don't want to hear about boots ..at least for a while...LOL :scream:

Ed...doesn't have lips? :eek:

JamesMK
03-18-2005, 03:06 PM
I really don't want to hear about boots ..at least for a while...LOL

Mwaahaa! Don't we know it...

So, just because - here's the current status on the actual boot (seriously now):

http://web.telia.com/~u48039569/stuff/exo_entity_wips/boot.jpg

flyingP
03-18-2005, 06:45 PM
right well my Mum is coming over for a visit from New Zealand for the next three weeks, so my progress on this during that time is likely to be reeeeeal slow, so I thought I might as well post where I am ATM.

I have no doubt James will be back with more bouncing balls later though :D

http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/eXo_wip_13.jpg

http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/eXo_wip_14.jpg

http://www.bjread.joice.net/collab/exo_wip_15.jpg

DimitrisLiatsos
03-18-2005, 11:09 PM
First of all the subject BOOTS :scream:....

Wabbit da boot rocks man! yes ..i am taking a good lesson here :applause::applause:

Second shock....

Piggy ....man ...i must thank u now...this wood doll visualization of proportion is a great idea
...i must try this...ok ...i am taking lessons today....that's a good day....

Take care of your Mom..i will be enough trouble in Wabbit's life for the next 3-4 days ..heheheh...

Wabbit ...me wants orthographic views of DA BOOT :D

JamesMK
03-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Wabbit ...me wants orthographic views of DA BOOT :D
Thy wish is my command, masta nutcase

http://web.telia.com/~u48039569/bootortho.jpg

Caine607
03-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Cool boots man, as a whole this porject is comming together really well. Hope to see more.

DimitrisLiatsos
03-20-2005, 05:59 PM
:bounce: DANKO!...very nice :bounce:

Kizza
03-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I love it. Ed is looking really neat. He's kinda creepy but I still have the urge to stroke his head, haha.

ace4016
03-22-2005, 09:06 AM
So this is what you guys have been up to lately. This project seems to match you guys too well.

Droolz
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
It's looking real interesting. Wondering how such a minimal cast is going to interact with such a large enviroment. i wait with baited breath.....

CLONEOPS
04-25-2005, 11:04 PM
memo:JamesM
"However, a slight shift in reality is often more powerful than a massive one."

ps.
just a random collected nibble collected off das net,and i thought it might come in handy.
Seems like a truism and, that if effectively put into production might yield some interesting results and whatnot.
bs.whazup!

tilite
06-05-2005, 07:16 AM
well this looks fantastic.. i have breifly browsed threw all the pages butdont have time to read:sad: ... so im subscribing and ill be back in a few days (when my semester finnishes) and hopfully get you some awesome feedback:thumbsup:

JamesMK
06-05-2005, 09:53 AM
so im subscribing and ill be back in a few days
I'm sure you'll be back before we are :D

"Slight shift in reality" yah, makes sense.

To all of you peeking in, thanks for you visit... In case you're wondering, the project isn't dead, it just seems that way - more stuff coming, I just don't know when exactly.

flyingP
06-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm sure you'll be back before we are :D

"Slight shift in reality" yah, makes sense.

To all of you peeking in, thanks for you visit... In case you're wondering, the project isn't dead, it just seems that way - more stuff coming, I just don't know when exactly.

well I am still working on Ed....a bit at least :D

TheFirstAngel
06-21-2005, 02:52 AM
found u! uuuuhm...me sa like wabbit and piggy show yes. *taking seat and looking excited, popcorn has nice consistence and so amazed spills coke on snoop in front of him* great work from both, impatiently awaiting more :D

userBrian
12-03-2005, 05:57 AM
This is starting to remind me of the movie "Requiem for a Dream".

JamesMK
12-03-2005, 12:56 PM
This is starting to remind me of the movie "Requiem for a Dream".
Yeah, it's all a bit hazy, isn't it? :D

tilite
12-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Bump...

Just checking you still breathing James :curious:

JamesMK
12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Hm, well, I seem to remember taking a breath sometime back in august...

But seriously, the eXo.entity story has suffered a lot from what a coder would call 'creeping featurism' - there's just too much I want to do with it, and that fact has the opposite effect, i.e. nothing ever gets done because I know it's waaaaay too much to handle unless I assemble a team of 20 artists to work on it :D

In the meantime, I'm trying to get my act together on an entirely different story in which I'll keep things as simple as possible instead. We'll see what happens with that one :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2005, 09:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.