PDA

View Full Version : Xl2

BrianHarbauer
03-02-2005, 03:57 AM
CanonXL2

This thread is dedicated to learning features on the XL2, sharing color presets, and other helpfull tips/techniques.

Currently at the moment, my XL2 is in shipment, but in the meantime, I will start off this thread with a question:

Q: After the video is shot in 962x480, is it possible to capture it with premiere with out losing the 962 pixels when capturing FireWire? How is this attained? If there is no answer, I shall find out when I recieve it.

I will try and keep this up to date with new learnings and techniques, maybe as this grows we'll have a special portion dedicated to questions, tutorials, etc.

Bsmith
03-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Hey...

sorry I don't know much about the xl2 and I doubt you will get an answers here.

I suggest you try this fourm....

www.dvxuser.com

Thats personally my favorite resource for anything filmmaking. I'm pretty sure there is a section all about the XL2.

michaeljr
03-07-2005, 03:53 AM
962x480 is not the res that the camera saves.

it's either going to be

NTSC at 720x480 or PAL at 720x576 (not a pal guy, so guessing)

that 926x480 sounds like the res that you would get if you filmed in 16x9 and flattened out the pixel aspect ratio to 1.0

you don't need to worry about that, as you will be just fine when you capture the stream tell premiere you are shooting in 16x9 and it will apply the right pixel aspect ratio. when you edit it will look like 16x9 and on your camera it will look like 16x9. the only time it will not look widescreen is if you edit out to a normal tv. it will looked SQUEEZED, but when you make DVD, you tell the DVD program to make a 16x9 DVD and the DVD player will now what to do

that's it, no worries.

BrianHarbauer
03-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Bsmith, thanks for the info, good resource. During my research before i bought the camera, i read thru there. Thanks for the effort:thumbsup:

michaeljr

962x480 is not the res that the camera saves.

it's either going to be

NTSC at 720x480 or PAL at 720x576 (not a pal guy, so guessing)

that 926x480 sounds like the res that you would get if you filmed in 16x9 and flattened out the pixel aspect ratio to 1.0

you don't need to worry about that, as you will be just fine when you capture the stream tell premiere you are shooting in 16x9 and it will apply the right pixel aspect ratio. when you edit it will look like 16x9 and on your camera it will look like 16x9. the only time it will not look widescreen is if you edit out to a normal tv. it will looked SQUEEZED, but when you make DVD, you tell the DVD program to make a 16x9 DVD and the DVD player will now what to do

that's it, no worries.

I guess my question wasn't worried about getting TO 720x480, it was more if the 962x480 would be preserved on the tape and if it was down-converted afterward. (That was what I was hoping)

I have since received the camera since I've started this thread, and from what I can tell, it's downconverted right away. My hope was that it wouldn't be downconverted so i could composite with a higher resolution picture. I do know that canon has a capture program to download and capture, i haven't downloaded yet as I am on dial up. I was hoping that with this other capture program, the 962x480 might be preserved. Alot like the idea of the HDV camera's. The HDV is saved in MPG on the tape, but a special program/plugin is needed to extract the high-def video, otherwise it could be downconverted for regular DV playback.
I was curious if Canon had it's own codec to be able to capture this way.

But even if this test does not hold true, I must say, there is a noticible quality difference in the widescreen mode and I will soon post some shots to show the difference between a 4:3 chip and the XL2's 16:9 chip.

Thanks for posting guys!

michaeljr
03-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I think you might have miss understood how DV works. For example I have a Sony PDX10 wtih 3CCDs, each one is a mega pixel CCD. well that doesn't mean I will get a file with that amount of res, I will get only 720x480. The same goes for your XL2 and any other DV camera. My PDX10 was the first DV camera to offer a WIDESCREEN capture, as your XL2 does straight to the CCD, so they work the same way. (my PDX10 does not offer a 24p mode)

DV is a format with a SPECIFIC resolution and format. if it's a DV camera it does not matter how large or how many pixels the CCDs have, DV will always be 720x480 at about 3.5mbs. Now the larger your CCDs and the more pixels they have will help the QUALITY of the image that makes it to compression better, but in the end, all DV files are the same.

As soon as the CCD captures the image, it is instantely compressed to DV format then saved to you tape.

Then you have some different types of DV. Like DVCam or DVCPro and other such formats that it's still 720x480 DV but the tapes moves faster.

After that you move up to high end Digital Beta, still 720x480 but with less compression.

The ONLY way to ever get higher res than 720x480 is to use some form of HD

Remember you have NTSC, PAL, and now HD. but NTSC will always be 720x480

So really there is no reason to worry about d/l any special capture hardware. The only way to ever capture the higher res image from a DV camera's CCD is to break open the camera, attach directly to the CCD and come up with some engineering/software process to capture that image to your hd directly.

HDV is a whole different ball game. Yes, it's is higher res, but it to is compressed about as much as DV. It also cost 2 to 3 times as much just for the camera and requires a very fast computer to get anything near real time editing. this would be the way to go if you wanted to over shoot in a higher res then do your effects and down the res to NTSC. the same as ILM use to shoot in Vista 70mm then took that down to 35mm later.

As for DV codecs, yes each camera has it own, then depending on how you capture that it may change. for example when I caputer to my matrox rtx100 it changes it to a matrox DV codec. but all codecs have the same thing 720x480 3.5mbs 4:1:1, across the board

BrianHarbauer
03-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I ran a couple more tests in 16:9 @30p and WOW does it look sharp. I captured at 856x480, not quite 962x480, but, it will do. And boy does it! I captured with Canopus DV Storm.

Sorry i haven't loaded any pics yet... COMING SOON!

BrianHarbauer
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Sorry for the delay, but here's a picture of the front of the scanner. There is absolutly no color correction, detail adjustment, this is just as it came from the camera. The only thing is, I had to put compression quality for the jpeg at 9 so, a little quality loss, but not to noticible, just so cgtalk would accept the attachment.

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67993&stc=1 (http://attachment.php?attachmentid=67993&stc=1)

FPS: 30p
F-stop 1.6
Shutterspeed: 30th
Gain: -3dB
Whitebalance: 56k

Camera preset settings coming soon...

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2005, 07:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.