PDA

View Full Version : Need help with plugins

etsuko
09-19-2002, 02:26 AM
Would someone kindly give me a tutorial on using the LW plugins? I've read my book about a million times but can't seem to find the part where it teaches me on how to incorporate the LW plugins and using them. Sigh... i'm just so embarassed asking this question. Anyway, could someone gimme a place where i could follow steps in using the plugins? or if you're kind enough to explain it here. Thanks. :wavey:

p/s: real big fan of the cel shading stuff... :applause:

CIM
09-19-2002, 03:03 AM
Why don't you actually experiment with them? Also, many of the plugins are covered in the manual, so you could read about them too.

Steve Warner
09-19-2002, 03:11 AM
I'm building a site for beginners dedicated to covering the most common tools and plugins. I'm finishing off a large project now, so there aren't many tutorials up. But I should be working on them again by mid October. Here's the link:

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/

Hope these help a little. :)

Steve

proton
09-19-2002, 03:53 AM
best thing is to play with them and when u get stumped look in the manual...then come and ask the community....we have a great pool of people herre that love to help.

etsuko
09-19-2002, 08:10 AM
Thanks a bunch for the advise. Urm... well, i don't have the copy of the LW manual and i checked the book lots of times but never stated anything about HOW to use the plugins. As for playing around, i know how to add the plugins but just can't find the menu to control the plugin anywhere. :shrug:

I'm real of a noob when it comes to mastering LW. Sorry...

Kaiser_Sose
09-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Lets start with this ... what plugin are you trying to work with ... for example magic bevel, saslite

takkun
09-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Do you mean that you want to add buttons in the menu for plug-ins you've downloaded? I'm asking because I recently had an ordeal when trying to add a master class plug-in button, that's until I found out that you can only add generic plugins to the menu interface.

If you just want to try out a plugin- after installing you can find them under

Construct > Utility > Additional in Modeler

or Scene > Utilities > Generics in Layout

hope that helps

And if you like cel shading then you should try the unreal plugin, search for it on flay.com

proton
09-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Why don't you have a copy of the manual.....did you lose it or did you never have it?

Steve Warner
09-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Ok, I think I know what the problem is. When you add a plugin to Photoshop, it automatically appears under the Filters menu. But when you add a plugin to Lightwave or Modeler, it does not automatically create a button for it. It doesn't just appear in the user interface. If you want a button for a plugin, you need to add it by hand. If you don't want to add a button, you can still access the plugin. In Modeler, go to the Construct tab and click on the Additional button. Scroll down. Your most recently added plugin will be at the bottom. In Layout, go to the Scene tab and click on the Generics button.

If you've gotten to this point and you're still not seeing any controls for the plugin, open up the numeric panel in Modeler. Layout plugins may or may not have their own UI

Hope this helps,

Steve

leigh
09-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Hmmmm you ask some strange questions :)
Like Steve said, it's not like they suddenly appear with little panels on your workspace. You actually have to find them and use them on something. What's the use in activating a plugin panel unless you are actually using it for something?

I thinkt the questions you are asking could mostly be solved with a bit of common sense :shrug:

It's also a very broad question to ask - I mean, which plugins are you trying to use?

Also, even if your copy of Lightwave that you bought did not come with a manual, it does install with a PDF version of it ;) Just look for it in the Online Docs folder in your Lightwave folder.

etsuko
09-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Okie okie.... Whooo, there it is in LW modeler, under that additional utils thing in contruct. :applause: oh well, as for comon sense it rarely works for me coz most the time i'm kinda spaced out. if you catch my drift... LoL! anyway, thanks a bunch people. i really wanted to know how to get them to work coz wanna play with the cel shader. ;)

phlio
09-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Wanted to tack a quick note to Steve Warner here, nice tutorials site! I hope you continue on with that project, I wish that had been there a few years ago! :applause:

That's one of the things I've noticed about the LW community, there are tons of resources out there and tons of people willing to lend a hand here and there to help others learn or help people like me re-learn. It may be the same in other 3D package communities, but I can only speak to my limited LW experience. Thx everyone for the great work and continued help!

Phlio

Steve Warner
09-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Phlio. :) I do plan on continuing with the tutorials around the middle of next month. I'll post a message to the group when new stuff is up.

Cheers!

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.