PDA

View Full Version : cyberpowersystem.com ok place to buy from?

harmonic01
03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Hello guys. Has anyone had any experience with http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/ ? Is it an alright place to buy from? I just want 2 extra cheap mashines for a bit more rendering power.

Thanks allot.

XanderFX
03-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Bought a workstation from them for work about a year ago, They're fine but they are a bit slow when it comes to building and shipping I think my system took about 2 and a half weeks to arrive from my order date. You can pay more to have it rushed but it wasn't in our budget at the time. Now I just buy the parts at Fry's electronics or order from an online site and build it myself in like a day. If you're planning on just building some render machines I built a couple of shuttles with a 2.8Ghz P4 and 512MB of RAM with some geforce fx 5200 for less than $800 and that was 6 or 7 months ago great little render machines.

heres a link to the shuttle cases http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4156853?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

-Vormav-
03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm just going to cut and paste one of my rants from another thread...

"I would definitely recommend finding someone else to buy from.

I didn't exactly have the best experience with them. To start things off, the laptop I ordered from them shipped out over a month past the scheduled shipping date they had posted. Overall, it took me nearly 2 months to get my computer after I ordered.
And of course, when I got it, I got the extra surprise of a dead pixel on the screen.
Then things got fun. When I put in a CD for the first time, it worked, but it made this strange scratching noise, like the top of the DVD/CD-RW combo drive was pressing up against the CD. Sure enough, when I removed the drive from the laptop case, there was a big ol' dent on the top. It looked as if someone had taken a hammer to the top of the drive. You know, just for fun.
I would have just shipped the thing back to them, and demanded a refund. But they charge a 10-15% restocking fee for all of their goods (so in this case, around $160). And of course, I would have had to pay for the shipping as well. And if I just wanted to ship it back to deal with the dead pixel issues and the busted combo drive, I'd still have to pay for the shipping, and I'd have to probably wait a good 3 or 4 weeks to get everything back, based on how quick they seem to be at dealing with this stuff. In the end, after sinking $1600 into my laptop, I found that it was just cheaper, faster and easier to buy a $70 combo drive from Newegg, and forget about the dead pixel. Newegg, of course, got a new combo drive in perfect condition into my hands within a week.

A friend of mine ordered a desktop from them somewhere around this time. His system only took a good 5 or 6 weeks to get to him. Of course, the system also came with a bad PSU, which fried the CPU and motherboard. Fortunately though, he was able to get new parts from them (had to ship back the bad parts though), which only took about 2 weeks, much to our surprise.

Resellerratings.com has their six month rating at an unflattering 6.58, with a lifetime rating of 6.86. That's not that great. Personally, after all that I've been through with buying PC equipment online, I'd never buy from a PC store online with a rating below 7 on resellerratings. And I'd be uncomfortable going with a company rated under an 8. Buy from newegg whenever possible. And for everything else, save yourself from the headaches, and spend a little time shopping around for a place that has nice deals AND the ratings.
I know that with places like resellerratings, it's usually the people that have had problems that leave the reviews. Looking through the reviews though, that's a lot of freaking people that are having problems. And strangely enough, every time I've tried to buy computer parts from a site that had a rating lower than a 7, I had problems, be it painfully slow shipping and processing, bad ram, and whatever else. I think it's a pretty good system to go by.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller6897.html

In short: stay away"

harmonic01
03-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for replies guys. Sorry to hear you had troubles -Vormav-, but thanks for sharing.

Ed Caracappa
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Give me a call. I'd be happy to try and help you out.

Ed

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.