PDA

View Full Version : Compositing 3d animation in real live enviroments. Please help me!

theforce121
03-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi ALL,

I have created an 3d animation is 3ds max and want to add it to a footage i filmed using a DV camera. (so the 3d animation looks like it is part of that footage)

What i have done so far....

I have rendered my animation from 3ds max with a blue background and then improted in to After Effects which i then keyed the blue so my Dv footage appears in the background.

Problems i am having...

When the camera moves in my dv footage it does not match the animation.

Is there a way to match the camera? I am i doing this right? what is the best way to add 3d to a filmed footage?

I am using after effects 6, please please guide me in the right way as every thing i do just does not look right.

I am new to all this and hope i dont sound to silly.

Thanking you all in advance.

Take care

Please Please help me.

John

leigh
03-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Firstly, there is no need to render with a blue background. Render to an 32-bit image-based sequence so that you can use the saved images alpha channel to composite it onto the footage.

Secondly, you have to match-move your camera. There are several software packages available for this (Matchmover, Boujou, etc) but I am not sure how much they cost, or if there are any free ones available. If the camera move is simple, you might want to try matching it by eye.

theforce121
03-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi All,

Thank you for the help Leigh! I now have a clear understanding about camera match, thank you so much.

But i still dont get what you meant by advising me to:

"Render to an 32-bit image-based sequence so that you can use the saved images alpha channel to composite it onto the footage"

are these individual image files? Please could you explain this to me as i really dont understand.

I am really sorry if i do sound silly.

Take care All and thank you

John

polyman
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Personally I like to render out of Max as a Targa Sequence because when you bring it into AE or Combustion you don't have to key anything and it will automatically have no background.

azazel
03-02-2005, 08:24 PM
are these individual image files? Please could you explain this to me as i really dont understand.

Yes, every frame is a separate image file with alpha channel.

michaeljr
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Camera Match in MAX is a joke. It should be removed as it it old technology and seems to only work with just the tutorial file. You need to get yourself another 3d tracking program or do things by hand as you will most likely never be able to measure and track manual marks, not to mention you have to remove those manual marks in AE afterwords.

you need to get yourself a good pixel tracker, like PFHOE http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/contentfull.aspx?content=pfhoe.htm

or a freeware one like the orignial Icarus or Voodoo http://www.digilab.uni-hannover.de/docs/manual.html

all much better than built in with 3dsMax.

and be patient, it's not easy doing this. Tracking and rotoscoping are now their own jobs at most studios. be careful how you shoot your video to. dont be to crazy, be controlled and think about what you are doing and how you are shooting. this can make a world of difference. also with those pixel trackers, you need to make sure your camear is setup right with plenty of contrast for it to find.

also, render to Targas like everyone else said to do. in the MAX file settings, select Targa, 32bit with alpha. that should work just fine for you.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.