PDA

View Full Version : Colour Grading Matrix Style

DR01D*
03-01-2005, 11:34 PM
I have been throught the forums and havent found anything specific to this request so here goes.

I want to achieve a colour effect similar to movies like the matrix. now before all of you jump on me and talk about film, lighting, exposures etc, im thinking in post. I have found many tutorials on acheiving the film look but im after more specific info on contrasts, colour settings, saturation etc.

i am also working in dv so i wont be going down the film road. will be workin with the cannon xl2s and a half decent pc setup. I am an established designer in web and print so i have a good knowledge of colour correcting/manipulation in photoshop but am keen to learn how to do it for video.

thanx.

Ian Jones
03-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Any video app worth using will have colour adjustment tools. If you want better control though you need a compositing app such as Adobe After Effects, Discreet Combustion or Apple Shake... or for ultimate control there are specific colour grading programs, I think 'Da vinci' is one? I'm not sure of the name, google it.

I use AfterFX and I would probably use the channel mixer. Lots of subtle control over tonal changes and colour, especially if you use multiple layers and experiment a bit with blending modes.

DR01D*
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
thanx i have had a play with combustion a while ago and was impressed, didnt use it for what i wanted at the time though. i havent used after effects fully but will have another look.

so are there preset colour adjustments that can give a desired look or is it all pretty much adjust and experiment yourself? I can create a similar style on stills in photoshop, is the concept pretty much the same for dv?

boboroshi
03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
The temperature macro how-to for Shake should give you a pretty good idea. Not sure where they moved it to (can't seem to find it on the site). Basically, the macro was a low-fi grader with two directions: warm and cold. Warm pulled up the reds, cold pulled up the blues. They actually inverted based on how far the slider was in either direction.

If you're looking fora more out-of-the-box solution, I'd suggest Magic Bullet from the Orpahage. Great plugin that will do a lot of what you need it to without crazy tweaking and scripting.

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2005, 06:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.