PDA

View Full Version : CNN:Next-gen Game Boy to Hit Stores This Year?

RobertoOrtiz
03-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Quote:
"While Nintendo's next generation console gaming system likely won't hit living rooms until 2006, that doesn't mean the company won't introduce new hardware this year. A new analyst report suggests the company is planning to ship the next version of the Game Boy portable gaming system by the end of 2005.
If so, that would be the third new handheld gaming system in as many years for Nintendo, whose Nintendo DS was one of the hottest items of the 2004 holiday season and Game Boy Advance SP was one of the must-have gifts of 2003. The new Game Boy would face stiff competition, though, from Sony's PSP – which will hit U.S. stores in March."

>>Link<< (http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/28/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm)
-R

g8ff
03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
i think that article is riddled with inacuracies and conjecture. it would be incredibly stupid to release another handheld months after the release of the ds. this would not only piss off consumers, but hurt the chances of the ds having any success at all. it also says the new unit would be more powerful than the current platforms, yet sell at a lower price point. it doesn't make sense.

heavyness
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
maybe its a new version of the GBA:SP that has some memory built in and ready to play mp3s and videos out of the box.

Chaz
03-01-2005, 08:31 PM
How is it stupid to refresh the GBA line? It's separate from the DS. Even with the DS, my SP is still my favorite handheld....tiny form factor, backlight screen and a ton of games available. I would think that if Nintendo releases a new version and the current SP becomes $50, it'll sell a ton of units.

My guess is that the new unit will have the wireless adapter built in if anything.

dotTom
03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I find it interesting that Nintendo thinks there's a market for both DS and GBA-SP. I mean it's not as if the DS costs that much now and in a years time it'll cost even less. I'd be very interested in knowing what they think separates the two markets, especially what justifies keeping the GBA-SP going (aside from the fact that it's the second best looking handheld after the PSP [ye Gods, what where they thinking when they signed off on the design of the DS, it's a handheld XBox in terms of chunkiness]).

As a friend of mine put it, the only advantage the DS has over PSP is that no one is going to mug you for your DS.

dotTom
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
maybe its a new version of the GBA:SP that has some memory built in and ready to play mp3s and videos out of the box.

Hugely ironic if they did, since Nintendo has publically criticised Sony over PSPs MP3 functionality saying that memory based MP3 players are not as good as hard disc based ones. There's a great bit of sour-grapes from some Nintendo exec concerning PSP in the latest issue of Edge magazine (March, 2005).

Chaz
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
what where they thinking when they signed off on the design of the DS, it's a handheld XBox in terms of chunkiness])

Agreed. Maybe they should be re-working the DS instead of the SP. If they built a newer version with an analogue controller my old DS would be on ebay the same day...I hate playing Mario 64 with the touch screen. It feels unnatural.

chadtheartist
03-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Back when Nintendo first released news about the DS, they stated up front that it was not a successor to the GBA. I don't see why people are so surprised about that, especially since this has been known for quite some time.

AnimBot
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Here's another article. http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8385

AnimBot
03-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh yea and there's this link predicting a new SP and a price drop for the current. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/28/news_6119320.html

Hazdaz
03-02-2005, 01:41 AM
If any of this is true, this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard concerning the gaming industry - and to me, sounds like bad, bad times are coming for Nintendo.

It totaly reaks of desperation from Nintendo - They probably had the DS well into development (game systems take years to develop) and were broad-sided by the PSP's technology. Their only recourse was to continue with the development of the DS so they could cash in on the 04 X-mas season, but probably started on this other, more powerful handheld anyways. There is no way any single company can sustain 3 portable systems.

The only way Nintendo can possibly save a little face would be to have this new handheld be backward compatible with all GBs AND the DS.

They better be prepared for some pissed off consumers.

FloydBishop
03-02-2005, 01:49 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. The DS is too new for the release of another handheld.

AnimBot
03-02-2005, 02:06 AM
If any of this is true, this has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard concerning the gaming industry - and to me, sounds like bad, bad times are coming for Nintendo.

It totaly reaks of desperation from Nintendo - They probably had the DS well into development (game systems take years to develop) and were broad-sided by the PSP's technology. Their only recourse was to continue with the development of the DS so they could cash in on the 04 X-mas season, but probably started on this other, more powerful handheld anyways. There is no way any single company can sustain 3 portable systems.

The only way Nintendo can possibly save a little face would be to have this new handheld be backward compatible with all GBs AND the DS.

They better be prepared for some pissed off consumers.

I don't know why people are surprised. Like chadtheartist said Nintendo was upfront right at the beginning that the DS was not a succesor to the GBA why would you then be surprised that they are continuing the Game Boy line. You also can't be serious to think that Nintendo was just sitting around twittling their thumbs instead of developing to then be blindsided by Sony with a more powerful system. More than likely the DS was the quick response to the PSP to tide over consumers until the next GB unit came out. I highly doubt it was the other way around as you suggest. Do I think early takers of the system will be pissed off? Yes that sucks for them. Let that be a lesson to you boys and girls wait for the system to grow before you decide to buy.

Hazdaz
03-02-2005, 02:20 AM
I don't know why people are surprised. Like chadtheartist said Nintendo was upfront right at the beginning that the DS was not a succesor to the GBA why would you then be surprised that they are continuing the Game Boy line. You also can't be serious to think that Nintendo was just sitting around twittling their thumbs instead of developing to then be blindsided by Sony with a more powerful system. More than likely the DS was the quick response to the PSP to tide over consumers until the next GB unit came out. I highly doubt it was the other way around as you suggest. Do I think early takers of the system will be pissed off? Yes that sucks for them. Let that be a lesson to you boys and girls wait for the system to grow before you decide to buy.

Yea.. like THAT answer is going to not get people pissed. Listen, Nintendo can say ALOT of things - but throughout game system history, when a new system is introduced, there pretty much is the expected norm that it is the new king of the block (atleast from the SAME company) for more than a freakin' year! I mean come on.

Espesially how tight-lipped N is with most all its system developements, are consumers supposed to now be mind-readers when they say "its not the successor"?? I mean the most I would make of that is that its not a GB compatible system.

Simply put, N was totaly blow-freakin' away by the PSPs power and screen and abilities and no way had a system that powerful to compete with it. Seeing as how the whole portable market is N's cash cow, and its last home consoles not being the smash hits that they had hoped for, N NEEDS to be #1 in the portable market to stay alive espesially since the coming home console market is probalby not going to be won by them this time either.

But I guess some people think that Nintendo can do no wrong.

noisewar
03-02-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't think Nintendo can do no wrong, but one thing you have to give them credit for is that they are stubborn about doing things the way they envision. It has led to some great decisions, and some poor ones. In the end, that's how the big N does things, and they have the shortest memories of their own failures, imo. Sometimes, that leads to great things, like getting Final Fantasy on the cube, or getting online play for the Revolution.

AnimBot
03-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Yea.. like THAT answer is going to not get people pissed.

I think people will be pissed off that's why I said it. I mean hell I'd be pissed off too if I purchased a system the day it came out and it turned out to be different from what I expected. Perhaps I should stop buying systems the day they come out.

Simply put, N was totaly blow-freakin' away by the PSPs power and screen and abilities and no way had a system that powerful to compete with it.

Frankly I'm not sure which they were blown away by more the freakin' PSPs power and screen or the 2.84 million DS units sold.

vrf
03-02-2005, 05:20 AM
I tend to lean towards Nintendo in any fanboyism that I may have, but this rumour, if true, certainly gives me pause in my defense of the big N, simply because it would totally dry up software support for a device that was snapped up by a few million people. I guess I could be wrong on that point. There really may be room for a "third tier," but it seems that software companies (Nintendo included) can do only so much.

I don't own a DS, but I do think it's still potentially revolutionary for the industry. There are so many awesome ideas that could be done on this thing and it's just not happened yet. I know it's still early, but the innovative software for the DS better take off soon or this thing is going to end up sitting in a lot of drawers collecting dust.

I do think that Nintendo could really hit a home run with a next-gen portable if it played Gamecube games and GBA games. The launch library would be incredible. Nintendo has openly said that the tiny cube discs could be used in a portable system, so this wouldn't be too far out there. I personally would buy one in a heartbeat.

TumikSmacker
03-02-2005, 05:24 AM
I tend to lean towards Nintendo in any fanboyism that I may have, but this rumour, if true, certainly gives me pause in my defense of the big N, simply because it would totally dry up software support for a device that was snapped up by a few million people. I guess I could be wrong on that point. There really may be room for a "third tier," but it seems that software companies (Nintendo included) can do only so much.

I don't own a DS, but I do think it's still potentially revolutionary for the industry. There are so many awesome ideas that could be done on this thing and it's just not happened yet. I know it's still early, but the innovative software for the DS better take off soon or this thing is going to end up sitting in a lot of drawers collecting dust.

I do think that Nintendo could really hit a home run with a next-gen portable if it played Gamecube games and GBA games. The launch library would be incredible. Nintendo has openly said that the tiny cube discs could be used in a portable system, so this wouldn't be too far out there. I personally would buy one in a heartbeat.

I would too.

Renderman_XSI
03-02-2005, 07:55 AM
I think people will be pissed off that's why I said it. I mean hell I'd be pissed off too if I purchased a system the day it came out and it turned out to be different from what I expected. Perhaps I should stop buying systems the day they come out.

Frankly I'm not sure which they were blown away by more the freakin' PSPs power and screen or the 2.84 million DS units sold.

I dont know about you, im blown away by the fact that the PSP is selling better than the DS for the past couples of weeks. I dont see that trend stoping anytime soon ;)

It goes to show, the importance of third party developer. PSP has more games in development than DS. Once they are release, its going to boost PSP sales even more.

As far as the new system, i would be piss off also, its like having to buy a PS2 and a year later PS4 is out, thats not acceptable. Sounds like a desperate move if they make it.

BTW never goto CNN for your gaming news ;)

AnimBot
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I dont know about you, im blown away by the fact that the PSP is selling better than the DS for the past couples of weeks. I dont see that trend stoping anytime soon ;)

It goes to show, the importance of third party developer. PSP has more games in development than DS. Once they are release, its going to boost PSP sales even more.

As far as the new system, i would be piss off also, its like having to buy a PS2 and a year later PS4 is out, thats not acceptable. Sounds like a desperate move if they make it.

BTW never goto CNN for your gaming news ;)

Actually I don't need to go to any sites for my gaming news ;) Yea that's good news for them I'm glad Sony's selling well. Hopefully they'll keep up the trend and give the GB series a run for it's money but no I'm not blown away by the fact that they're selling well right now because they still have a loooong way to go.

heavyness
03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I dont know about you, im blown away by the fact that the PSP is selling better than the DS for the past couples of weeks. I dont see that trend stoping anytime soon ;))

due to the fact everyone already has a DS.

also, how many parents are going to buy a $250 PSP right after buying a DS for their kids? Nintendo beat them to the market, so we will have to see if Sony can stand their ground and keep selling PSPs.

lovisx
03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
as far as creativity goes I wish the DS was doing better overall. I find the stand nintendo takes with ds a bit more interesting, trying to find new ways to interact with the game enviroment. PSP in my opinion is only made to fill a market gap for those who want a dvd hand held game system. It was created because Sony knew they could make money off it but its nothing creative or inspiring, just made to satisfy the consumers. Kind of like microsoft in general. Bigger means better. Unfortunatly nintendo is hypocritical in its stance sometimes putting out systems like sp and whatever which are just clones with better technology to rake in money from mindless consumers. :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.