PDA

View Full Version : THE COMIC STRIP! : Fabian Hernandez 2005 : "CGNerd"

coCoKNIght
02-28-2005, 03:53 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/cgnerd/strip1.jpg

Does it need more words? :D

Well, ok. I wanted to do something like that for some years now, but somehow eather I didn't find the time or I didn't come up with a funny character / plot.
Well, I don't think this is gonna be a really good comic but I think it'll give me the practice to get there :)
I haven't searched very far: The main character in this strip is supposed to be an exsagerated version of me, the author.

Well I hope you like it. I'll try to make one of these each day, so if you like it, come back tomorrow. :)

Swizzle
02-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Very stylish, me likey! Only one problem, and that's that I had a hard time figuring out what was going on at first. Maybe you should clarify just a little bit.

Bulldog
02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
i cant understand whats going on either :shrug:

coCoKNIght
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Hihi, I thought so.. sorry for that... well, the main character is supposed to represent me in some way... and I just made my first comic strip so the main character also made his first comic strip...
...ehm....
well, anyway, it's night and he's drawing that first comic stip, then he's still drawing and gets tired and when he finally finishes he falls into sleep...
I know it's not good readable and I think there're gonna be more of those but I'm doing this to learn and I hope to be able to fix this problem soon.
Thanks for your input :)

Rudeone
02-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I can see it I think, the character is drawing the comic on his wacom and than falls asleep behind his monitor right?
I have to admit that I first thought the monitor was a trailor when I saw this post before, but at a closer look I figured it was a monitor, maybe it would help if you painted in colour.

Loulu79
03-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Ya know what? U brave...I'm nervous and shaken about sharing my ideas for the first time...And here I was giving Swizzle Stick some good advice not to be nervous...I think I'll go ahead and scribble my ideas down...with at least one panel/page done. Then (since I never done this b4) I'll attached the image to show...I have no idea how to go about it...but since everyone is giving this a try...I'll calm down...and I know I'll be just fine.

Swizzle
03-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Ya know what? U brave...I'm nervous and shaken about sharing my ideas for the first time...And here I was giving Swizzle Stick some good advice not to be nervous...I think I'll go ahead and scribble my ideas down...with at least one panel/page done. Then (since I never done this b4) I'll attached the image to show...I have no idea how to go about it...but since everyone is giving this a try...I'll calm down...and I know I'll be just fine.Well, your advice helped. I'm still nervous, though. Nobody's responded to my thread, and I'm a bit scared of what that means since all the other ones have gotten comments.

Edit: I'm not begging (or asking) for comments, by the way, just still very nervous about doing something like this. Typical.

I do like your style, coCoKNIght, though I think that you could clarify slightly what's going on in the next strip. Perhaps only use borders on one panel, thereby making it a bit clearer that you're going for different panels instead of just one (which is kinda what it looks like now).

Shawry
03-01-2005, 06:20 AM
Its a nice idea using Black and White exclusively, but you've got to be very careful to be able to convey the scene correctly.Maybe try adding another colour as a background?

At first i thought the man was smoking a cigar while watching his baby get burnt to death in its crib. Then he falls alseep in his caravan. I'm serious!

I could see the action after reading your description, but that isnt what a comic is meant to be, you might as well be illustrating story books.

coCoKNIght
03-01-2005, 09:19 AM
True how true :)
Well, I'd not planned on making all strips only black and white, though I'm not going to use colors. But there're gonna be more of those "in front of the pc at night" strips, and these I'm gonna keep just black and white though I'll try to put in more detail to clarify.
Again, thanks for your most apreciated feedback!

Loulu79
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Swizzle Stick...I like both the ones in b & w and in colour. Your strip style is clean clean clean...Good job so far. I ought to experiment here...see if just attachin my character's going to do any good now...

Way to go so far!

Btw: I see u r flooding the thread...but u r brave enough to try it out...at least we're acknowledging the fact that this is new territory for us...but fun...

coCoKNIght
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/cgnerd/strip2.jpg

Strip 2 introducing Patricia, Jeff and Andrew :D!
(I know that you can't see much of them yet :) )
It's still not much of a plot but I hope it's clearer than the first one...

coCoKNIght
03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/cgnerd/strip3.jpg

as promised, another nightshot. Hope it's getting better...

Awoogamuffin?
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I love all three! You've got a great, quirky sense of humour.

I wouldn't worry about the clarity; I understood what was going on, but I needed to make a bit of an effort. But somehow, that fits; the quirky style to go with the quirky humour.

The first strip is a great idea, very intelligent; a sort of self referential, recurring nightmare, where character after character draws characters drawing chracters... nice

The other two are funny too, venting a little cgtalk frustration. Keep it up!

I guess the only problem is the esoteric subject: only cg nerds will really appreciate it.

coCoKNIght
03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Awoogamuffin?: wow, thanks for the flowers! :beer: I'm glad you like it so much!

I guess the only problem is the esoteric subject: only cg nerds will really appreciate it.

I have no problem with that :)

Ilikesoup
03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm liking this, too. It's clear now what's happening and I've only had trouble with the first. Cool that you're doing a comic about creating a comic, especially since the references are specifically for CGTalkers. Love the smiley in your first comic.:D

I like your panel divisions in the 2nd and 3rd comics -- they help to indicate that there are 3 moments in time, and they look better than traditional comics borders. I hope you continue to experiment with your style. Everybody creates their own visual language and it's as much the reader's as the artist's resposibility to adapt IMO.

coCoKNIght
03-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah, the smileys... I was planning on using more of these smileys as I like them very much, good you reminded me 'cause obviously I forgot :D
(that also reminds me of an entire strip idea I came up with and forgot... why do I forget such things so easily? One idea I had I forgot almost immediatly: I came up with the idea (was more like casual) and it was very funny and then tryed to visualize the idea again but coudn't remember...
... ok, I was drunk, maybe it's because of that :D
anyway thanks for reminding me! :beer:

coCoKNIght
03-03-2005, 08:32 AM
http://www.fabianhernandez.ch/cgnerd/strip4.jpg

I really had a similar dream once after modelling too much. It wasn't freightening or so but I wanted to dream something decent, and just had to model on in my dreams... made me angry...

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
FYI

THE COMIC STRIP 2.0: New Rules...(NEED YOUR INPUT) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=258630)

I would love to hear your ideas.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 04:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.