PDA

View Full Version : creating /naming surfaces????

MikeMD
02-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Have more time to try XSI again. Looking through the manual, I can't seem to be able to find it.

In Lightwave, lets say you have a plane or a rectangular object, you can simply select x number of polygons on the object, hit q key and name that new surface. The rest remains as the old surface. From there I can apply grass texture or water to the newly created one, and the rest of the object can be dirt or whatever. Can have as many surfaces as I like on a single object

My question is. What is the equivalent to this in XSI. I know it's there, either I'm too sleep deprived or this is just not as obvious as it should be. Seems that the whole object is just treated as one single surface and I can only apply my textures/shaders to the whole object.

alona
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
I think you need to look into Clusters. (basically, select bunch of polygons, hit "Cluster" button at the bottom right, and you can now change the texture of those polys and do much, much more).

HTH,

AA

EdHarriss
02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
- Clusters are good for some things, but beware when assigning materials to them.
- There can be problems with pass creation and overrides when you do that.

troyer
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Ed, what workflow are you suggesting if there might occur problems with passes when using clusters? Are there any other ways, except maybe UV maps?

EdHarriss
02-28-2005, 04:35 PM
- I use images and alpha channels to blend everything together.

bravmm
02-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi,

creating your clusters, putting them in groups and assigning the material to the group is also an option. Never had much problems with this approach too. Easiest for smaller objects in by texture thoug like Ed advised.

cheers,

rob

MikeMD
02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
So what is the best way to create a landscape?

In Lightwave this is the way I do it, and it seems the quickest to me.

Create an object ( plane probably ), either deform it using procedural texture, or just drag points until you have valleys/peaks/mountains.

Then select some polygons I want to be water, hit Q key, name the surface water and assign texture to it.

Then select polygons which make up the mountain and hitQ again, assign rocky or snowy texture. For grassy parts, just select those polygons , hit Q and assign grass texture.

I'll try clusters later tonight, but is that what you'd use for something like a landscape described above?

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.