PDA

View Full Version : secondary animation setup

quyeno
02-28-2005, 11:07 AM
hi guys,

does anyone know of a tut or mel to setup secondary motion, like for antenna's, etc....
preferably without the use of dynamics if possible. I came across a tut ages ago but can seem to find it :o(

cheers
quyeno

cpan
02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
hmmm, why not dynamics? They simply make your job easyer.
BTW search this forum cause there is a post about this

quyeno
02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
hi yashu,

i don't want to use dynamics cos its seems a bit too extravagant just for things like antenna and is to be used on joints. I had a good search but there doesn't seem to be much.

thanks
quyeno

FloydBishop
02-28-2005, 05:06 PM
There are some scripts on High End 3D (the names of which escape me at the moment) that use expressions to fake dynamics, adding rotational values down a joint chain. You might try a search there.

Good luck, and post some results!

cpan
02-28-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't know how to do it without dynamics ( it's too hard ), but you can simply create your joints for the antenna and then create a curve passing through the joints ( use V to snap ). From know you simply go to the Spile IK options, select the custom curve checkbox, and then with your joints and curve selected click OK. Now go to hair menu ( maya 6 or later) and make your curve dynamic then set the locked points for it ( tip, base or custom with constraints ). Parent the follicle to something ( eg. a locator or a head) and you'll see that when moving the locator/head/etc the antenna will move pretty realistic.
If you don't have maya 6 ( wich makes this very easy ) you can use Alin Sfetcu's as_makeCable script ( a newer version may be on highend3d ).

CaptainSam
02-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Im too lazy to do the dynamics myself, so Ive used the Dynamic Secondary Animation script that comes with Alias Bonus Tools to do, guess what, an antenna, on a number of commercials.

THeres a script called Jiggle on Highend that uses expressions based on the accelleration and decelleration of an object. Its a bit more difficult than the BonusTools script, but I highly reccomend it

quyeno
03-01-2005, 09:07 AM
thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

steveblake
03-09-2005, 01:44 PM
or...there's a nice video tutorial on this for (older versions of) Maya here at LostPencil (http://www.lostpencil.com/free.html)
[scroll down "Free Maya Video Tutorial!"]

;)

quyeno
03-09-2005, 02:40 PM
cheers mate, thanks for the tip.

Andrei2k
03-10-2005, 01:18 AM
The solution I would recommend is to use the frameCache Node.

quyeno
03-10-2005, 08:26 AM
hi andrei,

yeah i've heard of that method but have found nothing on it! plus i'm a mel person. do you have a link to a tut using this method?

thanks dude

Andrei2k
03-12-2005, 06:56 AM
sorry i've been busy I will try to ecplain and edit this post tomorrow

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2005, 06:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.