PDA

View Full Version : THE COMIC STRIP! :Theresa Ryan 2005 : The JeSTeR

paperclip
02-28-2005, 10:32 AM
My comic strip is now a work in progress! It's going to center around a genius economist who becomes a court jester. His story! His life! His passions! It's set in 11th C Ireland (cue monks, the invention of guiness, amazing medieval illumination and the great castle of Dunsany in Co. Meath)

http://www.dunsany.net/castle1.htm
The style will be rather realistic and the main characters will be:

Ruairi (Rory) Gallagher (named for the musician!):

The main character, Ruairi comes up with a great idea to turn around the economy of his homeland, from a struggling potato land into a comfortable place where every family is able to have their own horse and circa 2. acres of land. His idea is great but he must bring it before the Lord, who, busy as he is with complaints from his tenants and worried about reports of a great plague from abroad, ignores him. Rory decides the only way to get Richard de Lacy's attention is to get closer to him, which he does by becoming a court jester.

Richard More:

Influential anglo irish landlord, he lives before the Statute of Kilkenny which forbade people to intermarry the Irish and so has taken an anglicized version of an irish name from his father, Conaire Mór Og, who was one of the last princes of Tara. Also known as Big Richard. Enough history, more story! He is a rather neutral figure in the story.

Conall de hOra:

Rory's friend in the castle, Conall is the executioner in the castle and plays host to a rather interesting cast of criminals. Rory ends up spending a lot of time in the dungeon, extracting information and, um, liberating. Conall also happens to have a rather beautiful daughter who works both as a handmaid within the castle and also as a death mask maker.

Father Liam:

The chaplain of the castle, Fr. Liam ministers to the people of the keep and is an adviser to Richard. He has connections both with the aristocracy and the irish rebels.

There are a lot of knights in this, duels, battles, feasts and weddings. Keep updated!

There are more but that's all I'm going to give you for now. I'm starting the character sketches soon. If anyone wants to come in with me on this, feel free to let me know!

------
paperclip

Jasel
02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Hehe, it's sounding good... are you planning to include many irish cultural references? Some people might not get those (me included).
Good luck!

paperclip
02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
No, no, it's just a background type of thing, most of it will be quite mainstream. I just figured it'd be good since I'm surrounded with plenty of reference material here!! All the irish refs have already been covered, from now on it'll be normal mediaeval stuff......which I've always thought was fun!!

Swizzle
02-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like fun. I always enjoy medieval stuff. When do we get a peek at character designs and such?

Ilikesoup
02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm eager to see if this will be a (intentionally) funny comic -- the economist turned fool sounds like it's full of comic potential, not to mention the executioner with a conscience.

paperclip
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Hopefully it'll be funny! That's my intention, however who knows how it'll turn out. Sorry I'm taking so long to post the wip/finished stuff- I'm trying to fix my medion tablet, it's suddenly changed over to a new setting- one where it just jumps all over the place and i can't really touch the pad without it moving like crazy. plus it seems to have a two inch area on the pad which corresponds to the entire monitor. :sad:

Any tips would be more than welcome. I want to get away from my mouse!

The Damned
03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Really liking the sound of this one.
Lots of detail already and I'm looking forward to seeing Conall and his daughter, lol.

For some reason I now have a picture of Seinfeld (sp?) in a jesters costume. (Think I saw it on Family Guy).

Looking forward to your sketches.

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2005, 04:28 PM
FYI

THE COMIC STRIP 2.0: New Rules...(NEED YOUR INPUT) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=258630)

I would love to hear your ideas.

-R

paperclip
07-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Will do. I have a different idea for the story line though. Will get started on that one & make a new thread for that version...

Gord-MacDonald
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I am waiting with baited breath! :thumbsup:

Gord

Gord-MacDonald
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Hopefully it'll be funny! That's my intention, however who knows how it'll turn out. Sorry I'm taking so long to post the wip/finished stuff- I'm trying to fix my medion tablet, it's suddenly changed over to a new setting- one where it just jumps all over the place and i can't really touch the pad without it moving like crazy. plus it seems to have a two inch area on the pad which corresponds to the entire monitor. :sad:

Any tips would be more than welcome. I want to get away from my mouse!

I have had the same problem with my wacom (graphire) - the solution was as crazy as the behaviour - I moved my computer! (possible cause: radio frequency interference, electrical, aliens :shrug: )

Gord

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2005, 06:01 PM
My friend, you an do whatever you want. It is your baby.

-R

paperclip
07-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I have had the same problem with my wacom (graphire) - the solution was as crazy as the behaviour - I moved my computer! (possible cause: radio frequency interference, electrical, aliens :shrug: )
Gord

Aliens? :argh:

Not to worry, I have my tinfoil helmet ready...bring 'em on!:deal:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/66/Foilhat2.jpg/300px-Foilhat2.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Foilhat2.jpg)

jmBoekestein
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
So like... what's it gonna look like? : .

You got funny voices in your head too...you think tin 'll help for me too? :surprised or maybe I could scratch them out...:)

Oh yeah, stop buying cheap crap...and reset your mapping for the tablet. Mine jumps from screen 1 to screen 2 at times...it's windows that confuses it. However 'unlikely' that may sound.

curious to see what you come up with...:)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.