PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Oscar winners

Wes_Brown
02-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Go Chris! Ryan was the bomb! It was nice to see you get that shiny little man! Your work has been really interesting and thought provoking through the years and you continue to make this medium safe for people willing to take a chance with their themes. CONGRATS!!

js33
02-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Congratulations to Pixar and Brad Bird for Best Animated Picture and to Chris Landreth for Ryan. Also Incredibles for best sound mixing and of course Jamie Fox for Best Actor.
All well deserved. Not so sure about the best director and best picture awards but then again I haven't seen Million dollar baby.

Cheers,
JS

sphere
02-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Yes, congrats :applause:

lildragon
02-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Kudos on the award, nice to see a Canadian taking home the Gold man.

-lild

jlelievre
02-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Way to go Chris and the crew at Seneca College!!! :thumbsup:

Ckerr812
02-28-2005, 02:22 AM
I am so proud of Chris and the canadian film board, seneca, a truely great piece of art he has made, and he's a great guy. I hope he enjoys this and all that comes with it :)

It was a great year for Short animations this year, I wish they could give out more then one to Tim Millar and Blur as well...

but truely that was the best category of the night :)

Miep
02-28-2005, 02:27 AM
I was cheering for Ryan as well! I've seen the condensed version on this year's SIGGRAPH's DVD and thought it was amazing. Does anyone know where I can get the full version?

edited: although I was pleasantly surprised that Birthday Boy was nominated as well. Although the look of the Boy was kinda off, the movie still told a painfully poignant story in almost no words. :-)p I hope this last sentence made sense.

Ckerr812
02-28-2005, 02:28 AM
I was cheering for Ryan as well! I've seen the condensed version on this year's SIGGRAPH's DVD and thought it was amazing. Does anyone know where I can get the full version?

http://www.nfb.ca/ryan/

click on the order button on the side. You also get the documentry, and a few other goodies...a very good buy!

science
02-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Absolutly Awesome, and well deserved!

You can get the film here, http://www2.nfb.ca/boutique/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?minisite=10005&site=&respid=50409&language=US

_Science

jdsb
02-28-2005, 02:33 AM
makes me feel proud to be from seneca,amazing man,simply incredible....congrats

baby
02-28-2005, 02:35 AM
To Chris and Brad !

Irratio
02-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Brad & Bird, Larkin & Landreth, this is a good day for the community.

ceql
02-28-2005, 03:11 AM
Wow!! woohooo!! Congrats!! :bounce: :applause:

Cathy
02-28-2005, 03:16 AM
Congrats Chris! You make us all so proud and remind us of what is possible. This is a stunning and well deserved achievement. Bravo!-Cathy

Tommy Lee
02-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Gongratulations and stay on that road...:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

levin
02-28-2005, 03:26 AM
congratulations!! i was clapping to the tv. you are an inspiration to all chris!

Necron-99
02-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Congratulations, nervous one! hahaha... you are a god.

de_tomato
02-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Yeah, congratulation to those winners, exspecially Jamie Foxx with his great acting in Ray.

But however, am I the only one that wasnt satisfied with MILLION DOLLAR BABY grabbing the best film and directing? I dont know, Im probly am bias, but personally, I dont think MILLION DOLLAR BABY should be nominated at all. It wasnt up to the standart where it should get any award. Its just a typical movie which had nothing special or inspiring. I had seen better. Maybe its showed that the movie industry in 2004 was really bad.

And again, just my opinion, no offend to Clint Eastwood's fans.

Para
02-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Singers sucked but winners rocked, congratulations to everyone! :applause:

Signal2Noise
02-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Yes, congrats to most of the other winners.

Huge props to Chris! I spilled my scotch in excitement when his name and short was announced as the winner.

And I'm really glad The Incredibles took Best Animated Picture. :thumbsup:

SheepFactory
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Congrats to Chris Landreth and all the other oscar nominees , they were all top quality and inspirational work.

Zack
02-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Lot's of good nominees.

Why, oh why, did Beyonce have to sing every god damned song? She was up there three times. I thought they were joking by the third time. Is there no one else in Hollywood who can sing? Was everyone else sick?

Zack

AsurA
02-28-2005, 04:29 AM
:thumbsup: Congrats..

eh
02-28-2005, 04:33 AM
I hope we see more Canadians being recognized for there work!! An inspiration to us all!!

AirbORn
02-28-2005, 04:45 AM
COngrats! When I saw this short film at the Toronto Films Festival, I never though it would make it this far. But I am glad it did. You deserve that award my friend. Take care!!

Miep
02-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks, Ckerr812 - bought the DVD on impulse :-)

chendo
02-28-2005, 04:53 AM
At last Chris Landreth Win, Big fan of all your films and a big inspiration since I talk to you when study in Canada (Gran pais, Excelente People go Canada ).

Rosendo
Sl25
Panama city , Panama

SheepFactory
02-28-2005, 05:02 AM
In case you guys are not familiar with Bill Plymptons work he is pretty awesome too:

http://www.plymptoons.com/gallery/gallery.html

all those shorts nominated deserve to be in any animation fans collection.

Julez4001
02-28-2005, 05:13 AM
Lot's of good nominees.

Why, oh why, did Beyonce have to sing every god damned song? She was up there three times. I thought they were joking by the third time. Is there no one else in Hollywood who can sing? Was everyone else sick?

Zack

Come on dude Name one "pop" ? artist they could have gotten.

Christinia can sing a little but she has no grace and pushes the slutty dismeanor

Brittany can't sing.

The simpson girls can't sing.

Janet is queenof the pop-tarts

Whitney Houston can't do Whitney Houston anymore (blame Bobby)

Celine just have one genre niche.

I guess Alicia keyes had a sore throat but she has a jazzy, bass voice anyway.

polyman
02-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Congrats Chris. Like someone mentioned before I too am proud to be a Seneca alumni.

Lunatique
02-28-2005, 05:43 AM
I'm glad that Ryan won. We need more profound and emotion-driven works in CG. It's a shame that most CG filmmakers don't think past the cutesy/slapstick/quirky/action stuff, because unless more do, CG films just won't be taken serious as a form of artistic expression beyond commercial/academic purposes.

Michael Hovan
02-28-2005, 05:46 AM
It was very touching and moving to see you up there dedicating the award.
Very good!!!

AlexAlvarez
02-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Indeed... dunno if you frequent this place, Chris, but Congratz man. How amazing was that to see you on tv accepting an oscar. Super cool. How bizzare. You handled the speech really well. I have to say that I really enjoyed your presentation at 3DF last year and that Ryan is really well done. As people have said, its nice to see shorts that aren't -all- about humor and being cute... but shorts that have meaning and are thought provoking.

Chris was the first CG 'star' that I met years ago... after 'The End' and while you were working on 'Bingo'... I got to drive you around all day when you visited LA to show some studios early beta work with Maya (8 yrs ago... when we were both @ alias). back in the day indeed. Perhaps you wouldn't remember, but I do... :) Well, it was a pleasure then, and was a pleasure to see you win such a deserved accolade.

congratz...

-Alex

Julez4001
02-28-2005, 06:14 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/155512/70_2_clint_hilary.jpg

Is it me or does Hilary Swank look like Halle Berry in this picture.

Hilary is of Native American and Spanish descent but jeez they look like twins.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Oh Yeah Congratulations Chris and wonderful speech on backing up the animation community at large.

Bulldog
02-28-2005, 06:22 AM
is there a place where you can watch the speeches everyone gave?

malducin
02-28-2005, 06:31 AM
The official Academy site has alreay posted (text, not video) all the speeches givern:

http://oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/index.html

kiaran
02-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Congratulations! Good day to be a Canadian animator! Brilliant work, and the speech was great. Poignant and pleasant. It sounded the least forced/contrived/nervous of all the speeches I heard. This deserves a butt rock (and I use these VERY sparingly). :buttrock::applause::buttrock:

maninflash
02-28-2005, 06:57 AM
I think Gopher Broke should have won the best animated short award. But the academy doesn't like films with no dialouge or animal characters.

SheepFactory
02-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I think Gopher Broke should have won the best animated short award. But the academy doesn't like films with no dialouge or animal characters.

"for the birds" won the oscar not too long ago ;)

maninflash
02-28-2005, 07:05 AM
"for the birds" won the oscar not too long ago ;)

Yes, maybe if Gopher Broke was made by Pixar, it would have won the oscar too ;)

SheepFactory
02-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Yes, maybe if Gopher Broke was made by Pixar, it would have won the oscar too ;)

You havent done your homework , take a look at the past winners and you'll see quite a lot of "non talking animal" shorts that won the award.

maninflash
02-28-2005, 07:29 AM
You havent done your homework , take a look at the past winners and you'll see quite a lot of "non talking animal" shorts that won the award.

That's true, I think I was wrong there. But my point here is, the academy doesn't always judge the films solely based on their quality. Politics has a role, also WHO made the film plays a big role in their final deciesion.

I'm not trying to discredit Ryan or Chris Landerth, it is a great short film, but I think GB deserved to win the award.

RayenD
02-28-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm glad that Ryan won. We need more profound and emotion-driven works in CG. It's a shame that most CG filmmakers don't think past the cutesy/slapstick/quirky/action stuff, because unless more do, CG films just won't be taken serious as a form of artistic expression beyond commercial/academic purposes.

Sorry, I just quoted your words, because this is exactly what I think.

Congratulations to Larkin and Landreth, National Film Board of Canada and Seneka College.

I am very curious what Larkin will do now.. I hope it turns out well for him.

Cameo
02-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Congrats to Chris, Dave and everyone else involved.

spiraloid
02-28-2005, 08:15 AM
way to go chris! It was great seeing you on TV. I'm sure canadian animators the world over are beaming with pride. well done chris!

-bay

imageworks
02-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Way to go boys!
Keep pushing those pixels and kicking a$$.

beaker
02-28-2005, 08:49 AM
That's true, I think I was wrong there. But my point here is, the academy doesn't always judge the films solely based on their quality. Politics has a role, also WHO made the film plays a big role in their final deciesion.Yea, it couldn't possibly have won because other people have a different opinion than you and thinks that Ryan was better. Always have to blame it on Politics.

Don Kayote
02-28-2005, 08:53 AM
YaY! a fan boy thread :)

IMHO spider-man 1 was better.

kemijo
02-28-2005, 08:59 AM
A big congratulations to Chris Landreth, Dave Bachelor, Dave Baas, Bill Dwelly, and all the rest of the Seneca College and other crew that worked on this stunning short film. An outstanding acehivement! Well done!

elektronaut
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
my respect for you guys. ;) im deeply imprested. keep it on! ;)

alexyork
02-28-2005, 09:01 AM
congratulations Mr. Landreth! The sole reason I discovered CG (through Bingo). What an inspiration.

SamChen
02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Congratz to Chris Landreth & Ryan Larkin. I agree that hopefully, this could serve as a encouraging wake-up call for Mr.Larkin to get off the streets and start working again. "Ryan" was deserving of the Oscar.. not because of its polishness or even animation (arguably not the best in the bunch), but because it was the most audacious, risky, and thought-provoking. It also broke some new ground in my humble opinion.

My favorite part was that each of the 5 nominated filmmaking teams were given face time as they were each introduced. In previous years, you saw either short clips of their films or just a mention of the titles and the directors. This year, the animated shorts filmmakers were given a face finally. So I was thrilled to see all 5 (all friends or acquaintances) sitting together in solidarity. That was a nice touch and I felt warm and fuzzy and proud to be an animation filmmaker. :thumbsup: Can't say that's ever happened before in previous oscar ceremonies.

Of course, the other highlights were Brad Bird finally getting his due recognition, and Edna Mode stealing the limelight from Mr.Bond himself.

ilasolomon
02-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Politics has a role, also WHO made the film plays a big role in their final deciesion.

I only remember 'The ChubbChubbs' which is an issue here! ... well, maybe Geri's game too! I like pixar's shorts, but I dont remember they have won any other major festival prizes, well, I have to make a search. (actually they are just for fun and technical researches)

imageworks
02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
straight up...you would be stoked too if you worked on an Academy winner.

YaY! a fan boy thread :)

IMHO spider-man 1 was better.

Spc
02-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Congrats Chris.
:applause: :applause:

kmest
02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
they did great jobs on both of them,and they deserve this. :applause:
to CHRIS and BRAD:congratulations :applause: :applause: :bowdown:

i hope one day i go top of that stage and catch my own oscar.....and i hope halle berry or peter jackson give it to me,spielberg,james cameron and tim burton are OK too. :p

send2raj
02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
:applause: :applause: congratulations Chris and brad. You guys definitely deserve an oscar:thumbsup:

chadtheartist
02-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Congratulations to all the winners and Nominees!

laber
02-28-2005, 02:30 PM
beautiful, awesome, great .. :)

Gentle Fury
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, congratulation to those winners, exspecially Jamie Foxx with his great acting in Ray.

But however, am I the only one that wasnt satisfied with MILLION DOLLAR BABY grabbing the best film and directing? I dont know, Im probly am bias, but personally, I dont think MILLION DOLLAR BABY should be nominated at all. It wasnt up to the standart where it should get any award. Its just a typical movie which had nothing special or inspiring. I had seen better. Maybe its showed that the movie industry in 2004 was really bad.

This was because they applied the academy rule that i was so flamed for in a previous thread.....but it is SO true!!

If a film has anything to do with Clint Eastwood, Sean Penn or Nicole Kidman, or is a musical....or about the holocost....it WILL win at least one oscar....if not all.

Seems like you can add Leo DeCrapio to that list now too......god, I used to respect the Academy.....sad.

But Congrats to Chris!!! You have always been a personal hero of mine. (I used to have a framed picture of the guy in Bingo on my desk!)

I was also glad to see Eternal Sunshine at least get recognized, even though it should have been best piture.....best director.....best editing.....best actor (Jim Carrey finally being an amazing actor!!), best actress....even all the supporting cast was superior in my opinion....

oh well theres no accounting for taste.....or politics for that matter.

Julez4001
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
and I quote:

Pixar's win (its second in the four years of a best animated category), came at the expense of "Shrek 2 (javascript:void(window.open('http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/oscars/shrek2.html','nominee_window','toolbar=no,width=620,height=650,left=0,top=30,status=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes')))" and "Shark Tale (javascript:void(window.open('http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/oscars/sharktale.html','nominee_window','toolbar=no,width=620,height=650,left=0,top=30,status=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes')))," both made by DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. All of the animated movies, however, have made more than any of the best picture nominees: $259 million for "The Incredibles," $436 million for "Shrek 2" and $160 million for "Shark Tale."

In his acceptance speech, director Brad Bird thanked Pixar and Apple Computer Inc. CEO Steve Jobs for "making the best studio on the face of the earth."

General Electric Co., parent company of Universal Studios, also scored with a best-actor win by Jamie Foxx (javascript:void(window.open('http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/oscars/jamiefoxx.html','contrib_window','toolbar=no,width=620,height=600,left=0,top=30,status=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes'))) for "Ray (javascript:void(window.open('http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/oscars/ray.html','nominee_window','toolbar=no,width=620,height=650,left=0,top=30,status=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=yes')))." The stakes for a potential post-Oscar box office boom were especially high: For the first time in 15 years, no best picture nominee had grossed more than $100 million.

------------------------

Now all the major studios have set up divisions to produce similar low-budget but high-minded films, a new industrywide subsystem dubbed "Indiewood."

yumtom
02-28-2005, 03:25 PM
How cool is that - but i like BIRTHDAY BOY much more.

MartinGFoster
02-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Way to go boys!
Keep pushing those pixels and kicking a$$.

A big congrats for Spider-Man 2. It's nice to even work on a nominated film (that's as far as I've gotten in my career) but winning must be especially cool. So even if you didn't win, you can still be proud to get in the short list.

A big congrats to "Ryan" by Chris Landreth. I was highly inspired by "The End" in the early days of my career. I think that was perhaps his first CG short. I still can't get some of the wild dialogue out of my head for "the End". He's a very talented guy with an interesting abstract style.

jschleifer
02-28-2005, 05:06 PM
gotta add my voice to the throng of contrats. :)

Congrats Chris, Brad, and Anthony LaMolinara (spidey 2! woot!)

big ups to all yall for pushing boundaries fighting against the machine.

now, I'm not sure what the machine is, but I know you'd each fight against it, if ya could.

:)

glass o' champers for ya!

-jas

HapZungLam
02-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I was so stupid. I didn't notice guy(Chris) that I saw him around at Seneca College all the time is going tobe the Oscar winner. DAmn what I was. Congrat Chris, and the crew (especially Paul Kohut and Wadi who are the animators of the show)

Artbot
02-28-2005, 05:37 PM

You are not alone. I liked the film, and Eastwwod's work in general, but it was nowhere near Best Picture material. Seems Hollywood is in love with Eastwood and his newfound humanism and rewards him for that. Always glad to see Morgan Freeman recognized for the genius he is, though.

IMHO, Eternal Sunshine got completely robbed (except for screenplay). That was the best movie I saw in the theater last year and it was barely nominated for anything.

ariedam
02-28-2005, 05:54 PM
RYAN....hummm let me see, I know, :buttrock: Great visual short film but unlucky for Ryan who suffer almost all is life by the snoobish and hypocrit sociaty who pushed the carpet under his feet, (His dream vanished) and he found himself homeless and backrupt, not far from our present days:sad:

At least someone have guts, to show some rality, and psycadellic effects ( Drugs oriantated, or not, thats the question ).

alexyork
02-28-2005, 06:13 PM
While we're on topic, anybody know if the SE DVD is available to the UK? nfb seem to only ship to canada/USA. cheers.

cramer3d
02-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Congratulations to Sony Imageworks on their great work on Spiderman 2. They deserve to win for a long time and finally get it.

Great Work!

Bentagon
02-28-2005, 09:56 PM
If a film has anything to do with Clint Eastwood, Sean Penn or Nicole Kidman, or is a musical....or about the holocost....it WILL win at least one oscar....if not all.

Seems like you can add Leo DeCrapio to that list now too......god, I used to respect the Academy.....sad.Ooh! So THAT's why Birth and The Assassination of Richard Nixon won those awards! And that's why both The Chorus and Der Untergang won the award for Best Foreign Film! And of course, who was I to think that The Aviator was just a good film by a great and acclaimed director with a clear vision? Thanks for clearing that up...

Anyhoo... Big congrats to Chris and Bird, who both deservidly won! Both of their films have broken boundaries in content of animated films. Super job!

- Benjamin

Bulldog
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Ooh! So THAT's why Birth and The Assassination of Richard Nixon won those awards! And that's why both The Chorus and Der Untergang won the award for Best Foreign Film! And of course, who was I to think that The Aviator was just a good film by a great and acclaimed director with a clear vision? Thanks for clearing that up...

Anyhoo... Big congrats to Chris and Bird, who both deservidly won! Both of their films have broken boundaries in content of animated films. Super job!

- Benjamin

Just disregard Gentle fury , he doesnt like films that are not up to the quality of "cursed" and "final fantasy the spirits within" ;)

beaker
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
This was because they applied the academy rule that i was so flamed for in a previous thread.....but it is SO true!!

Seems like you can add Leo DeCrapio to that list now too......god, I used to respect the Academy.....sad.I guess I need to repeat myself. God forbid anyone else has a different opinion on what they consider an oscar worthy movie. Yup, must be political, couldn't possilbly be because anyone else likes that piece of shite.

Kidding aside, my friends and I saw this movie when it first opened in LA back in December not knowing anything about it (it didn't open in the rest of the country till the end of January, so there were no reviews, no nothing on it). I didn't even know Clint Eastwood directed it till the end. We all came out of that movie thinking it was an amazing movie and should get an oscar for it.

BRUTICUS
02-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I seen hotel riwanda and ray and the aviator

Don Cheadle should have won best actor for Riwanda

Of the nominees listed Aviator should have won best picture

6foot5
03-01-2005, 01:23 AM
pls people, dont take the oscars so seriously, sure there is politics at work, but who cares. The number of awards won has never been a measure of a film for me.

The important thing for me was who was wearing the prettiest dress. :rolleyes:

Vincent-Lin
03-01-2005, 01:52 AM
:thumbsup: Realy cool and awesome !

de_tomato
03-01-2005, 02:04 AM
pls people, dont take the oscars so seriously, sure there is politics at work, but who cares. The number of awards won has never been a measure of a film for me.

The important thing for me was who was wearing the prettiest dress. :rolleyes:

I care. Probly paying a 'tribute' to Clint is more important than giving the award to those who really deserve it.

Anyway, Spotless Mind really awesome, or maybe I just dont understand it the first time, thats why i went for second time. One kind of a movie. Too bad cant see Jim at the ceremony.

6foot5
03-01-2005, 02:25 AM
..and who is to say just whom really deserves an Oscar?. Its a subjective thing, we all like different films, perhaps a public vote then? or the highest grossing film? perhaps not. there dosnt seem to be any fair way to do it simply because the whole notion of a 'best' film is nonsensical.

Kanga
03-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Read the article in 3Dworld havent seen the film but loved the images and the story.

Inspirational stuff!

The Time Serpent
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Congrats to Chris, Dave and everyone else involved!
I feel all giddy of being around the place where all that magic happened...
as a proud alumni of Seneca's DMC (yeah DMC! i reject the AAC name! right Cameo?)

maninflash
03-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Yea, it couldn't possibly have won because other people have a different opinion than you and thinks that Ryan was better. Always have to blame it on Politics.

I don't blame anything on politics. I liked Gopher Broke, you liked Ryan, it's a matter of opinion. But if you take a look at the big picture, politics does play a role in everything in this country, even in my 8 year old son's school art show.

I didn't like Ryan becasue it was heavily based on effects, I prefer a film to have a great and entertaining story with good character animation rather than "cool effects", specialy a film that wins the oscar, but again, that's only my preference.

VM
03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
"Gopher Broke" was a really good animation short, but not as good as "For the birds", not by far!

I'm really happy Chris won the Oscar, he made a difference. I'm afraid that's just an exception to the rule though, and normally a film like Ryan doesn't get nominated. While a film like "Gopher Broke" does. There are so many brilliant artists/animators out there, but how many great animations have ever been considered for an Academy Award.

This was a really lucky year for Chris, because he competed with nothing like "For the birds" or "Geri's game". Nevertheless, I'm really happy it happened this way. Congratulations to Chris Landreth!!!

gryclls
03-04-2005, 05:41 AM
You guys rock man.....congrats for the oscar...its my bad luck that i haven't seen the film..but surely gonna see it.........

BRUTICUS
03-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I didn't like Ryan becasue it was heavily based on effects, I prefer a film to have a great and entertaining story with good character animation rather than "cool effects", specialy a film that wins the oscar, but again, that's only my preference.

Its unfair to say Ryan won based on "cool effects". Story isn't all about how funny or action packed it is. Story is also about the original ideas behind it. Anyone can take a funny joke or a crazy action scene and animate it. Not every one can create a short story based on reality that makes you step outside yourself for a moment and imagine what its like in someone elses shoes.

I loved the self consciousness of the ryan story, the old vs. the new aspect, the hint of the mentor, the visible emotional scars. Id guess that Ryan won for telling an interesting story in an original, thought provoking and empathetic way.

Lunatique
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't blame anything on politics. I liked Gopher Broke, you liked Ryan, it's a matter of opinion. But if you take a look at the big picture, politics does play a role in everything in this country, even in my 8 year old son's school art show.

Do you really belive that? If anything, Ryan was the unsafe choice, while something like Gopher Broke would've been the much safer choice.

If you really believe that Ryan's main virtue is its special effects, then you must've watched it with the sound on mute. Whatever effects were in it were directly related to the inner state of the characters--the anguish, torment, suffering, chaos, pain..etc. Ryan had a level of profoundity and depth that towered above all the other entries. THAT is why it won.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.