PDA

View Full Version : Waves washing up on beach tech's

aurora
09-18-2002, 02:42 PM
Does anybody have any comments suggestions on how to animate waves rolling up on a sandy beach? Basically what I have tried is to use endomorphs on the edge of the water and pull in up onto the beach in a semi-rythmic pattern. while raising and lowering the entire water surface. I then add a few particleFX's in there to give the foaming and bubble roll back as the surf rolls out again. I think I need to change the shader for the sand as the water rolls out to mimick the effect of the residual moisture being absorbed into the sand bed but have not done that yet.
Anybody have something better or some comments?

NanoGator
09-18-2002, 04:10 PM
One idea would be to play with motion designer a bit. You could make a 'tablecloth' and move some stuff that looks like waves under it.

Wish I could give you more direct advice than that, but I haven't messed with it enough to really be helpful.

aurora
09-18-2002, 04:29 PM
I might have to go that route especially I just went through my storyboard again and relized I have a part where I need the waves 'crashing' onto the shore meaning larger particleFX's and the waves arcing upward over some rocks instead of just rolling on to the beach. :hmm:

Eugeny
09-18-2002, 05:01 PM
It's too hard to make this effect realistically... May be check the Real Wave and Real Flow plugs.

NanoGator
09-18-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Eugeny
It's too hard to make this effect realistically... May be check the Real Wave and Real Flow plugs.

It's worth at least trying to figure it out without realflow. (If ya got the time, that is...) The worst case scenario is that you learn WHY you need the plugin.

:)

E_Moelzer
09-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Hello
Maybe this si a stupid suggestion, but I have seen this being done by many big studios:
If you happen to be near the sea, take a camera and film this, then map it to your geoemtry.
CU
Elmar

aurora
09-18-2002, 05:49 PM
E_Moelzer, actually I would love to do that but I'm two very long days drive from the ocean. Which makes this all the more insane timing wise. This music type CG video I'm making has a young girl that I'm modeling using my daughter as the ref who just happened to be at the beach which I am planning to use as the ref for my landscape only 2 months ago. I could have had my soon to be ex-wife film some shots for me with my daughter both in and out of it. Oh well.
One things for sure if I figure out how to get it to look good I'm definently going to write a tutorial up on it. Theres a couple of good ones on open sea shots for Maya but not for what I'm after nor for LW.

MC T-Roc
09-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Check out the ibeach animation for a great looking beach surf, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere how they achieved the look...cgchannel?

http://www.tajino.net/3d/ibeach/ibeach.htm
http://www.tajino.net/animation/animation.htm

T

Eugeny
09-18-2002, 06:13 PM
In the second link u can see that tools are used...

wgreenlee1
09-19-2002, 02:24 AM
In the last issue of 3D World they did a tutorial on a subject such as this.
In it they showed how to make a rolling ocean which is not what you want but with a little work around they basic idea remains the same.
It discusses the manner of using the water surface of which is a displaced sud-patched flat plane,as a particule emitter and using gradients made the waves emit a mist at the crest of the waves.
Yes, this would be hard to achieve and the results would be equally attractive to make the emit at the conjuntion of the water,waves and beach.
I would look in to getting a subscription to 3D World as Lihgtwave experts such as Ben Smith have mothly tuts and dissucions about Lightwave and ways to go about things such as youre talking about.
Also you might want to check out thier website and post the question there and it may also get picked to be in the magazine as a tutorial qeustion.

Just a couple of my thoughts.

:scream:

aurora
09-19-2002, 08:31 PM
wgreenlee1, I know about that article and yes I REALLY need to get a subscription to it. I usually just try to get it a local bookstore. Unfortuneatly it is something they only ever get a couple copies of and its a race to see who gets them first. In other words I missed that issue and now I'm really, really bummed, instead of just bummed. But thats a great idea on posting the question since that is the same basic approach I have taken. The only thing I am running into problems on is getting the edge to roll out onto the beach smoothly and then roll back flat.

Maxx
09-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Just as an idea - could you build the ocean object with a slightly raised edge (on the beach) and the beach with a slightly lowered edge(in the ocean)? This way, you could activate World Coordinates on the ocean surfacing and simply move the ocean object forward and backward, through the beach object. I'm not sure if this is making sense at all, but theoretically, the wave should continue to move the right way while the entire ocean moves back and forth. This should allow the raised edge of the ocean to slide in and out of the lowered edge of the beach, giving the impression of the wavelets rolling up and down the beach.

:shrug:

Haven't tested it, it's just an idea.

aurora
09-20-2002, 12:34 AM
Maxx, I'll let you know how your idea turns out I think I'm going to try your idea. Unfortuneately I'm not sure I'll get a chance before this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Maxx
09-20-2002, 09:46 AM
I was gonna try to slap together an example, just to make sure it'll work for you. Unfortunately, I'm kinda slamming right now with work and all, so didn't get a chance yesterday, and it's not looking real good today. Sorry about that. Like I said, theoretically, it should work. If I can put something together before Saturday morning or so, I'll post it here.

Here's hopin' it does what you need!

aurora
09-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Maxx, I know exactley what you mean about time. Like I said I won;t even get a chance to try it till sometime this weekend. We get them done we should compare to see what works best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.