PDA

View Full Version : Guaranteed Oscar for Alias

Signal2Noise
02-27-2005, 06:11 PM
It's Oscar Night tonight!

Good for the company and all you Maya users out there.

from the Canadian Press
TORONTO -- And the Oscar goes to ... When it comes to this year's best visual effects category, regardless of the name inside the envelope, the winner will end up being Toronto software developer Alias.
That's because its Maya 3-D animation technology was used to help create stunning visuals for all three nominees: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban; I, Robot; and Spider-Man 2.

The software was also used to...

Link to the article (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Business/2005/02/27/943983-sun.html)

Day-Dreamer
02-27-2005, 06:49 PM
nice to see they left out the side effect software Houdini:shrug:
http://www.odforce.net/wiki/index.php/ProductionsUsingHoudini

Eldron
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
and the award goes to... PEN AND PAPER!!1..

although it's a wonderful application I think it's still a bit weird for an application to win an oscar, there's so many of them out there, and they've all been used for awesome things..

It's the artists that make it happen..

sdavis
02-28-2005, 09:22 PM
I don't think the technical award is going to the software, so much as it is going to the people who make the software. Writing this level of code, such as alias or any other animation type prgram is pretty leading edge. It is a true art to behold. Those people deserve to be recognized for their contributions. Because without them, you would still be using a pen and paper.

Thanks,

Scott

Para
02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't think the technical award is going to the software, so much as it is going to the people who make the software. Writing this level of code, such as alias or any other animation type prgram is pretty leading edge. It is a true art to behold. Those people deserve to be recognized for their contributions. Because without them, you would still be using a pen and paper.

I completely agree.

...has Mr. Catmull and his pal Clark received an Oscar yet? :)

Apoclypse
03-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Yes, but what about softimage and other companies who were the ones getting all the praise just a few years back. Alias in my opinion is gettign way too much hype. Don't get me wrong, I love maya but it's not the best out there nor is it the only software being used in the industry. But the developers certainly deserve some lovin'.

MCronin
03-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I completely agree.

...has Mr. Catmull and his pal Clark received an Oscar yet? :)

He has, in 1994, and in 2000 he got a certificate from the Academy. You could also say he's won an academy award everytime Pixar wins one since he is the President of Pixar Animation.

6foot5
03-01-2005, 02:29 AM
a lot of different software is used so its a bit disingenous to give all the accolades to just one from a whole suite of tools. How many oscars should Discreet have picked up for Flame and Inferno???

NUKE-CG
03-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Think this is being over-examined. They have to show gratitude to a software maker anyway, and Alias get the nod because they're a solid company which make up a larger percentage than others in the film industry. So good job.

And Alias (A|W) was winning awards before Maya.

amygdalae
03-01-2005, 05:02 AM
maya has its flaws, but is still the most integrateable, flexible tool around.
I use XSI at home and love it for the stuff I like doing on the side, but I cant imagine integrating it into a pipeline to the extent possible with maya.

I use everything else for fun, or to bang stuff out quickly. If you really want to do something serious Maya is very capable. It's big-pipeline friendly.

It needs a re-write sure and the renderer is fundamentally flawed and we all complain about it, but I still cant imagine doing the kind of work we're able to do without it.

6foot5
03-01-2005, 05:32 AM
It needs a re-write sure and the renderer is fundamentally flawed

for someone who purports to be a fan of maya thats a hell of a put down.

:p

Jozvex
03-01-2005, 05:55 AM
Or it shows that even though Maya is old-ish and doesn't have the greatest native renderer, it makes up for it enough to still be a widely used tool.

;)

exposed1
03-01-2005, 02:11 PM
I learned on Maya (without Mental Ray) but have been making the transition to Max and Brazil. Maya is an overrated app IMO, although like a first girlfriend I shall retain fond memories of the time we spent together. Yes, it's flexible, but it has to be because off the shelf it has very few useful native tools. Most studios use several apps including their own, but I guess due to strategic partnerships they only mention a single app when they say how they made the magic.

Pixar hasn't gotten any awards for Marionette or PR Renderman, have they? No award for technical achievement?

beaker
03-01-2005, 03:21 PM
a lot of different software is used so its a bit disingenous to give all the accolades to just one from a whole suite of tools. How many oscars should Discreet have picked up for Flame and Inferno???

Pixar hasn't gotten any awards for Marionette or PR Renderman, have they? No award for technical achievement?Both of you should do a little research before you post. Both Pixar and Discreet have received many technical oscars over the years for FFI and Menv/Marionette/Prman.

http://www.oscars.org/scitech/

wmendez
03-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Some more here:

http://www.virtualcinematography.org/SciTech/SciTechHistory.html

colkai
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
This shows the power of the publicity machine.
After all, there's another package which also constributed to certain films but if you read the publicity, you'd swear only Maya/Alias had anything whatsoever to do with film effects.

Check out Newteks page as to which films Lightwave ws used in, the only difference, they don't have the budget to hold a financial gun to the studio heads.

Plus, as someone else has already stated, there are other packages that were used as well.
That's like saying Bread Company guaranteed to win award at a sandwich convention... what about butter? :p

NUKE-CG
03-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Yes yes, but they give it to the software which is used MORE in production, Lightwave is used more for pre-viz and a bit of modeling, where as Maya is considered the OS of the 3D infrastructure.

And studios use what they believe to be best for them, not based on marketing and public opinion, maybe a bit.. but a majority is their inital tests and opinion on their upcoming software investment.

arctor
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I think the major gripe I have with articles like this is that they are simply lazy 'reporters' cutting and pasting from press releases, and then adding a bunch of inaccurate info betraying the total lack of reasearch that goes into these things...although my guess is that in the case of this article it was written to satisfy Canadian Content requrements...
as said earlier Houdini, Softimage/XSI, Lightwave, 3ds max...have all been used in high profile films...Houdini and Maya more than the others, but no film to have won the Oscar for visual effects has only used ONE of these packages...

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.