PDA

View Full Version : why boujou is 10000$ and matchmover 3000$

lukx
02-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I was wondering why boujou is 10000$ and matchmover 3000$. Is it really worth to spend those 7000$ more on boujou. What are the + and - of each of them?

Dutchman
02-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I wonder the very same.... :eek: Why can't such software be cheaper... Is it really so complicated scripted?! At this price almost no compagny will be able to buy it... (so it becomes kind'a 'discrimination' to the 'smaller compagnies'!)

I can't wait for a true answer ;)

lightwolf
02-27-2005, 03:33 PM
...and to extend the question a bit further: Why is SynthEyes only US$349 ?

Cheers,
Mike

Cman
02-27-2005, 03:39 PM
And I've used Matchmover and Syntheyes on similarly simple tracking and found Syntheyes both easier to use and, imho, had better results - very fast too.

lightwolf
02-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread...
I've used SynthEyes on a couple of shots as well (can't afford any of the others), and after a day or so of getting to grips with it, managed to track and solve some pretty complicated 2K .dpx shots. I'm extremely happy with it. So, what do the other two have?

Cheers,
Mike

lukx
02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread...
I've used SynthEyes on a couple of shots as well (can't afford any of the others), and after a day or so of getting to grips with it, managed to track and solve some pretty complicated 2K .dpx shots. I'm extremely happy with it. So, what do the other two have?

Cheers,
Mike

no no you're not hijacking this thread. I didn't know about SynthEyes. I'm really interested why there are so huge price differences.

lightwolf
02-27-2005, 04:40 PM
no no you're not hijacking this thread. I didn't know about SynthEyes. I'm really interested why there are so huge price differences.
Well, I guess Boujou, Matchmover (as well as PFTrack / PFMatch and another one whose name has slipped my mind) all managed to make a good living with what they charge. Initially I guess the algorithms used were extremely complex and new, so you had to spend a lot of time on the initial development. I bet SynthEyes wouldn't be as cheap as it is if the author didn't develop it during (and for) his work as a TD on movies.
As far as the quality of the final work is concerned I have no idea. I do assume a lot depends on the skill of the person operating the software though, so it is probably hard to really compare them (in a working environment). I guess you could just run a couple of shots through each one and compare, but I don't know if that will be conclusive enough to judge their use in production.

Cheers,
Mike

WeirdoStudio
02-27-2005, 05:05 PM
How easy is syntheyes to use? I have heard about it many times, and just wondered how easy is it to come to grips with?

lightwolf
02-27-2005, 05:09 PM
How easy is syntheyes to use? I have heard about it many times, and just wondered how easy is it to come to grips with?
Well, with a simple shot ... load and solve and you're done :)
With a more complicated shot, that require manual input, garbage mattes, manual tracks etc... I'd say you'll need a day or two to get around to how SE works.
Multiple single image tracks, or moving object tracks might require a bit more time on your side for "training" (I've never done any of that).
Cheers,
Mike

neods
02-27-2005, 05:10 PM
all so check PFhoe (http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/contentfull.aspx?content=pfhoe.htm), its real cheap and got real nice reviews on 3dworld.

lukx
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
I tried this SynthEyes and one nice thing about it is that when exporting to 3dsmax it keeps camera z axis to top while matchmover and boujou always messed it up.

Cman
02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Another great thing about Syntheyes is the reference frames.

Maybe Matchmover has changed, but when I last used it it required two frames as reference (if you needed reference) to get a good track.
Sometimes that wasn't enough.

Syntheyes lets you use as many frames as you want, so you can get a nice wide shot with lots of points (7+), and a real solid solution. Then you can use that solution to track a tighter "hero" shot that may only have 3, 4, 5 similar points in it.
Works very well for me.

beaker
03-01-2005, 12:34 AM
I tried this SynthEyes and one nice thing about it is that when exporting to 3dsmax it keeps camera z axis to top while matchmover and boujou always messed it up.Thats because most 3d apps are y-up, so they set that to the default. Both Matchmover and Boujou have settings for making them export z-up data in the prefs.

Blur1
03-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Don't forget PFHoe, its 49UKP

I bought it recently and it works pretty well for what it does.
But SynthEyes looks like the bomb for more advanced stuff. And they have just released an OS X version!

parad0x
03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
hey fellas, i have had the luck to examine all the products listed thus far. let me give u my 2 cents:
Boujou 3 has an INCREDIBLY fast tracking method (imho, the fastest there is to date) HOWEVER its camera solving takes freaking eons! Might have eben my settings but i just couldnt get it to solve a camera solution in less than 30 minutes for footage that was only 10 seconds long, and im running dual core opterons =\

MM Pro is a great program all around, above average speed, and above average camera solving, creates a nice clean tracking result from ur footage. The thing i dont like, is the 3D view, the navigation within the 3d is a bit whack in my opinion.

Synth eyes is awesome for lowbudget--want to get into 3d compositing stuff, thats what i started with.

PFTrack is very similar to Boujou in that it is EXTREMELY CPU intensive. But creates great results and the 3d nav is very likable.
Dont use this as a reference in anyway shape or form, it is only an OPINION based on my observations.

Currently im using PFHoe as my main 3d comper =)

Cman
03-09-2005, 02:15 PM
hey fellas, i have had the luck to examine all the products listed thus far. let me give u my 2 cents:
Boujou 3 has an INCREDIBLY fast tracking method (imho, the fastest there is to date) HOWEVER its camera solving takes freaking eons! Might have eben my settings but i just couldnt get it to solve a camera solution in less than 30 minutes for footage that was only 10 seconds long, and im running dual core opterons =\

MM Pro is a great program all around, above average speed, and above average camera solving, creates a nice clean tracking result from ur footage. The thing i dont like, is the 3D view, the navigation within the 3d is a bit whack in my opinion.

Synth eyes is awesome for lowbudget--want to get into 3d compositing stuff, thats what i started with.

PFTrack is very similar to Boujou in that it is EXTREMELY CPU intensive. But creates great results and the 3d nav is very likable.
Dont use this as a reference in anyway shape or form, it is only an OPINION based on my observations.

Currently im using PFHoe as my main 3d comper =)

I'm curious.
Why do you qualify Syntheyes as only being awesome for lowbudget?
What is missing from Syntheyes vis-a-vis MM or Boujou?
Thanks.

parad0x
03-10-2005, 04:36 AM
I was pertaining to jobs i get, low budget projects. Something that needs simple but effective tracking

Cman
03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
I was pertaining to jobs i get, low budget projects. Something that needs simple but effective tracking

Oh I see.
I'm still curious about my 2nd question.
I haven't used MM in quite some time, about 2 updates back, and so I'm wondering how it has improved. (and I've never used boujou)

What has been your experience vis-a-vis, the biggest things missing from Syntheyes?
Just curious.
Thanks. :)

parad0x
03-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Syntheyes has its flaws if your footage is too jittery, ive noticed that after i set a z-x plane in syntheyes, about half way down the footage all of the sudden it glitches and my zx plane goes vertical...so im left thinking wtf.. MMpro has definately gained some speed but too slow for me =(

Jozvex
03-18-2005, 10:56 PM
I love Syntheyes (hehe as I've said in a few other threads around the place).

I've only used it with DV footage so far but it's the easiest matchmoving app I've ever used. PFHoe is easier, I suppose, but I mean for a tracker that includes all the more highend features like manual tracking, object tracking, mattes etc it's really easy. I've used Boujou 2, Icarus, Maya Live, Max's tracker, but not PFTrack or Matchmover.

Here are two examples of tracks I did rediculously easily (sorry about the thin orange x):

http://www.jozvex.com/temp/GardenLarger.mov

That was my first DV footage track, I added that small bunch of white flowers using Maya. Tracking time was under 30 seconds using just automatic tracking. I could have added some manual trackers to get it even better but it was just a test. :) (at least that's my excuse)

http://www.jozvex.com/temp/ChristmasTrack.mov

I did that just recently, I added the word 'Track' to the wall using Maya. Believe it or not, some people thought I added christmas decoractions and that I really had a sign that said track on the wall....crazy people! Automatic tracking and a few manual trackers because 90% of the auto tracking is based off the tree, which is fine but I needed to know where the walls were, hehe.

ACantarel
03-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I wonder the very same.... :eek: Why can't such software be cheaper... Is it really so complicated scripted?! At this price almost no compagny will be able to buy it... (so it becomes kind'a 'discrimination' to the 'smaller compagnies'!)

I can't wait for a true answer ;)

The work of concepting, programming and bugfixing a software is enormous and very time consuming. The people who are developing this kind of software are highly qualified and not cheap. When you develop a software which will not be sold every day 1000 times, you will need to get a lot of money per license or you can close down your company. Imagine all the stuff you have to pay just for an office!

André

vrljc
03-28-2005, 01:18 AM
I have primarily used Matchmover 3 and what I love about the software is how when you track a point, you have a magnifier window that will zoom right up to your track so that you can see what you are tracking easier.

Does anyone know if Boujou 3 has this same feature?

-jon

Cman
03-28-2005, 03:33 AM
I have primarily used Matchmover 3 and what I love about the software is how when you track a point, you have a magnifier window that will zoom right up to your track so that you can see what you are tracking easier.

Does anyone know if Boujou 3 has this same feature?

-jon

I don't know about Boujou, but Syntheyes has that.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2005, 03:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.