PDA

View Full Version : mental ray causes maya to hang

caulfield
02-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey folks,

having a bit of an issue rendering with Mental Ray. I setup a simple scene - one cube, default light. Choose mental ray as the renderer - and press render.

Maya hangs, and the output window says something about message not sent - half a line of text.

I've had no issues before, until recently when a virus caused problems. Today I reinstalled XP, which fixed my windows problems ( all obvious ones - still seems to be a yellow dog lurking around ) but Mental Ray still won't render.

So I reinstall Maya.

And Mental Ray still doesn't work.

Any ideas what I could do? What files I could check? How I could reinstall Mental Ray seperately?

All would be appreciated.

I love yous all, and I won't let yous down.

butCherHeLL
02-27-2005, 04:02 PM
you must send the exact message here.. what mentalray messages says ?

1.are you sure mentalray is plugged clearly ?
2.are you sure you connect mental ray shaders with right nodes ?

you must explain more.

cpan
02-27-2005, 04:39 PM
'no message sent to 0' or something like this and you probably use maya 6 huh?

This erros is a big shit, and the ONLY thing to fix-it is REINSTALLING windows!!
First I thought it was an firewall problem, but no it wasn't this. I've also reinstalled maya but the same annoying 'no message sent to 0' was comming.

have a nice windows reinstalling time :) :)

HellstormDe
02-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't think reinstalling Windows is the only solution. I guess there is a process or task running which causes this problem, or maybe a bad registry or network setting. Just an idea, however, I don't know a solution.

I don't know if it helps when you post a hijackthis log.

jporter313
02-28-2005, 11:28 PM
hmm, not sure if this is the same problem, but for a while I'd have that sort of thing happen when a scene got too big to handle memory-wise. Just to diagnose the problem, try reducing the render resolution or sampling or things like that and see if it hangs less.

teep
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Perhaps there could be something awry with your
C:\Program Files\Alias\maya6.0\mentalray folder?

Have you added some new mental ray shaders recently?

If you have a functioning maya system at a co-workers desk, you could try to blow away your own mental ray directory and copy your co-workers mental ray folder into yours. This is with the assumption that you haven't done anything too fancy to the mental ray rayrc and rayhosts files.

just a thought,
teep

cpan
03-01-2005, 06:43 PM
no, this has nothing to do with mray shaders, rayrc, resolution, memory but it's something with windows and maya. It may be a registry/bad files problem so you must repair them or re wait several hours to reinstall windows.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.