PDA

View Full Version : WIP: An Old Dragoon

ArtisticVisions
02-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I've been wanting to get into 2D CG for some time now; finally decided to get off my butt and do it :) . (especially after seeing the incredible illustrations for GSO)

The concept behind this first illustration that I'm working on came from this simple idea: I love the Final Fantasy series, but... I'm getting a little tired of the main hero always being a tennage metrosexual male :D . I wanted a new hero, someone very different from the "Youth out to see the world and become a Man".
Initially, the character concept was something like a 50 year old "Riddick"-type charcter (tough as nails, "I don't take crap from nobody); however, upon deciding what the character did (a dragon-hunting Dragoon warrior), he changed - he became more refined and dignified, someone of experience and age, but still tough.

This is just the the basic sketch of the character without the background. Yeah, the spear really sucks, but it'll look better later (it was just for overall shape of the weapon); I might change the hair style later as well.

Critique and comment at will. :wip:
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/dragoonsketch.txt

Falcorr
02-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey its propably first wise to draw anatomy correctly after that ad all sorts of gear and equipment to it.

Narrow sucking cheeks look should be lessened. Also ear might be too high just be looking at his nose angle. Or too small.

Hope the picture evolves :thumbsup:
Good luck!

ArtisticVisions
02-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey its propably first wise to draw anatomy correctly after that ad all sorts of gear and equipment to it.
Actually, I had drawn the full body (with anatomy) first, then drew the armor/clothing on top of it (I had turned off the body layer when I made the JPEG); in addition, I used a 3D human figure (which I had created previously) for pose reference, as well as Dynamic Figure Drawing by Hogarth.

As for the ear, I'm thinking it might be too small. The lines for the checks kinda got too dark, which results in them looking "off".

Thanks.

peachstapler
02-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Actually, I had drawn the full body (with anatomy) first, then drew the armor/clothing on top of it (I had turned off the body layer when I made the JPEG); in addition, I used a 3D human figure (which I had created previously) for pose reference, as well as Dynamic Figure Drawing by Hogarth.

Frankly I don't think it worked. His left arm/hand is humungous. The right leg seems to be a little long, the knee is low, and upon second glance, the legs look like tree trunks. What is with the lines in the cheeks? Looks like they could be left out altogether. And the ear is small.

hjalmar
02-27-2005, 05:14 PM
and his left arm kinda looks like a screw

and what peachstapler said about everything else

are you sure your model that you drew to was anatomicly correct?

ArtisticVisions
02-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Frankly I don't think it worked. His left arm/hand is humungous. The right leg seems to be a little long, the knee is low, and upon second glance, the legs look like tree trunks. What is with the lines in the cheeks? Looks like they could be left out altogether. And the ear is small.
and his left arm kinda looks like a screw

and what peachstapler said about everything else

are you sure your model that you drew to was anatomicly correct?
Guess I should've posted this info earlier: :rolleyes:
The reason behind the "distortions" of the character is due to the "viewer's" perspective (which was based off the camera settings that I used for the reference render). The character is leaning against a wall for support, with his right leg bent more than the left and his left arm closer to the viewer (giving it a larger perspective than the right arm).

EDIT: Since I've scrapped the previous sketch, I have no need to show the render that I used (just taking up bandwidth). Scroll down for the new WIP.

hjalmar
02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
yea...the models are still looks unproportionally large, even with perspective

a guy his build shouldnt have an arm that large unless he is a very lonely man

peachstapler
02-27-2005, 07:48 PM
stuff about proportions and a rolleyes smiley

I'm sticking to my guns here and gonna say that model is not anatomically proportional. Even at that perspective the guy's arm should not be that big. Not all 3d models are created equally; just because you used that one as a guide doesn't mean it's the Vitruvian Man. See my previous post for specifics on what *I think* you should fix.

ArtisticVisions
02-27-2005, 08:11 PM
... I have no idea who the Vitruvian Man is. :D

On a more serious note, I appreciate your comments and thoughts. :)
Even though I had started to clean up the image and rough out the color scheme, I've decided to started another sketch. Frankly, this drawing isn't how I want the character to be portrayed (a world-weary soul, continuing his battles even though Age is starting to take it's toll); as such, I'm scrapping the current drawing and starting on a new sketch.

magnetos
02-27-2005, 08:15 PM
yeap i agree ..proportions are off try to have somebody pose for you ,if you have a camera take a shot and use it as reference

hey hjalmar i didnt know loneliness can make your arm that big umm let me see.....o God you right !! :)

ArtisticVisions
02-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Started on the new sketch earlier tonight (was able to convince a friend to pose for photo reference, even though he complained that he looked stupid :D ). Right now, it's just a rough sketch of the body (no details, just the posed anatomy), but I think it's giving me more of how I want to portray the Dragoon.
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/newsketch.txt

peachstapler
02-28-2005, 06:59 AM
Looks better, proportionally-speaking. His left forearm seems a little long, or maybe it's just his thick ham-wrist that's distorting things.

ArtisticVisions
03-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Still working on this when I get chances to. :rolleyes: (since I'm at college all day during the entire week, only time I get to work on my own projects is on the weekends)

Working out on the armor and color theme for the charcter. Still have to finish the rest of the armor, the face of the character, and parts of the background; might redesign parts of the gautlet and shoulder pads as well.
Right now, the outlines are only there to "rough out" the look of the character; when I blow the resolution up to full size, I don't plan on redrawing them (want the illustration to be more "painter" like).

Cheers, all.
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/sketch2.txt

hjalmar
03-07-2005, 01:51 AM
i think you still ahve some folds in the wrong spots

the right arm's sleeve looks weird

ArtisticVisions
03-07-2005, 01:58 PM
i think you still ahve some folds in the wrong spots

the right arm's sleeve looks weird
Yeah, I think you're right. I'll have to look over some photo reference for that.

I think I should've left the color out so that the lines are easier to read (especially in the sleeves and pants areas); I might replace the image with another for that issue.

ArtisticVisions
03-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Still working on it :rolleyes: ; hope to have this illustration done by the time the next Challenge starts up. (however, midterms is coming up soon, plus I've taken a freelance web design job this past week - we'll see, I guess...)

Mostly finished with the armor (boots and left shoulder armor might need some work, though); added some chainmail to the character (for someone who's hunting dragons, I figured it'd be better to have clothing that wasn't flamable :D ). I'll start on the face and lance tomarrow, after which I'll resize it to the full size and start on the final painting.
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/sketch3.txt

ArtisticVisions
03-12-2005, 09:39 PM
With the exception for the spear's blade and the background, I'm done with the design of the character; I'll be starting on the full-size version in Painter very shortly.
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/sketchcolor.txt

ArtisticVisions
03-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Finally able to start illustrating the final version in Painter (started college vacation - yay :applause: ); just a rough start (mouth and nose really need more work). I'm thinking that the skin may be too reddish, but I can always color-correct it after the head is finished.
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/paint1.txt

Walrusmann
03-18-2005, 09:38 PM
maybe it'd be a good idea to add the top of a spear or something to what he is holding on to my first thought when i first saw it was that he was grabing a stripper's pole no ofence just thought it maiht help to show what the pole is hope to see more soon

ArtisticVisions
03-18-2005, 10:24 PM
maybe it'd be a good idea to add the top of a spear or something to what he is holding on to my first thought when i first saw it was that he was grabing a stripper's pole no ofence just thought it maiht help to show what the pole is hope to see more soon
Sounds funny, but I've been cropping the canvas of the illustration for this WIP thread (figured that people might not want to scroll though a loooong thread :shrug: ); the canvas is actually much taller than what I've currently shown and will feature the lance's blade.

ArtisticVisions
03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Been working on the illustration, just haven't had the time to upload the WIP image till now. Looking at it now, I think the chin could be a little shorter and the wringle lines need to be softened up a bit. Awaiting your C&C. :)
http://www.geocities.com/studioartisticvisions/dragoon/paint2.txt

Falcorr
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Mouth looks tad too small and narrow. Other than that everything seems to be in their rightful places.

Just keep enveloping the forms. Push and pull shapes towards and away more. So it wouldnt look as flat.

Walrusmann
03-24-2005, 05:03 AM
i think that you should keep the guy bald in my opinion the sgragly hair in the full scale version takes away from the reagleness of him maybe if you keep his head bald and give him a heavy five oclock shadow to show how worn he is from age and such thats what i think keep up the good work buddy:thumbsup:

ArtisticVisions
03-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Falcor_: You might be right; I was basing the lips off a photo of Clint Eastwood. :shrug:

Walrusmann: That's an idea I hadn't thought before; might be interesting... :thumbsup:

Tawneycocker
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I think perhaps what we see here is a foreshortening problem If you are going to do humans in future get a male and female wooden poseable model then get a 8 1/2 by 11 simple picture frame and hot glue black nylon fishing line both ways an inch apart then look through the viewfinder toward your model you will find that your mind and eye will co-ordinate in a way that you havent had before.I find that the use of 3D objects allows me to take on the task of foreshortenig with ease and as far as the composition is concerned do another and another untill you are satisfied. you are quite talented but at this stage stay away from using photos as a source for a while. the petard is quite beleavable but needs detail. and yes you are quite correct the ear is too small. you have splended ideas go with them. Tawneycocker

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.