PDA

View Full Version : GI Setting Question

itsallgoode9
02-27-2005, 02:28 AM
Is there a specifc formula to figure out what setting to use for the Global Illumination Accuracy and the Globa Illumination radius, or is it just a trial and error method? Also, if there is no specific way could some of you share your workflow of how you go about finding the values for this?

Jackdeth
02-27-2005, 02:39 AM
Because every scene is different, there is no magic number that will help you. There are just far too many things that can cause the settings to be dramaticially different.

itsallgoode9
02-27-2005, 02:55 AM
but there's no way to calculate a number based on the parameters of your scene? such as scene size, and amount of photons for example? or anything like that?

ninus3d
02-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Nope, there isnt, as far as scenesize and number goes, remember that some surfaces absorbs more then other so they really got nothing to do with each other!

Trial and error, but youll get gooder at guessing after a while, good luck further ;)

itsallgoode9
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
hmmmm....well do you guys tweak both options at the same time or do you tweak one at a time till it is right, then work on the other to work with the first one? I've used GI and everything before, i'm just trying to make sure I am using these settings in the correct way and that they are optimized and not effecting the length of my renders.

itsallgoode9
02-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I forgot to ask this, is this a setting where you can put "0" for the number and have maya automatically select settings for you?

thehive
03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
what you could try to get you almost ther is use the distance tool say you get 24
for the min multiply buy .01 an put in .24 for max multiply by .1 an put in 2.4 jus an example, hope that helps

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.