PDA

View Full Version : Coloring a Sketch - Need Advice

Rio Yeti
02-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi,

First of all I'd like to point out that I am not a "2D artist / painter"... I do mainly 3D and video shoot, and am very pleased with it.
But for some time now I've been checking the 2D WIPs and the Daily Sketch Forum (to which I only participated the very first 4 of them...) and I am very frustrated not feeling I'm able to accomplish digital paintings as I would like to.
So I decided to try painting a sketch I had on a sketchbook for a while. It's what you would call surreal/abstract, so I know the anatomy is totally wrong, but that wasn't my focus for this one. I'm pretty pleased with the red part which feels both flat and textured, but I really feel like the upper "body" still feels like a "sketch", and I would like to be able to bring it to the "finished painting" stage. (even if it has to be a "bad finished painting")
Also as the bottom is purposely sort of flat, I would like as a contrast that the upper part is more "real" with more volume, deepness...
Ok, enough with the chit-chat... Here is the painting at its current stage. If any soul would like to help me, I would greatly appreciate it !

http://www.damienserban.com/temp/statue.jpg

Thanks a lot !

NathanielWest
02-27-2005, 01:54 AM
You're actually almost there and you don't even know it. I would take pure white with a hint of yellow in it and highlight the whole arm on it's right side. To really help to turn the form you can introduce some subtle blue cool to the dark edge of the arm and back to suggest a bounced light. Remember to get a core shadow on your forms and besides all that to really make it look finished you're going to need to repeat the process on a smaller level to suggest muscles etc. Good luck! It's looking good so far.

Rio Yeti
02-27-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advices, I'll keep working on it with what you told me, and will post an update !

Rio Yeti
03-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Hey, so I added the hints of yellow and blue. Their really subtle, although if you look at the picture before you can tell the difference, and I think it really helped the painting, thanks Nathaniel ! (did I go too subtle ?).
I also added a slight red reflection on the "guy", and erased a little or completely a few lines that were innapropriate or too harsh...

I tried adding details, but since my figure is already totally anatomically incorrect, it didn't really worked well, so I let it the way it is (or maybe it's just painting details at 3 in the morning which isn't the best idea...)

I still don't really feel it's finished, but I definitely went a step forward with your advices. If you or anyone has anymore, it would be great ! Now I need to go sleep, and will relook at it tomorrow with a rested brain...

http://www.damienserban.com/temp/statue2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.