PDA

View Full Version : simple 3d in flash

mathew_er
02-26-2005, 11:17 PM
hi,
i was wondering if it is possible to write a simple 3d engine in actionscript using macromedia flash. i know actionscript is weak against C and others but im just curious. id like to view and rotate a simple model. probably only in wire. if you think its possible please say how would you approach it.

btw. im only graphic programming beginer in the real meaning of this word ;) . i mostly do web programming stuff.

thanks, mathew

poe
02-27-2005, 01:41 PM
there are 3d engines available as open source to do what you want.

the major concern really is why and how much. actionscript is just an interpreted language, very few parts are native c++ so as you alluded to, is very slow (plus is not capable of multi-threading).

poe
02-27-2005, 01:42 PM
you may also want to look at www.processing.org (http://www.processing.org)

mathew_er
02-27-2005, 05:51 PM
poe, i know what you are saying. actionscript is not ment to be used this way but i just tought it could be a challange for me to do such thing.

Per-Anders
02-27-2005, 07:41 PM
the trouble you will find is simply speed. i wrote a basic 3d engine using flash 5, and it was sooo slow. now the flash player has improved in speed, and actionscript is vastly better with flash mx however you will still find it very slow, it's basically an interpreted language rather than compiled, and that brings a heap of problems with it.

if you want to do 3d online then i'd suggest using director instead. or just 3d in general then pick any compiled language because you'll need the speed.

mathew_er
02-27-2005, 08:34 PM
thanks for the info mdme. you know, it isnt for any usefull purpose. just for fun and exp ;)

Hullbr3ach
02-28-2005, 07:52 AM
I wrote an object oriented rendering engine with BSP trees in Flash 7 about three month ago and it was dead slow even though I did a fair amount of optimization. Got around 1fps for 2000 polygons on a 1.2GHz machine.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.