PDA

View Full Version : Car Paint Shader

migusan76
02-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Car Paint shader is based on the Renderman shader by Peter Stuart Also from the research paper A Simple Layered RGB BRDF Model by Xavier Granier and Wolfgang Heidrich. The model simulates the interaction (interference) of light with itself due to a thin substrate. To completely capture this effect, the simulation would have to be performed over the whole spectrum of light. This is obviously too much work for a shader to do, so this model avoids sampling the whole spectrum by simulating only the RGB colors and then interpolating between the results using a phong-like approach.

Car Paint Shader (http://www.digiteck3d.com/pages/sections/tools/carPaint/carPaintShader.zip)
Maya Version: 4.0 / 4.5 / 5.0 / 6.0
"Maya Render Only"

http://3dsurfer.com/files/teapotcar.jpg

BillSpradlin
02-26-2005, 10:43 PM
That's cool, but no mental ray implementation leaves it useless for anyone doing production work =)

Dr. Ira Kane
02-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Somehow it doesn't LOOK like car paint to me...

rwijaya
02-26-2005, 11:18 PM
yes, any chance to port any of ur other shaders for Mental ray and so it works with maya 6.5 ?

Daniel Whitton
02-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Mental Ray is a must for this very nice shader:thumbsup:

cpan
02-27-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah, you at digitek maked may cool shaders (like the gooch toon) for maya software, but none for mray. You MUST implement them in mray cause maya software renderer is a huge shit :) and it's users are so few compared to mray ones :).

tripNfall
02-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the amazing shaders.

As for the whole mr thing, Iím totally happy with the fact that you are making
these shaders for the Maya render. I know Mayaís render is not the greatest,
but it is very quick to set up and use (for example, previewing with the shader ball
and previewing on your models).

Additionally, I think people are getting a little greedy with the constant requests
for a mr port. If people want to use the shaders and mr they can always layer
them in post with their mr passes.

BillSpradlin
02-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Thanks for all the amazing shaders.

As for the whole mr thing, Iím totally happy with the fact that you are making
these shaders for the Maya render. I know Mayaís render is not the greatest,
but it is very quick to set up and use (for example, previewing with the shader ball
and previewing on your models).

Additionally, I think people are getting a little greedy with the constant requests
for a mr port. If people want to use the shaders and mr they can always layer
them in post with their mr passes.

Must...resist...*bites toungue* :)

Jackdeth
02-28-2005, 04:26 AM
I won't resist. The maya render engine is weak and powerless, and it is only a waste of time trying to use it for anything more important than simple matte passes. Alias themselves know this, and that's why they haven't touched the engine for several releases, and also is why they are trying so hard to get MR fully intergrated. I think we could see a version 7.5 or 8.0 with the Maya engine deleted from the release. (But they did do a good job on the hypershade, so thumbs up to those programmers.)

Learn MR or some other renderer before you drift behind the times.

bazuka
02-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Man i like u'r shader, it's nice, but (there is always but) it's not working with MR!!!

tripNfall
02-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Jackdeth, Iím simply appreciating Migusanís work. He has in the past
and looks to continue developing shaders only for Mayaís render and
itís great that heís contributing to the community.

That being said, I do agree that mr is an amazing render. I use it most of
the time. However, Mayaís render is useful on some small quick projects
and certain personal projects, so itís nice to have more Maya shaders.

migusan76
03-01-2005, 12:27 AM
:rolleyes: Hmmmmmm never stops amazing on cgtalk. Well hey tripNfall glad you still like my shaders for maya's render :thumbsup: Ok iam not even gonna waste my breadth anymore about the maya render everyone is entiled to there opinion. But as we speak iam porting certain shaders to mental ray right now. hopefully by the end of the week i can have them ported so far only took me a couple hours to port one, and it only took me that long cause iam still preping up on the MR code functions. So this one and my SSS shaders and another new that i'll be puting out for maya and mental ray.

Dr. Ira Kane
03-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Great news, they will be much more useful when available for mental ray :)

azshall
03-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Jackdeth, Iím simply appreciating Migusanís work. He has in the past
and looks to continue developing shaders only for Mayaís render and
itís great that heís contributing to the community.

That being said, I do agree that mr is an amazing render. I use it most of
the time. However, Mayaís render is useful on some small quick projects
and certain personal projects, so itís nice to have more Maya shaders.

Yeah .. you're right. But, nobody is trying to argue. Its a simple fact. The maya renderer, for lack of a more "technical" reason.... SUCKS. Yes, you can get nice renders out of it, if you spend the time to finesse them and try cleaning them up in comp.

Truth of the matter is, like Jackdeth said, the maya software renderer is going to be phased out as Mental Ray gets more and more integrated. May as well get with the times and use the software renderer for those "simple" tasks and leave the rest up to MR.

migusan76
03-01-2005, 12:58 AM
:drool: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :rolleyes:

migusan76
03-01-2005, 08:48 PM
:) Here is one of my first mental ray shaders Lafortune Shader (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215511)

cpan
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
great stuff. I'm glad you're making them for mray :thumbsup:

migusan76
03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
:) I should have this carPaint shader ported to mental ray soon too.

Daniel Whitton
03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
I can't wiat.Thanks for your work:bowdown:

migusan76
03-03-2005, 10:39 PM
wait no more here is the mental ray version http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=216273 :)

azshall
03-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey...

I installed the shader, but when I applied it to a surface and hit render... I get an error message that says ... Mental Ray Aborted ... when I apply any, shader to it .. and hit render, it aborts. I remove the install from the .rayrc file and mental ray then renders fine :(

Whats happening?

Maya 6.0 with MR

Stahlberg
03-04-2005, 05:25 AM
one reason might be you misspelled the added line in the .rayrc, or if the .dll or .mi files are missing from their respective subdirectories. Happens to me all the time.

migusan76
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey azshall The mental ray shader has been test on maya 5.0 and 6.0 with mental ray. I even just installed them real quick and they worked fine. Maybe some where the install is off.

but if its a .rayrc issuse these lines go there

link "{MAYABASE}/lib/dt3d_carPaint.{DSO}"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/dt3d_carPaint.mi"

cpan
03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
as i've noticed, the include file doesn't have the #:nodeid 'number' sintax at the end of it. This may cause problems with maya 6 ( I've added this before trying the shader).

migusan76
03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
:sad: Hmmmmmmm so is it working, Thats real odd cause i've test on maya 6 and i havent had any problems.

Stahlberg
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
It can work without the nodeid, but it's safer to put it in, or at least it doesn't hurt :) (a big random number, to make sure no other shader has the same).

migusan76
03-08-2005, 11:35 PM
:) Well if it doesn't hurt I guess I better start adding this just to be safer :thumbsup:

Jackdeth
03-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Just ask Alias and they will give you a safe block of node ID numbers. This is very important so you don't conflict with other peoples shader.

MarkAW
03-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Quick question,

The shader works with normal lights, but with FG and IBL it just looks washed out and blown (all detail only coming from putting a value in reflection).

How do I set up this shader to work with FG/ IBL?

Mark

migusan76
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
MarkAW :curious: Hmmmm Iam not to famaliar with mental ray at the moment but if iam not mistaken, any shader you put on there will be washed out and blown if you don't set up your lights and FG right. But I know the shader takes FG into account cause in the shader I put the Irradiance computation. Iam pretty sure that your prob is a Settings thing. :shrug:

PROVIDE3D
03-09-2005, 10:42 PM
The 'nodeid' statement in your .mi file is needed for saving in BINARY
format ( .mb ). All the Maya nodes ( even the mental ray ones ) are
stored in Maya Binary Scenes as IDs, not as strings ( node-names )
like the Maya ASCII do.

Leaving Maya to assing a temporary IDs will cause troubles.
Or a workaround is to always save in Maya ASCII format ( .ma )
to avoid any problem with custom shaders.

Also, it is recommended to include a 'shortname' statement for each
mental ray shader attribute in your .mi file. If not, Maya will assign a
sequence of 'S0', 'S1', etc names for each one, but could cause
troubles because Maya will assign them automatically based on the
declaration order of the attributes. Which is dangerous if you put
later a new attribute among them and try to open a scene saved
with the older shader. ( i.e.: The wrong attribute could be connected
or set )

Martin

migusan76
03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
:bowdown: Martin Your maya plugins are awesome I remeber using your cell shader ages ago and its still a awesome cell shader :) But now with your explanation I fully understand alot better the purpose of the nodeId, its just like when you code any plugin for maya you need a nodeId so that shader has no conflicts. So I better start including it :D

cpan
03-10-2005, 04:28 PM
hey martin, is your cellShader working with mray now? I remember It when I was on maya 4 and I really want it to work with mray cuz it's great :))

PROVIDE3D
03-11-2005, 03:59 AM
> hey martin, is your cellShader working with mray now ?

No. They are part of the old 'Maya Renderer' stuff :)
However, I just updated them for supporting Maya 6.5 as well.
( HIGHEND3D )

Maybe someday will take the time to port them for mental ray.
But currently I'm very busy doing some other things like hair,
pfx and other custom shaders for the mental ray renderer.

Martin

archangel123
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Quick question,

The shader works with normal lights, but with FG and IBL it just looks washed out and blown (all detail only coming from putting a value in reflection).

How do I set up this shader to work with FG/ IBL?

Mark

i am getting the same problem. :sad: what r we doing wrong??

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.