PDA

View Full Version : How to do a cartoony type of environment?

nosoup4u
09-18-2002, 08:05 AM
I want to make a cartoony 3d scene, with lighting similar to this http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/30848.html?1032326394

but i cant seem to get anywhere close. what do you think his method was to get that type of color and light?

Ed Bittner
09-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure, but I think it's got as much to do with the incidence-light incidence angle textures of many of the objects. Just my opinion of course, but that's the way it looks to me.
Ed

leigh
09-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I agree - to me those do look like mostly plain shaded objects, with some of them having light incidence/ angle incidence gradients on them :)

proton
09-18-2002, 03:01 PM
and always remember...LW users rock....so send him an email and ask him questions....I'm sure he will answer....

studiomiguel
09-18-2002, 03:13 PM
Some points I noticed.

Simple shapes in modeling.
Bright direct lighting.
Flat textures, devoid of lots of detail.

This is kind of a less-is-more approach.

Proton has a good point. Guys never mind if you ask questions on technique. The worst he could say is no.

Let us know what you find out.

Emiliano
09-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Hello you guys, William "proton" said to me about this post !!!

I was posting in Gallery/Finished work but here are my buddies...hee hee

Ed and Leigh are right !!! good eye, the finish of color and light that you notice and like was did playing with angle of incidence.

Miguel is right in most aspects, except for the lighting... it is a very carefully planned lighting of diferent types.

All same color (strange uh?) and in the hair you can see some anistropic use...

All I can say itīs that you have to spent a LOOOOT of hours to get desirable results as in any hard work of 3D !!!!! get a lot of Cofee and KEEP TRYNG !!!

Yes, Proton itīs right, you can ask wathever you want, we will respond anything (that we are allowed to respond)
:thumbsup:

LW ROCKSSSSSS

Cheerz
Emiliano
AnimaladA
www.animalada.com

nosoup4u
09-18-2002, 06:26 PM
im realtivly new to lightwave, so i dont have that much experience in lighting. I think i understand what your are talking about but a view of the lighting set-up would be great, maybe?

like where the lights are in relation to the scene.

studiomiguel
09-18-2002, 08:12 PM
I'm enjoying studying your scenes Emilliano. You guys are doing some really nice work. What are you using to generate the grass (it's splendid)?

I'm with nosoup on the lighting setup. Wouldn't mind seeing a screenshot of your placement. Are you customizing it for each sequence or do you have one large scene and sticking to one lighting scheme?

M

Emiliano
09-19-2002, 03:27 PM
We have one general setup who aproximates best what we look for.... then we tweak each scene until we like....
The hard work was to obtain what we wanted, then the tweakin just imprve some weakness and details....

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.