PDA

View Full Version : The Mice and the Egg

KevinCCAD
02-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Here's the work for an animation I'm starting. It's for school so I should've begun work a while ago but couldn't make up my mind on a good story. I'm not really happy with the character design so any suggestions to improve the look would be great. I'm working on rigging at the moment.

http://www.geocities.com/swim83mer/mousefront.jpg

Mr Gone
03-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Your mouse looks fine but if you really want to improve the character you should get into the story and decide the mouses personality. Is he skitish or clever? Does he outsmart the trap and get the cheese or stumble into a knife drawer and get thrashed. If you can narrow down is personality, then his looks will come very easily. Work with the eyes. Good luck, he looks like a fun character to animate.

Gone

kgaulin
03-04-2005, 02:16 AM
i like the style. the hands look a little dense to me, but other than that its good

KevinCCAD
03-14-2005, 01:50 AM
I've put some more work into the scene so it's starting to look like something. I still need to do the textures and lighting. Also finish rigging a second character and figure out fur as I might have my mice be furry. I plan on painting the textures with acrylic / ink and watercolor and scanning them in so there's a rich feeling to the scene.
Here's the modeling so far.
http://www.geocities.com/swim83mer/0313_progress.jpg
Here's the other character that I'm rigging right now.
http://www.geocities.com/swim83mer/chickyModel.jpg

anim8it
03-15-2005, 10:45 PM
As always, great work! Can't wait to see your rendering and compositing treatments!

LASanchez
05-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Looks good man! I love your style.

Frogman
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Good looking stuff you have here. Have fun with your rigging..

A couple things.. Are you going to deform the mouse's eyes to get expressions or the brow? He doesn't really have a lid for blinking. You might add a diagonal cut or two across the ears so you can bend them easier for some flexibility. Do you plan on being able to rotate the forarm? If so, then add a few more rows between the elbows and hands. It should make it easier. He has a bulbous body.. I find that its a pain to weight/deform correctly around the hips so you might add an edge loop or two there.

Be sure an make his spine really simple.. a cog and three bones before the neck would do it.

Are you Rigid or Smoothing binding the mesh? With him being so low poly, I suggest using a rigid bind with flexors.

Just to save you pain.. make sure you have his uvs layed out and test the texturing before you start weighting the mesh. The same goes for applying blend shapes if you're using any.

I know its just a test render, but you might consider faking some global illumination to soften the lighting and rendering in layers so you can really adjust your color composition and shadows. Good luck on your film and work late!!

KevinCCAD
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
The mouse has eyelids now. The brows do most of the Emotion though I could add expressions to the lids. My hips deform nicely, but you're right about the forearm, I'm pretty sick of this character now so I might just model something I'm more interested in. This was mostly a learning experience since it's practically the first character I've rigged.

I created this scene and characters for a story that I had settle on in a hurry. I was never really happy with the story but not I'm just sick of it so... I have been having some fun with the chick character though.

muckymouse
05-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Wow..I don't really like the mouse..Can't really put my finger on why.

But..I LOVE THAT BIRD!! Great design..Make a mouse in that same style and your set.

Maybe change the mouse eyes to cartoony like the bird. I think the reason I don't like it is because you have a wishy washy mix between a real mouse and a cartoon mouse..

I know you'll probably keep the mouse design the way it is as you've already started, but thats my two cents..

!!
RUNYON

KevinCCAD
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the reply, I never was really happy with my design for the mouse, I probably did about 2 dozen different sketches of mice and then settled on this one because I was rushed. Maybe that's why I've lost interest in my mouse but am still using the chick. I have plans for the next character I'll model.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.