PDA

View Full Version : Blendshape and bone animation

fanmap81
02-25-2005, 09:47 PM
i have a character that im trying to animate and im not sure exactly how to go about animating the face on the head, and at the same time, have the body animated, so that the head and body move together as one unit while im able to change the facial expressions. I skinned a model to a skeleton and animated it, and it works fine, then i seperate the head faces from the body faces and it still animates fine. Now when i try to duplicate the head in order to make blend shapes, and animate the body, the head seperates from the body and does not move along with the body anymore. What is the workflow for this kind of animation because ive been dying to know for the longest while. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

ietra
03-03-2005, 11:33 PM
The usual workflow would be to finish your character setup before you start animating... ;)

Depending on the type of character (e.g. whether the seam btwn the body and head is visible) you should decide whether the head and body mesh should be separate. If they are, which sounds like your situation, then maybe you can just parent the head to the top neck joint so it follows the body. Or if the head is skinned to the skeleton and you're applying blendshapes, you probably need to open up the list of inputs for the head (right-click) and re-order the deformations so that the skin cluster evaluates before the blend shape deformer. Otherwise the head will keep trying to go back to its original world position every time you apply a shape.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2005, 11:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.