PDA

View Full Version : Shave instance

dfaris
02-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Anyone have any luck using Shave's instance option? I'm trying to use
a textured feather as an instance but when I render it looks like crap.

The feather texture is just a simple plane with the feather texture and an alpha.
I use the instance in the shave render settings and it does render it just does not look anything like it should.

Heres a pic of what I'm talking about.

ooo
02-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Anyone have any luck using Shave's instance option? I'm trying to use
a textured feather as an instance but when I render it looks like crap.

The feather texture is just a simple plane with the feather texture and an alpha.
I use the instance in the shave render settings and it does render it just does not look anything like it should.

Heres a pic of what I'm talking about.

Why not try StormTracer for this? I also tried these kind of instances with S&H but it didn't really worked like I wanted. StormTracer is my friend now.

cheers, odo

dfaris
02-25-2005, 11:31 PM
I would love to try storm. But 1. how do I get the feather to lay flat and how do I use an object like that or do I just use the texture?

Per-Anders
02-25-2005, 11:37 PM
use the texture only. and if you wanted use the organic cloning mode with Stretch UV on to have the feathers all flowing differently.

dfaris
02-25-2005, 11:46 PM
Come to think of it I'm not sure storm would work. Shave lets me have a bit more control over the feather by using the hair guids. But that seems a bit useless as I cant get it to work anyway.

Per-Anders
02-26-2005, 12:15 AM
well i don't know what you want, but it's pretty easy to make things behave fairly well in storm

http://www.peranders.com/c4d8/celery/featherball.jpg

dfaris
02-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Hey thats fantastic, the wing I'm working on is going to animated and I think storm has all the alpha face the camera, correct? The featers will have to stay attached to the wing but also I must be able to rotate around the wing and not have the feathers face the camera all the time. Does that make it clear as mud? Kinda hard to explain.

Per-Anders
02-26-2005, 12:33 AM
hmm, well you can always try. but yes the storms will always face the camera.

in your case though what i'd actually do is use that feather texture as a brush in photoshop and paint out a few layers of feathers for the wings, and use maybe cloth on them (rather than doing feathers individually). then have some individual feathres around the edges/periphery.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.