PDA

View Full Version : TV Turn Off Effect

toenexx
02-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Hey, I'm new to the forums and new user of After Effects so bare with me. I'm trying to create the effect of a tv turning off, you know when the picture shrinks from all corners into the middle and creates a white circle. What would be the best method to do this? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

toenexx

Ian Jones
02-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Try effect > distort > optics compensation. That should almost exactly simulate the effect your after. Of course you need to do a little more to it to make it look right, like adding additional flicker and ghosting, but essentially that filter should give you the effect you want.

Voitek
02-26-2005, 08:39 AM
As far as I know, Optics compensation is only in AE PRO, so you if you don't have it, there are several methods you could use. The simplest one is to animate scale attribute of your picture. For example first scale it down to a single line and then to one point. You should experiment with it a little, so it doesn't look very "linear". It should be done quickly, in a few frames. Turn on motion blur, try to add some quickly animated color or light effects, some glow, anything. Don't limit yourself to one layer, because it will look very raw. The turning off should be also emphasized by a sound effect.

Good luck!
Voitek

jussing
02-26-2005, 01:04 PM
The most important thing - IMO - is to get reference material of exactly what you want. Then study that frame by frame, and basically just "do it".

And yea, animating the scale of the picture, and playing with some glow, is propably the way to go.

- Jonas

Ødb
02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Try this tut.

http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae25_e.html#

flawedprefect
03-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I've done this trick before, and I find nothing is easier than creating a round mask, and scaling from larger than the project area down to a pin prick over six frames, then putting an opacity fade over ten. Blow out the layer with Brightness/Contrast, but for added effect, Add a second layer (a solid will suffice) and give it a noise filter. Then give it a transfer mode like "stencil luma" or something (easiest to toggle by pressing SHIFT then + or - until you come up with the desired transfer mode). Make sure this starts right before the mask scale.

This, combined with a nice sound effect, will give you a pretty cool looking "TV switched off" effect without using any third party or Pro plugins.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.