PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Advertising Coming to Anarchy Online

RobertoOrtiz
02-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Quote:
"Anarchy Online players will soon see advertisements on billboards stationed in central regions of the game's futuristic landscape. Online game developer and publisher Funcom, based in Sweden, announced today that it has inked an exclusive deal with New York City-based Massive, one of a small number of companies creating a viable market in in-game advertising.
http://adlog.com.com/adlog/i/r=7027&s=501815&t=2005.02.25.12.42.42&o=1:&h=pi&p=2&b=4&l=En_US&&site=6&x-bid=19790&x-bb=10.15.0.52/http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/Ads/common/dotclear.gif

Just a month ago, Massive nabbed (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/19/news_6116670.html) $10 million in funding and stated that it was working with eight game publishers, including Ubisoft, Atari, and Vivendi Universal, on deals like the one announced today with Funcom. In December, Massive forged an alliance with Nielsen Interactive Entertainment to track the effectiveness and reach of its advertising efforts"

>>Link<< (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/24/news_6119195.html)

-R

Lord3d2
02-25-2005, 08:03 PM
It was only a matter of time, its there products so they have the right to do it.

Movies have in advertising all the time, all the time.

Now games have it.

Games cost tons of money aswell do movies, they need more revenue or the cost of games will increase.

This is a buisness

Lyr
02-25-2005, 08:08 PM
EQ2's /pizza command is cooler.

KolbyJukes
02-25-2005, 08:12 PM
As long as the gameplay itself isn't impacted by the advertising, I'm alright with it...as long as they keep it in check.

I would be rather pissed if I saw an advertisement for Coca Cola in a game of Warcraft, or an ad for cheetos in a game of CS. However it wouldn't be out of place in a game of GTA.

Saban
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
They have had Alienware billboard advertisments ingame for awhile now, so it's not that new.

Lord3d2
02-25-2005, 08:33 PM
But see that never ever happens.

Never happens in movies.

They will relate it to its each own's enviornment and occasion.

KolbyJukes
02-25-2005, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't be so certain, I've sat through numerous movies where product placement really manages to break the fantasy, you'll be digging the action, maybe some intense argument, then one of the characters reaches down to grab a pepsi, and places it prominently in the frame, label facing camera, you can't help but be distracted and IMO it really cheapens the film.

my examples (coke in Warcraft) were extreme cases, but I can't see how you can be certain that the advertisers/game designers will always "relate it to its each own's enviornment and occasion" - that seems naive, I'm more then certain if advertising in games becomes a popular trend, we'll start to see some very glaring, akwardly placed ads.

I know from personal experience while viewing films and television, that advertisement in games will distract me, and cheapen the overall experience.

-K.

MfS
02-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I don't agree with this. You have to pay for the game and pay for a monthly subscription. I would expect not see any advertisement at all!

PyRoT
02-26-2005, 01:58 AM
This is a very good thing IMO. I think it will improve the quality of games while possibly decrease costs in the long run. More money is a good thing for games as they are taking heaps of time to make nowadays. Imagine all the free game projects which could benefit!

NanoGator
02-26-2005, 02:19 AM
I don't instantly hate the idea of in-game advertising. It can be done wrong, of course, but I always notice when a knock-off brand is used in place of something that a real world product would normally fit into. I've been playing San Andreas lately, and it's weird to drink something that's not Sprite but tries to look like it. Heh.

Honestly, I think that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the Back to the Future trilogy. It was more interesting seeing a futuristic Texaco than a futuristic generic gas station.

darcbark
02-26-2005, 10:44 AM
You can play this game for free untill Jan 16 ,2006 if you like. All you have to do is download it usnig bittorrent and your in business.

here is the link... (http://www.anarchy-online.com/free/ad_campaigns/freecampaign/)

Zeruel the 14th
02-27-2005, 05:51 AM
I'm a bit unsure. On one hand, You've paid money for a product that didn't have ads and now does. You don't pay for Free to Air TV. On the other hand. You buy magazines, with do have adds (but presumably thats profit making, and not cost covering)

Its probably convered in the EULA, like it lump it. :(
(Or pay extra for no ads?)

If we're gonna get stuck with ads in our games, it'd be nice if they gave us region specific ones (products familiar to the locals). I played Need for Speed Underground 2...and I still don't know what the hell a 'best buy' is. What benefit does a US company get from Aussie views? Apparently none whatsoever, while just making us scratch our heads. As best as i can tell, 'Best Buy' isn't 'Coke International' and I don't know who or what 'cingular' is. (Presumably a phone company seeing as its related to ingame SMSs)

A little effort on their part and they could make a little more money, and not make us non-US gamers go "Huh?" or "WTF?".

Ingame, ads, tastfully done, can add to real world immersion (if one is sought after that is). But it just don't work with unfamiliar products etc...might as well give us fake ads. Gamers accepted those.

Or give us Engrish ones. :buttrock:

jeffthomann
02-27-2005, 11:01 AM
If (BIG IF) they make monthy game play free forever because of it, it'd be worth it... that'll probably never happen, and other games will probably start following suit... in a year or two you'll probably be seeing ads for stuff in other games like world of warcraft, etc...

THE ONLY way they'll stop it is if they get enough reaction from gamers and you start seeing a MASSIVE group of games stop playing because of it. It'd have to be a LOT of gamers though. It IS a trend that others will follow unless the gamers put a stop to it by putting their money where their hearts are and stop freakin playing until the ads quit or something.

I signed up for the free play when it first came out. Quite frankly, I don't have enough time to waste on it at the moment, so stopped playing. Now I'm stuck getting expansion pack spam until next January... Free is never totally free I guess.

rendermania
02-27-2005, 12:07 PM
It was only a matter of time, its there products so they have the right to do it.

And I have right to an ad-free experience if I've forked out $45 for a game and the right not to buy anything that has overt product placement in it. If the game is free of charge or relatively cheap and the rest of the cost ad supported, that's another matter, but I will not spend $45 that gives me a garbage experience like ad-supported television. People are already bombarded with enough advertising as it is. We don't need advertising to creep into every leisure activity we engage in.

Movies have in advertising all the time, all the time.

Yes, it made a complete mess of the last Bond film, where you couldn't tell if you're watching a film or a string of loosely interconnected product placements.

Now games have it.

Today's game industry is a more commercial beast than it used to be back in the heydays.

Games cost tons of money aswell do movies, they need more revenue or the cost of games will increase.

Or developers need to learn to focus more on good game design than spending millions on geewiz graphics and audio. Building more efficient game authoring tools would help as well.
Stuff that merely looks good but isn't particularly interactive doesn't add much to the overall experience. Doom III would be a good case study.

This is a buisness

Exactly. So don't alienate people who buy your products by plastering advertising for completely non-game related things in games.

BRUTICUS
02-27-2005, 02:44 PM
What the game companies should do is mark all the billboards and busstop ads that are available in a level, then give a special advertisers version of the game allowing the advertisers to walk around in online and bid on each billboard and each pop can. Id like to see both a coke and a pepsi ad in it. Instead of just seeing pepsi all over the place like pepsi has taken control of the planet. Id like to see it more like a real world environment type situation.

jeffthomann
02-28-2005, 12:45 PM
That's a cool idea. Maybe have the ceo of an ad company be a certain character type that your ad company has to pay mega bucks for... The ceo of the competition has to pay the same to get an in game ceo. The two ceos then have to actually do in game bids, contracts, etc. This sort of idea has a lot of potential. I doubt too many ad companies would take it seriously, but hey, they might. It'd make it feel more real. Wouldn't it be cool if Rockstar took up this sort of idea for an online version of gta or other big time companies with liberal trends did something like this. I'd imagine once one started it others would take up similar ideas in their in game ads.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.