PDA

View Full Version : XSI polygons to 3DSMAX

Gonzo The Great
09-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Anyone know of a plugin to import XSI polygons into MAX.

Nurbs are done fine with IGES

The way I heard it is done is Wavefront (.OBJ) Importer/Export in both programs, but I have version 1.5 and I think the only way is with version 2.xx.

Any clues?

Cheers

EdHarriss
09-19-2002, 04:06 AM
Try 3dexploration. http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

It will convert just about anything.

Gonzo The Great
09-19-2002, 04:26 AM
Thanks Ed.

Although I don't have access to the Right Hem software, I think I found a nice work around, anyways.

I'll post the method later when I get it right.

I wanna ask... I looked on your website and saw you're an XSI lover. Its a pretty safe bet the user who wanted to learn a new package considered between Maya and XSI. If this is right... what made you choose XSI in the end, or do you know both?

Dr-spline
09-19-2002, 04:30 AM
also check out polytrans

EdHarriss
09-19-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Gonzo The Great
what made you choose XSI in the end, or do you know both?

I do a lot of rendering, lighting, texturing and compositing. I needed something that was really good at all 4 of those things, straight out of the box. No translators, plugins or external apps. (Too much room for error and loss of functionality.) Not to mention the fact that external renderers often slow down the tweak/render/tweak/render process. Because, what good is all your fabulous texturing and lighting if you can't get it to look right or it won't render at all? Or if the workflow is too slow to get proper feedback. Frustration leads to bad art and I wan't to avoid that as much as possible. I don't know about you, but I have deadlines to meet and don't think *I* could meet them with any other product. But that's just me. Others are faster in different packages for various reasons. Bottom line: XSI just suits me.

Dr-spline
09-19-2002, 06:06 PM
nice ed, im glad you not just another "my program is the best" guy
Use what suits you!
If your like me yould rather model and animate in one program and add fx in another. (in my case max to maya) but keep in mind i do use xsi( still learning basics).
Use what you feel comfertable with or your gonna hte every min of it.

Gonzo The Great
09-20-2002, 03:55 AM
A thoughtful reply... and thankyou.

I haven't looked too deeply into MentalRay, but I searched for the best of it's renders on the Internet and in Film and it doesn't impress me. Older dedicated users that I know of are of changing opinion also. You said you'd preferred not to add plugins or external apps to base programs, do you use multiple renderers?

Also... does your rendering background stretch out to NPR work?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.