PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 network problem w/ XP

T Bomb
02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey guys I really need some help or atleast some ideas on this one. A friend of the family asked me to transfer some files from Win 98 to their new computer running XP over thier network. Not a problem, done it before at home and at work with out a hitch. I put both computer on the same workgroup, they both have different computer names yadda yadda. I put the XP CD into the 98 machine and did all the regular stuff to upgrade the networking on 98. However the Windows 98 computer will not let the XP machine axcess it. I enabled file sharing and the whole bit on both computers. The XP machine sees the Win 98 computer but the 98 computer doesn't see the XP comp. I played with all the settings and to no avail it still won't let me on. If anyone has any idea I'd greatly apprieciate it. If they had a CD burner on the 98 machine I would just use that however they don't. Help

singularity2006
02-25-2005, 06:41 PM
i gave up trying to network 98 -> XP. Just unplug the hard drive on the machine and plug it to the other system. It's WAY faster if ur uploading massive GB of files.

jeffthomann
02-25-2005, 06:52 PM
yep... I had similar problems... finally just got both machines windows xp. Just burn a cd with the files and then you'll have them. FORGET WINDOWS 98! It's networking capabilites are about as great as a wheeless, moterless bmw. It may look like ok from a distance, but once you get up close and put the keys in the ignition it ain't gonna go nowhere.

T Bomb
02-25-2005, 07:26 PM
ok thanks guys, I was really afraid of that. I'll just pop in my spare CD burner and do it that way.

Just watch, it won't read the burner when I throw it in. *knocks on wood*

singularity2006
02-25-2005, 07:30 PM
dooode, why bother popping in the CD burner? If u gotta open the case to do that, just pull out the hard drive and plug it directly to the XP system. No incompatibility problems guaranteed.

Valkyrien
02-28-2005, 04:39 AM
dooode, why bother popping in the CD burner? If u gotta open the case to do that, just pull out the hard drive and plug it directly to the XP system. No incompatibility problems guaranteed.

nevermind, I was commenting without reading the original post :p

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.