PDA

View Full Version : XSI Maintenace, worth it or not.

3DDave
02-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I was wondering if any XSI users on maintenace could chime in and let us know if it worth it or not. How often are updates issued? Are updates the main reason you chose maintenace or was it the support?

Thanks

Atyss
02-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Well there are two benefits to maintenance: upgrades and support. They definitely worth if you are a full-time worker with XSI. You may need support only once a year, but this might really save your butt. However if you're a hobbyist, a student or a part-time XSI user, the advantages are not that significant.

About updates.... only escalation clients (advanced support) can have the non-official updates (QFEs), unless this has changed recently. For any other regular maintenance user, they get a free upgrade if there is one issued during the year of maintenance. If more than one upgrade is released, then you have to pay an upgrade cost for the ones beyond the first. Updates on the other hand (released of a smaller number than x.x) are generally free for any Softimage customer, maintenance or not. I could be wrong though, you are better checking with SI or a reseller. It's up to you to decide if it worths it or not. Personally I'm very happy about small updates, but with each major upgrades I'm cautious.

Cheers
Bernard

jcorkery
02-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I purchased a maintenance contract because, from what I was told, simply purchasing version upgrades as they come out would actually be a little bit more expensive. Even if both choices came out to be the same price, a maintenance contract seems like a pretty good idea because of the additional support.

jcorkery
02-25-2005, 06:59 PM
If more than one upgrade is released, then you have to pay an upgrade cost for the ones beyond the first.

I guess that sounds fair, but if it's true I wish they would have told me. The only details they provide on their website, as far as I could see, are these:

"For SOFTIMAGE|XSI, access to all software upgrade releases during your maintenance contract period, so you are set-up and running on the most current version of the software, complete with the most recent performance and workflow enhancements."

and

"During the past three years our customers on maintenance have received an average of three release and product upgrades each year."

wmendez
02-26-2005, 05:04 AM
That is correct John, regardless of the number of updates made if you are under maintenance you will recieve them for free. Also if you have a bug that is a showstopper and it' has already been resolved by a QFE then you will be entitled to receive it. You do have to go through support first.

jcorkery
02-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Will. That being the case, going with a maintenance contract seems like a no-brainer to me.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.