PDA

View Full Version : softbody's goal a la Maya ?

seb4d
02-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to achieve an effect that I often did in Maya.
In Maya when you turn a mesh into a softbody you can duplicate the object and make the duplicate a goal for the softbody's particles, so that the softbody always tries to keep the shape of the goal depending on each particle's weight.

Now I'm trying to do that in XSI but it seems there isn't any goal option.

What I want to do is a ripple effect at the surface on the softbody each time an object goes through the mesh. But when the softbody is hit by an object the entire mesh flies away as it is not attracted by a goal.

Well, I'm not even sure it is possible to get the same effect in xsi, but how could you do a similar thing then ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Eraq
02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey Seb4d....

Im having a tread running at xsibase.com about that exact problem you are describing.
Im very sorry to say, that softbodydynamics in XSI are very limited in its use compared to Maya.
The softbodies in XSI only react to the movements of objects centerpoint making i useless in situations which implement shapeanimation etc.

I really hope that Softimage is adressing this in the future. I would really hate deal with this in a production that needed this setup.

Here is a link to my tread. It descripe how I managed to get my shape animation from Maya to XSI...
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=17456;start=8]

Erik

seb4d
02-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok thanks Eraq,
I think I'll try doing that in Maya and then export to xsi, maybe by creating a sequence of .obj files and use them as shapes in xsi.... heavy process by I really need it.

Thanks !

Eraq
02-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey Seb..

The RealFlow approach worked perfect to get shapeanimation from Maya to XSI. It think it must be easier than saving out 100`s of *.obj

Erik

seb4d
02-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes Realflow seems to be the solution, thanks again for your help, I think I'll get what I want !
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.