PDA

View Full Version : Watch full versions of a few Oscar Nominated shorts!

BarryRIT
02-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Salon.com has the full version of a few Oscar nominated shorts on their site (Gopher Broke, Guard Dog, and Ryan)...

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2005/02/25/shorts/index.html

you may have to watch a very brief ad to get full access to the site, but its only like 30 seconds. Enjoy!

EDIT: It looks like they are down. I guess they were only up for one day. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

My Fault
02-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Awesome find.

Wow, Ryan really was fantastic. I haven't really liked Landreth's earlier work but this was just phenomenal. Very powerful stuff

And it sure looks like Blur may just be at the early days of being a major juggernaut. Gopher Broke was really well put together.

ilya11
02-25-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm absolutely stunned by Ryan. Does anybody know where could one purchase a copy of the film? Astonishing work, I will be truly dissapointed if it doesn't win the award this year.

visionmaster2
02-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Yes, Ryan is incredible !

SheepFactory
02-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm absolutely stunned by Ryan. Does anybody know where could one purchase a copy of the film? Astonishing work, I will be truly dissapointed if it doesn't win the award this year.

You'll be able to buy it from the Alias webstore once the oscars are over i think. Its called "making of ryan"

Morten_Jensen
02-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I spoke to Landreth attending the latest 3D festival in Copenhagen, and he said that The national film board of Canada is going to release it on DVD. He didnīt know when though.

Morten

RayenD
02-25-2005, 06:23 PM
I have seen Ryan before and it just hit me... it's brillant. Nothing else on this year nomination list is even close - with all respect to other artists who are nominated.

There is so many great things in this film...

Duncan
02-25-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm absolutely stunned by Ryan. Does anybody know where could one purchase a copy of the film?

You can preorder the dvd at
http://www.nfb.ca/store

I've ordered mine! It comes with lots of other goodies.

Duncan

ddaniels
02-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Ryan is truly a work of art

bry
02-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi,

there's a book named Cyber Arts, with Ryan on the cover that brings a DVD with the whole short.

Bruno

Njal
02-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Having just seen Ryan for the first time, I now wish I could change my choice in the office Oscar sweepstake. If Ryan doesn't win, there will truely be no justice in the world.

It's a beautiful, heartbreaking film.

,Njal

whtnoise
02-26-2005, 02:54 AM
i second everyone else's opinions on Ryan, absolutely amazing film :thumbsup:

Signal2Noise
02-26-2005, 04:39 AM
I spoke to Landreth attending the latest 3D festival in Copenhagen, and he said that The national film board of Canada is going to release it on DVD. He didnīt know when though.

Morten

Here's a thread I posted about Ryan's DVD release (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=207080&highlight=landreth).

slime
02-26-2005, 05:08 AM
I didn't like Ryan :shrug:

mmkelly011881
02-26-2005, 05:18 AM
not to get killed here or anything but i enjoyed Gopher Broke far more than Ryan, don't get me wrong, the effects were cool and all and Ryan's story itself was sad and well characterized but i felt that Landreth made himself too large a part of it. It felt like a student film that got off track with great special effects.

BrandonD
02-26-2005, 05:25 AM
I'll have to disent. "Gopher Broke" is a wonderful piece of simple story and character, beautifully put together and very entertaining. Blur's best work yet!

Blazer
02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
anyone got Gopher Broke saved as the files are now offline on the site?

Irratio
02-26-2005, 02:47 PM
I would like to see Gopher Broke or Guard Dog, too. Could anyone upload the movie again, or would that be illegal? Thanks in advance.

leuey
02-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Ryan was wonderful. The animation itself had a unique style and supplemented the story well - but it was the subject matter itself that was so great. Instead of going with a story that would have been uniquely suited for animation he went the other direction and found a way to enhance the storytelling through animation.

I was pleasantly surprised, it was nothing like I thought it would be (wasn't a big fan of Bingo the Clowno). It was great.

-Greg

Kananga
02-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I wonder why "Birthday Boy" isnt on that site. That was being touted here as the one that will win. Could just be parochial australian news reports.:shrug:

EvilGnome
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Didn't see anything saying that "Birthday Boy" was a definite winner in the Australian Press.... but there was a lot of coverage because it's an Australian production.

Interestingly enough, didn't hear anything about it in the Oscar reports since the winners were announced. Fickle press has nothing to say now it hasn't won! Typical.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.