PDA

View Full Version : License question for two computers

Delinos
02-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi
I just bought myself a laptop and want to install Cinema on it. However the license agreement says that I can only install it on one hardware platform. Since it is only me who are going to use it I would have to deinstall it on my workstation, install it on my laptop and when I come home deinstall it from laptop, install it on workstation again. This is a bit cumbersome, do I need another license for my laptop in this case?
Is anyone good at this license thingy?

Cheers
Anders Sandelin

jimzepellin
02-26-2005, 10:38 AM
It's OK to have it installed on both machines as long as only one install of C4D is used at a time.

Srek
02-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi,
the license is pretty clear on this, you can only install it on one system at a time.
Of course you can just install it to a CD-R or any external drive to move the app between several systems. CINEMA is very flexible in this regard.
Cheers
Srek

Delinos
02-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi
Thanks for the answer, that was just what I thought. Good idea to install it on a external drive. But maybe this issue has to be resolved in another way in the future since more and more people are using two computers. I myself would not mind paying extra for such a license. It is always the matter with plugIns needing the same serial numbers and such.

Regards
Anders Sandelin

Srek
02-26-2005, 01:20 PM
The situation with plugins is the same as with the main program, to run them on two installations you would need two licences.
For CINEMA you can obtain additonal licences for a reduced price, just give your nearest Maxon office a call.
Cheers
Srek

Delinos
02-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi

I actually called them first on this matter but they did not know how the regulations were, hence my question here. I already have two licenses of Cinema, one PC and one Mac but now it seems I'll be needing a third. I don't have any problem with that, especially at a reduced price http://www.cgtalk.com/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Cheers
Anders

R1PPER
02-26-2005, 02:35 PM
WOW Delinos. Id have a problem with that...ouch.

I reckon when i buy a software package that intitles me to run it any way i see fit, and on whatever platform. Theres no way id buy a PC and MAC serial thats just insane. I totally understand where Maxon is coming from and Shrek has to take the corporate line.
Sometimes Licence agreements make me sick. :drool:

Ernest Burden
02-26-2005, 06:08 PM
I reckon when i buy a software package that intitles me to run it any way i see fit, and on whatever platform.

I suppose the EULA does use that language.

But I agree, its pretty f*ing annoying. My current laptop is getting old, so I am not using it so much, but I will buy another. Sometimes I work at a client's studio. I would take a laptop and use all my software there, instead of here, in my own studio.

I've paid for a licence to RENDER on every CPU on Earth if I have access (Studio Bundle) but I can't model on two computers at different times without a new licence?

The first concept is that you don't OWN software, you just lease a right to use it to make yourself money. Now they have tacked on this new level of restriction that you can only use it on a particular machine (without the tasks uf un-istalling each time). Who is really licenced to use the software then, me or my PC?

When you buy a music CD wouldn't it be funny if the RIAA now told you that you had to choose which CD player to use it on? And isn't that exactly what happens with iToons files from Apple put on an ipod?

Yeah, I know why the EULAs get written like they do. It just annoys me as a paying customer to be making up for the people who steal. The publisher can't hit them so they hit me.

Delinos
02-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi
I can understand why it is difficult to write eula's. There is just so many different configurations you have to draw the line somewhere. The software you buy should follow the user in some way but that is also very hard to control. I think that in the future you will be able to use software wherever you like if you can identify yourself from the computer you use at the moment. However, we're stuck at this eula's at the moment so no need to complain because we agreed to it when we bought the software in the first place. We can get additional licenses for a reduced price so I don't see Maxon as a salesperson, I see them as a partner in my business.
Cinema is my bread and butter and it has paid for my house, car etc etc. The development and features they add is beyond my expectations for the price they ask for the software.
Therefore it is in my interest that a continuous development goes on and is in the right direction. It is like being a supporter of a fotball team. Follow the rules, give them support and they will win.

Cheers
Anders

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.