PDA

View Full Version : Come back, Lightwave Pro

Steve Warner
09-17-2002, 10:08 PM
I was cleaning out the back room the other day and came across a stack of Lightwave Pro magazines. For those relatively new to the Lightwave scene, LWP was a publication put out around 1996 by the same people who published Video Toaster User.

I flipped through a few issues last night. One article talked about the increadible new features coming out in Lightwave 5. Another talked about a horrified user getting 30-minute renders, even on his new Pentium 90! It just goes to show that we're gonna get 30-minute renders, no matter how fast our computers are. :)

The thing I was really impressed by, though, was the detailed, production-minded nature of the publication. Even though each issue was only 20 pages or so, it was packed with tips on modeling, surfacing, and animating. These weren't your average "here's how to model a cup" tutorials. One of the articles I read last night was written by a guy from Computer Cafe. It took an in-depth look at some of the production problems they had working on a feature film and how they solved them with lightwave. The article had a detailed, tutorial-like nature. Another article I read (also by the folks at Computer Cafe) talked about how to composite Lightwave renders with film, including a subsection on film scanning.

Even though these articles were geared towards an older version of Lightwave, I actually came away learning something. And it made me wonder, when will someone bring back this beloved magazine? :shrug:

I subscribed to Newtek Pro with the hopes that it would fill the gap. Six issues later I'm so disappointed. The tutorials were vague. The articles weren't production oriented. It seems like the only thing Newtek Pro had going for it was its gallery. But you can get that here at CG Talk for free.

Anyway, I don't really have a point to all this except to say that I miss Lightwave Pro. I really wish someone would step up to the plate and deliver a new Lightwave magazine. One that didn't waste space with fluff articles, but instead, took an in-depth look at how to use the software. One that offered tutorials from the pros and tackled tough production issues. One that helped us all to become better CG artists.

Hello magazine executives. Is there anybody out there? I'm ready to subscribe.

Steve

LyonHaert
09-17-2002, 10:22 PM
i hear you about those older mags. i had gone to a used bookstore months ago and got The LighWave 3D Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879304553/qid=1032297763/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-7371216-2556866?v=glance&s=books&n=507846), which has a whole slew of the articles from the 5.0/5.5 days, and a couple from before that. my favorite reference material second to the manual and Ablan's book.

Lizard Head
09-17-2002, 10:49 PM
>>>Even though these articles were geared towards an older version of Lightwave, I actually came away learning something. And it made me wonder, when will someone bring back this beloved magazine?<<<<

thats why I keep everything, My library goes wayyyyyyy back in time, and every so often, as I waltz off to my office ( the bathroom) I take along some older reading material with me and I always come away with fresh Ideas, and I realize how easy we have it now with these more powerful Applications.

proton
09-18-2002, 12:06 AM
I hope the LightWave Tutorials on the LightWave site are filling the gap a little....I'm starting to get more advanced tutorials submitted that should help as well.....but I wouldn't mind getting some magazines like VideoToaster User and LightWave Pro as well...:)

JVitale
09-18-2002, 12:45 AM
If I am not mistaken, LightWave Pro became Keyframe Magazine...There was once a book on a compilation of LightWave Pro articles, most of them for LightWave 4.0.

jfornasar
09-18-2002, 02:43 AM
***There was once a book on a compilation of LightWave Pro articles, most of them for LightWave 4.0.***

The compilation of LightWave Pro articles is in a book called "The LightWave 3D Book". I've recommended it for years.

The majority of articles were for LW4, with several referring to features in the "new" LW5.

I think LightWave Pro had a lot to do with the formation of the LW community. There were articles from all the leading 3D people of the day.

As episodes of Babylon 5, Startrek Voyager, RoboCop and others were broadcast, the LW artists were giving away their secrets. Every aspect of LW is covered, and there is a ton of stuff in there that I would bet a lot of people don't know is in LW - faking volumetric lighting, faking radiosity, front projection mapping, etc.

I pop back into that book on occasion, and still learn new things.
Definitely recommended if you can find it.
The book was published by Miller Freeman

LyonHaert
09-18-2002, 03:00 AM
i have a link to that book in my above post, btw.

Omita
09-18-2002, 03:43 AM
Not to be a lamer... but I have not been impressed with recent LW related Magazines. Newtek Pro was good for a short time but the Wedding Episode and the move to a bi-monthly release really turned me off.

So I have been getting KeyFrame... and KeyFrame is just awful in my opinion. It's layouts look like crappy CG magazines from years ago. And the actual information isn't very useful to actual professionals. Over all I am pretty disappointed.

-Omita

PNelson
09-18-2002, 04:27 AM
A little history lesson and trivia

Lee Stranahan started Breadbox magazine..
Sold it to Jim Plant who turned it into Video Toaster User and also started LightWave Pro...

Sold them to Advanstar who changed the name to NewTekpro..
Editors were Molly and Dick..

Molly and Dick started NewTek Pro.... Lee Stranahan edits Keyframe and Jim Plant is now CEO of NewTek!!

Sounds like an X-File to me.. ;->

See Ya,
Philip Nelson
NewTek

Note: I hope I got all o' the facts straight.. ;->

JVitale
09-18-2002, 06:14 AM
Philip!

You omitted the part where it was sold to Advanstar and became Newtekniques then Advanstar dropped the magzine which then became Newtek Pro.

ChrisR
09-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Keframe Magazine, I believe, was formely called Lightwavin' magazine.

webfox
09-18-2002, 09:08 PM
What? No one's going to mention Bill Fleming and his magazines?

:twisted:

muhahahahah!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.