PDA

View Full Version : Creating a universe... anyone ever try it?

TMNT3D
02-24-2005, 10:21 PM
Despite a few negative reactions to my idea, I like it enough to try and develop it further.

But the problem is, I've never attempted to do something this big before and I'm getting a bit of cold feet. I've gotten issue 1 written out, and it's basically just a setup of the main character discovering his powers, nothing spectacular. Now I find myself overwhelmed to make Issue 2 a bit more interesting than the first, and have so many ideas, I don't know wich one is the right one to go with....let alone how to properly structure the issue to fit them all.

Has anyone else attempted anything like this before, and are there any tips you could give me? Now that issue 1 draft 3 is finished, I could post it for reviews as I'd love opinions on it..

Thanks!

BigJay
02-28-2005, 04:49 AM
not sure what your asking?

if you are trying to build a universe and need help or if someoen wrote a 1st story that is so good that a sequal will suck?

I've built tons of universes for various stories. some reuse elements of previous versions, more like guest appearances. Building a universe is not hard, finding good characters that tell a compelling story is however.

As for first storys that I think are written so well that the sequal couldn't be as good I tend to write past the first story into the next so the flow I had going in the first is there in teh second. if i stop and try to pick up the story in the next I tend to not get the flow going as well and I need to go back and reedit more than normal.

post your story if you want more feedback or to give us a better idea of what you want

TMNT3D
02-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Here it is. I havn't botherred to fix the spelling and grammer erros. If enough people hate it, there's no point because I'm going back to another draft. So please excuse those...Issue 1 is basically served to setup the characters..

http://www.ninjaturtlesnetwork.com/menu/Issue1HeroesWanted.doc

greynite1
02-28-2005, 09:39 PM
But hehehehe don't know how successful it is A Universe can be more of a media project. But first you probably want to start with the basics like what are the rules of physics is it just like our world? Subtle Differences or is it something vastly different for instance a world of Shrimp. :)

it takes alot of time because basically its all one big BACK STORY project remember that you are creating concepts and ideas which your reading audience will probably not know about or at least not know about at first and much like real life they will only understand a small proportion of the full scope of the universe.

for instance why does your character have powers? Why is he the one chosen how will the society of your universe react. what does it mean to him are they blessing a curse a means to an end?

I agree with Big Jay that the hard part is not in making the universe but in making the characters and stories in that universe unique and interesting. Good luck man.

KarlSchroeder
03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
If your universe is nothing but a white room, but your characters and their conflict are compelling, nobody is going to notice the (lack of) universe. In other words, everything about the world is there to support the stories you tell. Hence, I suspect that your anxiety is not about worldbuilding as such, it's about story.

To put it as clearly as I can: the story creates the world. No story, no world.

TMNT3D
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
for instance why does your character have powers? Why is he the one chosen how will the society of your universe react. what does it mean to him are they blessing a curse a means to an end? >>>

There was a whole backsotry I had planned, wich explained how is Grandfather was exposed to a mutagenic virus and gained super powers. The powers skip a generation, so his son didn't have it but his grandson, the main character, does. I skipped the backstory and explained the powers in a few sentances. Maby I can turn it into a seperate story altogether later on if I can think up something interesting enough. A Super Hero adventure that takes place in the 1910's :).

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.