PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Filter?

christophersean
02-24-2005, 09:43 PM
Hiya gang! I'm a newbie in the world of After Effects and was looking for some different effects to mess around with. In particular , I was wondering if there were any Cartoon Filters and which would would you recommend?

I've been reading a little about BORIS but not able to discern if it's the only one and what exactly its capabilites are. Any information or guidance would be grealy appreciated.

Christopher

RichardBlank
05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm looking for a Cartoonfilter, please tell me if you find one:)

R

Mylenium
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Not really if you mean it in a sense that it will take any footage and convert it into a comic. Most techniques involve combos of several filters and effects such as Posterize, Threshold and a few others. Boris Cartooner is so-so, if you're looking for a better outline plugin use Image Lounge Border Patrol.

Mylenium

klingspor
05-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Please explain what you expect this "Cartoon filter" to do... cartoon is a whole genre of film and I doubt you expect a filter that covers all areas.

Mylenium
05-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Please explain what you expect this "Cartoon filter" to do... cartoon is a whole genre of film and I doubt you expect a filter that covers all areas.

Hoho, hope Brad Bird never hears about this, it would upset him. Cartoon/ Animation is not a genre, it's a technique (as so well stated in "The Incredibles" director's commentary).

Mylenium

hiphopcr
05-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Take your footage and add a:

Gaussian Blur: 2.3
Contrast: 26
Find Edges: Blend 0%
Saturation: -100
Contrast: 37

Change the blending mode to Linear Burn

Drop down another layer of the same footage underneath it (without any effects, just the source layer) and add a:

Gaussian Blur: 6.8
Channel Combiner: RGB to YUV
Gamma/Pedestal/Gain: Red, Blue, Green Gain 0.5
Gamma/Pedestal/Gain: Red, Blue, Green Gain 2
Channel Combiner: YUV to RGB
Brightness: 21
Posterize: 8

I just threw all these effects with random numbers in very quickly, but that may give you a starting place. Also messing with the channel combiner (like changing it to saturation) will give you interesting results... like I said, this is only a starting point. Good luck!

klingspor
05-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Hoho, hope Brad Bird never hears about this, it would upset him. Cartoon/ Animation is not a genre, it's a technique (as so well stated in "The Incredibles" director's commentary).

Mylenium
Not to take this thread in a totally different direction, but going by dictionary.com's definition, a genre is: "A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content". As such, I'd say one can argue that cartoon is a genre, after all it's characterized by its distinctive style - or is a cartoon that doesn't look like one still a cartoon?

But I do get your point, of course cartoon (as a technique) can be used to portray much more than the classic humorous cartoon.

More on topic, Digital Anarchy has announced a plugin for After Effects simply called Toon! (http://www.digitalanarchy.com/press/press_main.html#toon), to be released in June. But to be honest, the look of their samples leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe that can help the OP.

RichardBlank
05-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Ok I did these pictures some time ago (quite long actually), and then I used Streamline and Illustrator and finnaly PS.
But it would be nice to have this function in AE :)
Lets say you have 2000 frames to go!? Then you do not whant to go thru the procedure above ;)

Mylenium
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
More on topic, Digital Anarchy has announced a plugin for After Effects simply called Toon! (http://www.digitalanarchy.com/press/press_main.html#toon), to be released in June. But to be honest, the look of their samples leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe that can help the OP.

Nope, that will take a while longer (or much longer to be more correct) in regards to what we have heard. There isn't even a working Beta release. Anyway, one shouldn't expect too much - changing the Look & Feel of existing images without manual interventions simply isn't going to yield exciting results. Over the years there have been so many attempts to create painterly effects using filters and they all fail for one reason or another. But having a smarter Posterize could indeed have some useful applications.

Mylenium

koronis
05-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Stay cool :)
Coming really soon and feat looks like really interresting :
http://www.digitalanarchy.com/press/press_main.html#toon

Enjoy

Mylenium
05-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Stay cool :)
Coming really soon and feat looks like really interresting :
http://www.digitalanarchy.com/press/press_main.html#toon

Enjoy

You didn't read my post, did you? The press releases are old and by no means can be considered as valid in terms of the release dates announced therein. And trust me - I know!

Mylenium

mdurwin
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
If you've done it in Photoshop then the process is easy, if labor intensive:
Render your animation as a jpeg sequence, set up an action in Photoshop that gives you the style you're looking for and apply it to the folder you rendered the image sequence to. Then reimport the image sequence into AE to render as a movie clip.

Alternately try rotoscoping.

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 08:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.