PDA

View Full Version : Multiple IK Goal Tutorial Idea...:)

jjburton
09-17-2002, 08:50 PM
LONG VERSION: Hey guys and gals. A couple weeks ago I was in here asking about Spline based IK in Lightwave for a character of mine. Told there wasn't any, I was determined to figure out how to do what I wanted to do some way. One day, I was looking at Dan Albee's CD Content, more namely the wolf rig. He's got a pretty cool rig for the tail with multiple goals and actually bones on top of bones. I spent the next week breaking that apart and trying it with my character. Burning some pretty serious midnight oil, I've come up with a pretty workable solution that works really well for me so far. I'm rendering my first movement test with said character as I type this.

Anyway, since I had such a hard time finding any good info on how to do multiple goal Ik Rigs, I thought I'd do a tutorial. I'm a newbie still (less than 1 year with Lightwave), but maybe that will help me explain it better:). The point of this post is see if any one is interested in a tutorial like this. I'd like to know before I put the time into it.

SHORT VERSION:If you don't want to read all of that mumbo jumbo. Look at the attaced image, would like a tutorial that would teach you how to do something like that?

jjburton
09-17-2002, 08:51 PM
If you check out the animation when I post it. The entire body movement is done with animating 2 bones and a whole lot of followers:).

policarpo
09-17-2002, 09:07 PM
yes
yes
yes

i'm sure Proton would be willing to post it at the Newtek site when you're done with it.

can't wait to see the animation.

-policarpo

Labuzz
09-17-2002, 09:07 PM
let me say that multi goals for IK is not a good solution...with this kind of setting you havnt a solid predictable result and you get some strange behavior ( for example when you have a goal for a knee and the ankle...you move the knee orientation then the feet move ). So 1 goal is good, 2 is useable but not good in my opinion, more goals....not good at all. At this time LW have no pole vector ( for knee and elbow orientation ) and no spline IK ( good for tail, spine )....i think this is a MUST have for LW8.

policarpo
09-17-2002, 09:12 PM
i think he's just animating the tail.

no knees elbows ankles to be found.

maybe it's a good work around.

we'll know as soon as we seen the animation i guess.

:)

-policarpo

jjburton
09-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Policarpo and Labuzz- No, I'm animating the whole body with IK. I'm not sure why you don't want to use more than one or two goals, Labuzz, care to explain why? I've got 10 IK goals in the body righ plus one for each arm and it works fine for me. Thanks. I haven't had any problems at all with the IK and I've posed him is some pretty extreme poses. I can always get him where I want him and I prefer it much more to using FK on all umpteen tail and spine bones. Maybe I'm missing something about what you're trying to say though.

No I don't have any elbow goals and no need of any knee ones...:) I'm using Albees arm rig techique from his book. It works fine for me. I've also got a biped using his technique and I animated a walk with him (sloppy walk, I'm new:)). It's on my site if you want to see that.

Tiko, my character, is pretty much just neck, spine and tail. I agree that Spline IK would be pretty cool to be able to use, but Lightwave is what I've got and I'm conviced that if I can't do something in it, it's my lack of knowledge holding me back. The more I learn, the more I'm amazed at what works with the software.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Frame 162 of 359....:rolleyes:

jjburton
09-17-2002, 10:13 PM
They say a picture's worth a thousand words...how about a video...

Still rendering, but I do have an animatic I saved. Can't get Divx to work with animatics so it's a little big. That being said I zipped it. It's right at 1.5meg.

I was just playing with the hand thing, the point of the exercise was to play with how I want Tiko to move and see if my rig would do the job. Quite a few kinks still, but I wanted to get some feedback.

Like I said earlier. the only things being animated (aside from the hand_trans and roate bones) are the head and the root. All the rest is done with followers.

http://www.jjburtonstudios.com/media/Video/Tiko_Swim.zip

jjburton
09-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Here's the link:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21414

Chewey
09-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Looks pretty good from here.

Why not make the rig without the geometry available for inspection?

(no, I'm not related to Proton. ;> )

proton
09-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Can I get a full tutorial from you for the LW site...I would love to include that and the final animation.....great stuff!

jjburton
09-18-2002, 03:18 AM
Proton- yes. There appears to be at least a little interest so I'll go ahead and commit the time to do it. I start classes tomorrow so it might take a week or two to get knocked out, but I'll try to have something worthwhile for you.

Chewey- Ask and ye shall recieve....It's my content directory structure, minus any geometry:).

The scene in the rig folder doesn't have any of the followers on the nulls, but the swim scene is the exact scene I rendered, minus the geometry. Hope you enjoy:).

proton
09-18-2002, 03:25 AM
You rock! Thanx for the help...I'm sure the community thanx you as well!:buttrock:

Chewey
09-18-2002, 03:40 AM
A big thank you for the nice gesture and interesting setup.

Eugeny
09-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Great idea! :thumbsup:

Many weeks ago i was asking about snake motion... And here is my solution : (attachment))
U need some Musccler plug (from LWHUB.com) installed exactly in the same directory , but if u don't have this just skip him on load scene - this setup will work without muscle bones plug.

jjburton
09-18-2002, 05:04 PM
No problem. Thanks for the interest.

Eugeny- Cool rig. Not sure I follow exactly how it's done. But Cool none the less. Why don't you do a tutorial for it?;)

One quick thing I noticed when looking at it. If you parent the Red Controller Null to the Snake, it'll move with him, that might make it easier to control when you're moving the snake around.

Eugeny
09-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Thanx jjburton :)
Here is original thread of Snake motion (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11787&highlight=snake+motion)
u can find there some explanations about the rig. As for Red Controller null - it's only for generating wave - this rig weary useful for straight snake motion, snake can do up and down, but if u need some mo complicated motion (like rings or turn) it's useless. I stopped to work on this rig because the project was canceled :( may be some time i'll continue...
About tutorial - my biggest problem is my english so i just can't write correctly, also i don't know html, so the only one solution for that (at this moment) is the small workaround tutorials that i do on this forum some times :)

P.S. here is the snake from this project (modelled and textured by Hagar, rigged and rendered by me)

Yiorgz
09-19-2002, 08:37 AM
I'm keen on seeing it !!! Yes .... Please do.

I'm interested in Spline Based IK too... come to think of it .. it all interests me.. one idea often leads to dozens of others and knowledge grows like a tree.. so definately do one...

I'm sure you'll find lots of LW community folk here who (sometimes) may have closed their minds to new ideas - will suddenly go "ahhh wow .. that works ... and you know maybe if you did this and this .. it would be able to that as well..."

You get nothing to lose from sharing your ideas - you can only gain, refine, improve .. !! :-)

It's amazing stuff ... really !!

jjburton
09-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks Yiorgz.

I had a pretty cool idea this morning as a way to make this rig more user friendly, but I'm not sure how to do what I want. If any of you are Lscript gurus and are willing to help out, please let me know. I'd like to make this available with the tutorial.

Thanks again for all the interest.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.