PDA

View Full Version : UK: Friday 25 February "Work your proper hours day".

halo
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
IT workers put in more unpaid overtime than almost any other profession, according to the TUC (Trades Union Congress). The organisation is calling on managers to recognise the extra time their staff puts in, and has declared Friday 25 February "Work your proper hours day".

IT managers work an average of nine hours and 12 minutes per week on top of their official, contracted hours, a new league table reveals. The TUC calculated that if managers did all this unpaid overtime at the start of the year, they wouldn't start to be paid until 8 March. If they were paid for the extra hours, their salaries would increase by more than 10,000.

IT workers don't fare much better, clocking up an average of six hours and six minutes unpaid overtime each week, making 17 February their first paid working day. (Our congratualtions to all of you who started getting paid last week.) All these donated hours are worth more than 5,000 to their employers.

Tech companies also have the greatest proportion of staff working overtime for free. An average of 40 per cent of the workforce, including staff from all departments, puts in extra hours.

The news should come as some consolation to managers worried that IT staff spend too much time sending personal emails.

Brendan Barber, TUC general secretary, argues that many companies would collapse without the extra time put in by staff. Although most people are happy to put in the time when it is needed, in emergencies, or in the run up to a deadline, it can easily get taken for granted, and be built into the expected working week, he warned.

"Work Your Proper Hours Day is a once a year opportunity for bosses to say thank you to their staff for their extra work, and for employees to remind themselves just how much extra time they would have if they did go home on time every day," he said.

Tech staff are not alone in their dedication to duty: teachers work more than 11 hours unpaid overtime each week, and those in public service roles, like the armed forces, fire brigade or ambulance staff, put almost ten extra hours each week.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/24/it_workers_tuc/

Ironicly, the website for the drive is down...and they've chosen very day that quite a few people go home on time or knock of early or have a longer than usual lunchbreak of the liquid variety. :banghead:

Still its the thought that counts :)

Neil
02-24-2005, 09:39 PM
In my past company the IT guys did a lot of walking around joking and coffee sipping though. The hard times come when something crashes, but when things are good, their job is pretty easy :) Don't flame me if you're IT, but that's from what I have seen.

halo
02-24-2005, 10:05 PM
dont worry, i'm not, (well i have to fix my own machines...) but i thought it may be of interest considering the other news recently about overtime.

mattmos
02-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Well being in work (again) at past 10pm unpaid, I think I will be leaving promptly tomorrow...

Ironicly, the website for the drive is down...and they've chosen very day that quite a few people go home on time or knock of early or have a longer than usual lunchbreak of the liquid variety. :banghead:

Still its the thought that counts :)

Agreed! Couldn't they make this a monday? ;)

pthomas72
02-24-2005, 10:15 PM
ten extra hours a week... :rolleyes:
Is this a joke?

Jhonus
02-25-2005, 12:03 AM
"Work Your Proper Hours Day is a once a year opportunity for bosses to say thank you to their staff for their extra work

being given one day of normal hours is a good way to say thankyou????

vrf
02-25-2005, 12:23 AM
In my past company the IT guys did a lot of walking around joking and coffee sipping though. The hard times come when something crashes, but when things are good, their job is pretty easy :) Don't flame me if you're IT, but that's from what I have seen.

This is exactly what I've seen, too, I'm afraid. Lots of net surfin' and coffee sippin for those boys.

dotTom
02-25-2005, 05:44 AM
This is exactly what I've seen, too, I'm afraid. Lots of net surfin' and coffee sippin for those boys.

Yeah, well that's IT as in "support". The hours in "development" are different. As a industry the window between crunch times has been shinking ever since the .COM crash. In development the average in my neck of the woods seems to be about 60 hours a week, going up to 72+ in the weeks approaching a release. The problem in IT (I'm sure this is true for other industries) is that 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the workforce, I know that sounds trite and cliched but its true.

gristle
02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Ironic how I am reading this at work, on the 25th - I came in early?!?

playmesumch00ns
02-25-2005, 12:54 PM
What are "proper hours" anyway?

Can't wait for those 100 hour weeks to start again...

baaah888
02-25-2005, 01:20 PM
hang on.... IT managers work longer hours than IT workers. ... erm not anywhere ive worked. the grunts do the overtime the managers have their cushy offices and seem to do F all, the only reason they "appear" to do more time is cause they have to sit their till you go home to make sure your working.

Gentle Fury
02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
ten extra hours a week... :rolleyes:
Is this a joke?

You must also be from the states as thats exactly what I was thinking......anyone in production or IT in UK try it in the US and see how you feel about 20 hours xtra. ;)

playmesumch00ns
02-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Well if you want a "I'm more exploited" battle, try working in production in London and working an extra 40 hours a week :)

pseudoE
02-25-2005, 04:42 PM

You're kidding, right? NO JOB IS WORTH 100HRS of my time a week. No way, no how. Not even 72 for that matter. I'd rather live under the overpass.

e.

MartinGFoster
02-25-2005, 09:15 PM

do you get paid OT for those 100 hours? Good grief, if not, or even if so, remind me never to have any aspirations to work in VFX in London. When do you ever see family, wife, kids, friends?

I work 40 hours normally and, occasionally, have to go to 50-70 for a few weeks to meet delivery schedules, which I dislike intensely despite getting generous OT pay. I just have other things in my life to experience and enjoy besides work.

Interestingly, most of the big studios in LA seem to be standardizing on a 40 hour week. Before it was more typically 50 hours (with 10 hours OT pay) automatically when booked to a show from day 1. This makes sense because shows are getting longer and skills more important and major burnout and people leaving the business has been a problem.

Neil
02-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Was 100 hours an exaggerated number or were you serious?

playmesumch00ns
02-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah you gotta be tough!

100 hours week may be a bit over the top, I was joking ;) I've maybe done that twice (but I know people who do that regularly). I work several 90-hour weeks at crunch time last project. Although that was by all accounts was a very bad one. I seem to have a habit of picking difficult projects :)

I've been working 60 hours a week (i.e. 10 hours a day, 6 days a week) for the past four weeks, and probably will till this project finishes come May. In fact the last couple of weeks will probably be 14 hours a day, 6 days a week so that's 80-90 hours.

And I get paid by the day so no overtime (which is why it's better to split the work over 6 days rather than 5 = more ca$h).

I don't strictly need to work the 6 days, but I find it means I am far less stressed during the week; and can actually leave work by 7pm and go home and see my girlfriend, who is very understanding and I love her very much :).

I'm kinda doing 2 people's jobs at the moment: I'm doing development for the sequence I'm working on (i.e. shaders, lighting and rendering tools, looking after td's), as well as lighting shots. Well, one shot, but it's full cg and that's enough! Will probably get a couple more as we move toward deadline. I think I might need to negotiate myself a better deal...

Seriously though, I don't see myself working like this forever. I'm pretty green (this is my second film) and I'm still learning a lot and loving every minute of it. I'm determined not to get jaded so I think I might take a step back after this film and take it easier on myself. Don't want to have a heart attack before I'm thirty :)

Martin: VFX in London can be tough, but it's a great atmosphere. I love it. Just gotta get some sleep and I'll be fine :)

Bloody hell, pouring my heart out on a saturday! Back to work!

EDIT: I feel I should clarify that I'm not contractually obliged to work the hours I do. Most people here work 50 hours a week.

EDIT2: Bloody hell! Look at all those smileys!

Andrew W
02-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Bloody hell, pouring my heart out on a saturday! Back to work!

Steady on old man. Stiff upper lip and all that rot...

Yes I too am here on a Saturday. Unlike playmesumch00ns I don't get paid by the day, nor do I get overtime. There isn't a cat in hell's chance of working a 40 week in features in London. It just doesn't happen (leastways I've never seen it). This film industry lark is very glamourous you know...

As Kurtis Blow said "Those are the breaks"...

A

MartinGFoster
02-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm kinda doing 2 people's jobs at the moment: I'm doing development for the sequence I'm working on (i.e. shaders, lighting and rendering tools, looking after td's), as well as lighting shots. Well, one shot, but it's full cg and that's enough! Will probably get a couple more as we move toward deadline. I think I might need to negotiate myself a better deal...
[/b]

move to LA :)

RenderMan shader writers with verifiable film credits and demonstrable skill get treated like gods here. The supply / demand situation for that position is highly favourable to them. Not so good for compositors / lighters/ animators.

playmesumch00ns
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
That's it! I'm packing me bags as we speak! Just got to finish this damn film first...

slaughters
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
In my past company the IT guys did a lot of walking around joking and coffee sipping though. The hard times come when something crashes, but when things are good, their job is pretty easy :) Don't flame me if you're IT, but that's from what I have seen.IT non-support typically work 50-60 hours a week in the States with occasional 80 hour weeks thrown in toward the end of particularly large projects. We do not get paid hourly. We do not get paid "overtime".

BUT on the bight side we do get free coffee ! (so we can sip it as we walk around and joke)

Hugh
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
palymesumch00ns: Only 2 jobs? Bah... slacker.... I'm officially doing 3 jobs at the moment..... (2D support for the job, 2D pipeline development for the company and roto/prep for the job....)

I am still, however, managing to do less hours than you...... (this is a GOOD thing....)

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.