PDA

View Full Version : starting to make films......

snoogums
02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey,

im a student studying an nd:moving image course at the moment, the course ends in june and after that me and a friend, dave beuttler, are hoping to get into making short films, the thing is, we've only been learning how to make the films i.e.from script through to filming and editing, and don't have any real idea where to start or get into the project(:eek: ), we know what equipment we need so thats no problem but i was wondering if any1 had any film festivals or anything that we could go to and get ourselves started on the project?:shrug:

Thanks, chris :)

scotttygett
03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Snoogums, please rephrase this and ask it again.

If you're asking how to write a story, I just had an ear-bender with a highly gifted completely unappreciated dramaturge named Roger Olson who is fond of making connections between Hemingway and Longfellow and insisted Ring Lardner's "Haircut" had classical undertones that make the innovative narrator's voice a transcendental thing and the brief short story as layered as anything with "Call me Ishmael " in it.

That's a crazy kind of logic when you're exposed to it the first time, the idea of a thing like a short story having elements of transcendental opera by Richard Wagner.

Googling Lardner, I discovered he claimed to sometimes write a short story by filling in the space left on a page with a story after randomly writing some words. That was very do-able with a typewriter, I suppose.

I could be wrong, but Errol Stanley Gardner seems to do something similar, though I can't prove it.

My own approach is to use the Golden Rule and pray a lot before starting, and love my audience so that I would try to never waste a minute of their time, and then to take prayer breaks when I bog down. My take on the whole art and literature thing is to resort to the scientific method -- if the audience is smarter, richer, healthier and better after your "entertainment," then you did good.

cg_davinci
03-06-2005, 02:06 AM
...I think he may be asking about the business aspect of the process since he mentioned his course covered scripts. However, I'm not sure.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2005, 02:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.