PDA

View Full Version : Blending with Dinosaurs - Environment test

env
02-24-2005, 09:50 AM
http://www.enricovalenza.com/BlendwDino/alloenv.jpg

A first test for the environment, mainly made with camera mapped matte paintings:

http://www.enricovalenza.com/BlendwDino/alloenv.mpg (3.090 kb)

The trees are still on one single plane, they need to be dislocated for different distances; still lack little plants (ferns) in the closer foreground and the distant background is still in wip.
I'll try to add the dust with particles and pterodactylus flying in the sky.

C&S welcome. :)

EnV

rollmops
02-24-2005, 10:44 AM
First impression : that looks great! :thumbsup:

Second : something can be enhanced.
Avoid to blur the live background, it can reduce the scale of the hole scene.
If you do want it, make it progressiv from right (min) to left (max).
Animation on the neck is nice. But the way the feets tuch the ground is quite hard. I mean, such a heavy beast should walk more "round".

The foreground is really cool!

Anyway critics are allways easy. Don't worry about me!

SamB
02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
hello env !

Love your work on this project !

The animation is great, dino's textures are maybe a bit flashy but I'vn't any real references.

Like rollmops, i think the foreground is just perfect. For the background you can try to reduce the filter value in texture panel.

env
02-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for answering.

rollmops: thanks for the tip about the background, I'll try to replace it with a non-blurred one.
The animation has some problem, due for the most to location constrains for the feet, going to fix them. But I'll try also a more "round" walk, if I correctly understand the term.
SamB: it's not a filter question, it's an already blurred matte painting.:)
Going to fix the sunlight color too, too yellowish on the dinosaur.

EnV

Throst
02-26-2005, 07:48 AM
I dont know what that filter value thing meant but i thought it was awsome, when i watched it first i hadnt read anything cuz im laxy, but i just assumed you were comping a dino with a video. upon closer inspection the only thing i saw about the background that could be improved in my humble opinion is at the end of the clip there are trees behind the dino that has a kind of blue fuzz, presumably the sky behind the trees, but it just doesnt look quite right. as for the dino animation, the legs seem to jitter, they have a lot of weight so they should have quite a bit of slow in and out, they seem to stop farily abruptly. Also the neck should have a more birdlike motion that involves the whole neck instead of just the secondary motion of the stepping. hope this helps.

Obraxis
02-26-2005, 10:00 AM
First thing that I noticed was the lighting. it's not quite there yet - close, but not quite there.

Second thing I noticed was a walk-cycle error with his right leg. It seems to jerk around a fair bit and in general the walk is very pose-to-pose or robotic. He could do with loosening up a bit.

env
02-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Throst: yes, the blue fuzz in the trees is a remain of the uncomplited images separation for the alpha channel, I will remove it.
Obraxis: the light is to be fixed (the color is wrong, too yellow).

About the animation, I agree it must be improved with the addition of other actions. BTW, it's almost the same walkcycle you can see here: http://www.enricovalenza.com/animallowalk.html or here: http://www.enricovalenza.com/animalloturn.html or here: http://www.enricovalenza.com/animnla2.html and that I already posted here on CGTalk (but can't find the thread anymore). So I'm a little confused about this, but maybe that seen inside an environment it shows several errors invisible against a black background.:)

EnV

env
03-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Updated with a (hopefully) better test; still not perfect, anyway, but remade the animation, the dino shader, the background, fixed the light color, added dust and pterodactylus in the sky. The link is always the first post one.

Thanks all for the critics and suggestions.:)

EnV

AIR
03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi man,I like what u did with that background,very nice.I'v seen your animation,walkcycle of allossaurus,think is great.U are doing some project or what.Im interessed in dinosaurs.
Recently I posted "Brothers in blood" scenewith two dinosaurs,i also intend to make short animation.
Would like to chat with u about the riging of muscles,,that jiggly stuf when it walks...
This is my B I B scene with two Carnotaur's.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215933&highlight=dinosaur

env
03-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi AIR, I saw your carnosaurs image, very beautiful! I especially like the textures.
My scene is a test for a short animation in progress, "Blending with Dinosaurs".
About the chat, if you wish you can email me.
Regards

EnV

joel3d
03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
This is coming along nicely.

Very good modeling, textures, lighting, even camera (DOF) etc. However, I think the animation is quite stiff. it isn't moving in a natural way, looks like a robot. I don't know how Blender is to work with but with most software you should be able to edit the animation curves...smooth out the tangents.

I wonder are you getting any support from that company? They should! Since you so strongly endorse their product. You are doing a great job! I have been watching this Dinosaur project for awhile, and I can appreciate the amount of work and talent that you have put into this.

env
03-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi joel3d.
Thanks for your comments. :) You are absolutely right about the animation, I'm redoing it totally from skratch (btw, Blender acts in animation just like most softwares, the most of blame for robotic movements on me :banghead: and a bit on Blender Constrains).
With "that company" you mean Framestore? No, but I haven't contacted them yet, and don't know if to do this... maybe when the project will be at a further stage I'll send them a link (honestly I don't know how much they could be interested in this).
Thanks again for your words. And what about your t-rex?

EnV

joel3d
03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I have the same trouble with my animation, the rig gets in the way. I rebuilt it several times and its still not right. (Maya BTW)

No actually, I meant the software company that makes Blender. They owe you a favor.

I am getting back to work on my T.rex, too many distractions the past few weeks.

coolwizj
03-08-2005, 07:29 AM
Awesome work!:bounce: :applause: :bounce: :thumbsup: I've been working with Blender for a long time. But I'm not even close to that good. :eek:

Well, there is one thing that I would like to know....:D

1: How do you do get the eyes and eyelids all set to start animating? (be very descriptive)

- Ian Swanson - VFX Artist:wavey:

env
03-08-2005, 08:51 AM
joel3d, actually I owe a favor to the Blender Foundation, it has since a couple of years that they develop for free my favourite 3d application!
Maya, I've the PLE but still haven't got the time to study it.

coolwizj, thanks. I'm not a native english speaker, so could you explain better what do you mean with "How do you do get the eyes and eyelids all set to start animating"?

EnV

coolwizj
03-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Eyes: What do you do? Do you parent the eye to an empty? Then you animate the position of the empty?

eyelids: for example, on your "Grokky" character, what did you do for the eyelids? Did you parent half of a sphere to an empty? or what? Do you think you could make a quick character that's all rigged and ready to animate, and send the blend file to me? That would answer alot of my questions.

- Ian

env
03-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Ah, yes, the eyes are parented to the armature, and have a track constrain to animated empties (parented to the armature head bone too, to follow the head turns).
The eyelids are parented to armature's bones, also in the "Grokky" character, just as any other mesh part (but in the "Grokky" model they are separate hemispheres).
About the rigged character, someone (I don't remember who) made one at disposal on ElYsiun, my rigging are not so different.:)

EnV

env
03-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Updated the animation again. This time the allosaurus movement should be improved, I totally remade the walkcycle with a more "natural" one.

http://www.enricovalenza.com/BlendwDino/alloenv.mpg

I consider this one the last test version, I'm going to try a more complex one (real camera mapping on modelled 3d objects, more than one dino and moving tree branches in the wind).

Thanks all for critics and suggestion, really useful (as always on this wonderful site:) ).

EnV

jamagica
03-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Did you add any filmgrain effect to the CG part?? If you did it'd blend in much more

env
05-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Ah, that's all cg. Actually, I could add a film grain effect to the whole. Thanks for the suggestion.

EnV

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2005, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.