PDA

View Full Version : IK handle advanced twist options?

seven6ty
02-24-2005, 03:14 AM
Anybody know how to use these???

Once you create an ik handle, you can open up the attribute editor and there's a section for "advanced twist options", with a lot of options similar to the aimConstraint, anyone know how these work or anything? I thought they might be used to fine tune the twist control that you can use, but I couldn't notice much of a difference.

seven6ty
02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Wow, nobody???

M.E.L.
02-25-2005, 05:57 PM
The advanced twist controls function almost exactly how they are named in the list :)

Scene Up: gives you the twist based on the world up vector.

Object Up: gives you the twist based off a control objects up vector

Object Up Start/End: gives you the twist based along the start and end point of 2 control objects up vectors

Object Rotation Up: gives you the twist based off the upvector rotation based off the orientation of your control object (whichever axis is your up axis)

Object Rotation Start/End: again, twist based off 2 control objects at a start and end point.

Vector: works much the same as a pole vector does by constraining the axes to a control object and offsetting the twist that way.

Vector Start/End: 2 object pole vector style twist for controller top twist and bottom twist

Relative: twist relative to the orientation of the spine (this one never seems to actually function right for me whenever testing stuff)

Your World Up Objects are your up vector controls...be it cubes, spheres, locators etc.

Twist Value Type gives you the options of Total, which is often used with the World Up Objects to collect the sum of the values to bias the twist top and bottom. Start/End will again control the start/end twist which can be offset by a multiplication factor in the Start/End Twist fields. The last one is the Ramp feature which will bias the twist based off of a ramp texture (i just use alpha values of black and white for this, some people use RGB).

Enjoy :D

seven6ty
02-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Hmm, yeah, I got what each of the options refers to and all of that, and I've seen how it works on a Spline IK chain, I'm just not really having much luck understanding how it works on a regular rpIKhandle type of setups. Hmm, I'll have to check it out some more possibly...

I was just curious because it seems like you could begin to use this instead of a pole vector constraint target, but I wasn't having much luck getting it to operate properly in this fashion.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.