PDA

View Full Version : They Have And We Dont!!!!!!

marioucci
09-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Hello wavers,

i've been max for a while now, also takin a look at maya from time to time and modeling in wings a lot!!!
Heres what i found out they have and we dont:

modeler:

they can edit lights when modeling, we dont.

they can animate almost all modeling parameters easily, we dont

the can bevel and extrude edges and points, we dont

they have a trully functional virtual mirror(lws simmetry sucks!!!!!! thank you cman for fix simmetry) with a sillouette view when disable the VM(wings), we dont.

they have NURBS(also able to convert poly meshes to nurbs), DOO-SABIN options, we dont

layout:

they have spline ik, we dont

they have a decent dope sheet, we dont

they have hierarchical view of texture layers, we dont

they have lattice animation, we dont

they have fast IK setup, we dont (thanks cim for fast ik script)

thats what i can remember right now.
This is not a complain bout lw. the inverse list is also extense and im pretty happy with lw.
this is just a heads up that might give NT or script developers some inspiration for new stuff...:):):)
would like to hear ur lists too:)
cheers.

loggie!

Ed Bittner
09-17-2002, 03:40 PM
Maya's got a $7,000 price tag, we don't.
Ed

CIM
09-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Maya also has a bad renderer and nothing-special modeling tools, and we don't.

All programs have strengths and weaknesses. If you can, use the ones that get the job done for you.

leigh
09-17-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by loganarts

What about edgetools and extender?

We have Lightwave, they don't :D

Valkyrien
09-17-2002, 04:08 PM
damn straight Leigh!

:beer:

Facial Deluxe
09-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Well, I wouldn't mind having the missing features described above.
I loose a lot of time using tricks to compensate, while I know the needed function exist since ages in other apps.
The simple fact of beeing able to generate geometry in Layout miss a lot IMHO.

Meshbuilder
09-17-2002, 04:36 PM
WE can remodeled our objects at any time without ****ing up or losing Weightmaps or Endomorfs, they canīt...

WE can make changes to the curves in grapheditor in realtime while the scene being played, they canīt..

We can share Weightmaps to more than one bone, they canīt..

THEY have a interface thatīs looks like a Office, WE donīt...

I love Lightwave and beer, as many others :beer:

marioucci
09-17-2002, 05:52 PM
dont miss my point folks.

i want to improve lightwave.
the day NT says "ok lw is good enough i dont need anything else anymore" they are screwed.

im just pointing the stuff id like to see in it.

and yes, lw has a lot of cool stuff already.
cheers

btw, im a lightwaver im on ur side:):):)

Eugeny
09-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Man i worked on Max almost one year and i know pretty clear that stuff we have and that stuff we don't...
U know in XSI u have build in browser...
... and WinFax can send faxes...
Just relax, open LW and make some killer stuff :thumbsup:
Hope in ver 8 we get lot of improvements.

Lizard Head
09-17-2002, 07:00 PM
>>>WE can make changes to the curves in grapheditor in realtime while the scene being played, they canīt..<<<

>>>We can share Weightmaps to more than one bone, they canīt..<<<

MAX does these things

BUT,so what, you can't deny LW history and it has proven itself, far back even before it had all the kewl tools it has now!!! look at what was done with version 4 and version 5,, the animators had primitive tools compared to the toolset now, but they did it, they made do, yea these things would make life easier, but still, you have a toolset in Lightwave that if learned properly can do anything you want it to do. Just have fun!!!!!!

Adios
Lizard*

takkun
09-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Loganarts, you're posting this in the wrong place.

go to http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/48.html?1032292208

that's the official Newtek Feature Request Board.

meloncully
09-17-2002, 08:52 PM
IIRC maya has only a 2k price tag

marioucci
09-17-2002, 08:58 PM
WOW ure angry lol...

i aint a passive artist using whatever they get me.... too bad i cant programm....
this thread was just a chat bout artists tools we could use....
liek when i was a oil on canvas painter.. i used to discuss why winsor & newton, WINTON series was cheaper and didnt work as good as W&N profesional series....
and what kind of brush is the best for what use.....
i used to have a color of paint from a lot of different brands cos the cerulean blue from W&N is great but niquel yellow is better from rembrandt series.

peace.
loggie

wgreenlee1
09-17-2002, 10:33 PM
MUHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

Of all the apps I think Lightwavers are the most fanatical types,I know I am.

We have the most complete answer to CG in one package under $1500,they dont and the ones below have a long way to even come close except C4D7 .

:shame: ;) Loggie,you know how to start a fire bud!:drool:

takkun
09-17-2002, 11:03 PM
AAAhhhhhh, I kinda miss oil painting (and acrylic), but Corel Painter is a lot less messy and has a better undo system then the old way (i.e. wipe the canvas with a rag before the paint dries).

Fuzer
09-17-2002, 11:09 PM
hehe :p Yeah.
I think it is easy to become a little hyper-sensitive when you are in love with LightWave (myself included). But I don't think Loggie was trying to say anything negative about LightWave. Just pointing out some things he has discovered that we could all benefit from if they were added to LWave.

I have been playing with Wings lately myself, and there are some things it can do that I wish Modeler could do. There is no chance I will give up LightWave's modeler. It is still more powerful, versatile, and developed. But I will be using Wings for some things. Doesn't mean I like LightWave any less :shrug:

Chewey
09-17-2002, 11:10 PM
When I really , really need those features not found in Lightwave, I do the unthinkable...

I merely use those other aps.

How often does this occur?

Not very.

What's all the fuss about, eh?

;>

policarpo
09-17-2002, 11:48 PM
i personally like InDeva3D v9.5 by Miraboon Software in Japan.

it has this great feature in it that makes maya and soft pale in comparison. it has an instant art button. it also has the ability to create anything and everything my little brain can think of.

i use it all the time. i highly recommend it to everyone.

:airguitar

alaklij
09-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Hello wavers,

modeler:

they have a trully functional virtual mirror(lws simmetry sucks!!!!!! thank you cman for fix simmetry) with a sillouette view when disable the VM(wings), we dont.

Extender tool, under the multiply tab, extrude points

I find Symmetry to be extremly powerful. Combined with four basic tools. Move, Smooth Shift, Size, and Drag. I can make anything very quickly.

I would be nice to animate all modeling components.

My Fault
09-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Wow, amazing how many people totally missed his point eh? I thought Animation Master users were zealots but you guys make them seem like pikers. He never said Lightwave was bad, he was just mentioning things that he liked in other apps and in his opinion would be nice to have in Lightwave.

It's just a freakin 3d app people, lighten up a bit. :beer:

policarpo
09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
i think we all just need to relax and do the following:

1. go to art school
2. go to graphic design school
3. write poetry
4. write short stories
5. study art history
6. study philosophy
7. study religion
8. eat sushi
9. bathe regularly
10. enjoy a good glass of wine or beer
11. create beauty

:)

My Fault
09-18-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm doing number 8 right now. You should also add

12. Read Strong Bad Email

:applause:

visualboo
09-18-2002, 04:52 PM
I just laugh at the fact that you guys get all defensive :D haha...

I got you're point Mario. Rock on :buttrock:
btw, where the heck have you been? I kinda miss talkin to ya :beer:

NanoGator
09-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Okay, I'll settle this once and for all:

Maya users, get into one line. LW users, get into another line facing the Maya users. You all drop your pants, I'll get a ruler, and the results will be in shortly. Somebody fireup Excel!

visualboo
09-18-2002, 05:25 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA LMAO

Lizard Head
09-18-2002, 05:29 PM
>>>8. eat sushi <<<<< WHY??? People still eat that garbage?

>>>10. enjoy a good glass of wine or beer<<<..... Now your talking!!!

The Rest...

1. go to art school........Been There Done That
2. go to graphic design school......Been There Done That
3. write poetry.....Been There Done That
4. write short stories......Been There Done That
5. study art history......Been There Done That
6. study philosophy.....Yawn
7. study religion.......Did that for far too long

9. bathe regularly......Is It a holiday???

11. create beauty.......I'll settle for slighty not bad looking

Mike RB
09-18-2002, 05:31 PM
sushi good

isnowboard
09-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Hai.

takkun
09-18-2002, 06:55 PM
I think all of the 14,302 people on this board are 3d zealots and fanatics. If you weren't deeply interested in 3d then you'd probably be doing something else right now instead of reading this forum.

and sushi + wasabi + saki = good

Lizard Head
09-18-2002, 07:15 PM
If it says "MOO" ,, Just knock the horns off and serve it up hot with a beer!!!

What is wasabi ??

Pardon the ignorance, Im from the desert southwest here, we got Black Angus, Coors, Tequilla, and all the salsa you'd care to dip your chip into. Ain't never heard a no wasabi :)

policarpo
09-18-2002, 07:17 PM
wasabi is the green Horse radish you place on your sushi that gives it a real KICK!

Tottebias
09-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Yummy, just ate a 12 piece sushi meal. Even had to buy some of that wasabi powder so I can make my own green goo when I get the urge.

Lizard Head
09-18-2002, 07:21 PM
well shut my' mouth!

I didnt know that.....I just pour A1 sauce over most everything I eat..swaller some beer,, and get back to lightwave.

ever model something after like a few beers??

My Fault
09-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Wait, there are people that model something without drinking a beer??!!?? That's just wrong :beer:

Tottebias
09-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Ever tried to model something after a bottle of red wine? That hurts!

Eugeny
09-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Yea wasabi is rock!
Also i mast say that "MOO" with beer and LightWave are going good both.
Ever tried to model something after a bottle of red wine? That hurts!
Heh i make a rig after half bottle of vodka and kilo of MOO :beer: :eek: :argh: :arteest: :xtreme:

Chewey
09-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Now you understand why that Lightwave cow is so popular!

wgreenlee1
09-18-2002, 11:57 PM
hehehehehe...........

Bath regularly?????????whats' bath' mean?:eek:

isnowboard
09-19-2002, 01:53 AM
They have a higher price tag.

We have "they are under contract to develop Lightwave" and "NewTek, Inc., and only NewTek, is the sole developer and marketer and has exclusive rights to LightWave 3D and any derivative products. Development is strictly under NewTek's direction and control. No other company is authorized to develop LightWave or develop derivative products, and NewTek has no intention of so authorizing."

Ed Lee
09-19-2002, 07:22 AM
i used to have a color of paint from a lot of different brands cos the cerulean blue from W&N is great but niquel yellow is better from rembrandt series.

Wow, I'm surprised that someone knows this. Cadmium yellow and Cadmium orange by Rembrandt brand rulez. Thalo blue by W&N is awesome.

Ed--

www.edleeart.com

minus
09-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Wasabi is the quickest way to ruin sushi, blech!
Just give me an octopus arm... and I'll go to town... none of that green stuff for me...

mmmm sashimi.

Chewey
09-19-2002, 05:08 PM
sashimi.

LyonHaert
09-19-2002, 05:56 PM
6. Study philosophy

philosophy isn't something you study, it's something you do :)

Per-Anders
09-19-2002, 06:09 PM
are we talking oil, acrylic, watercolour or guache here? for acrylic for some reason i rather like liquitex... watercolour and guache... go for the russian brands where they've still not banned real cadmium (so you get the real thing rather than dye)... oil...darn if only i could remember this company in the north of england used to do huge tubs of the stuff for virtually nothing, not bad consistency or pigment levels either... darn will have to get back to you on that one.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.