PDA

View Full Version : Rendering & Compositing for Film

altruizine
02-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Hey folks,

So, I've got a project coming up where the final destination for the animation will be on film. My history so far has been delivering for video or HD. If you have delivered for film before, what kinds of things do I need to keep in mind - what kind of tips do you have?

Will I need to render in 16bit? What about converting to a specific color space? Should I over saturate my colors?

Basically, what in your exerience has yeilded the best results?

Thanks in advance!

-JF

blender
02-24-2005, 02:53 AM
light and render in linear color space (though this actually depends on your production needs, and whether or not you will be comping with a live plate)
render to floats (especially if you render into passes) @ 2K (2048x1556)

you'll find that rendering elements at 2K is a lot less forgiving than rendering to NTSC rez., so pay close attention to texture resolutions and aliasing noise.

there are too many other small things to mention which you'll discover very quickly after rendering an element or two.

cheers

beaker
02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I find rendering to float is overkill for full cgi images, 16 bit is fine. I only see it usefull for visualfx where you have sharp highlights and your motion bluring things. Even with that half the time I only render 8 bit.

blender
02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
beaker..

yea, i absolutely agree...
i assumed the rendering WAS for visual FX. silly me :cool:

hey! where abouts in Marina Del Rey are you? that's where i am too +__+

beaker
02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Yea, I was just pointing out that if it is full cgi and even with some vfx it is a waste to do float. It really just depends the shot/situation.

blender: I live at the corner of Lincoln and Marina Pointe/Maxella(right next the where the 90 starts).

blender
02-25-2005, 01:59 AM
ahh.. great to see another LA homie 'round here..
i'm right off of Via Marina. over by the canals..

and yea.. agree on the float rendering again.. all depends on the pipeline and the needs of a particular shot.. most of the time 16 bit will do, but some pipelines are built entirely in float space.

cheers

WhiteRabbitObj
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM
You poor guys living in Marina Del Ray. The traffic there in the mornings is worse anything else I've encountered in L.A. Of course, it's a darned nice area for the most part too.

Jackdeth
02-25-2005, 06:33 AM
blender: I live at the corner of Lincoln and Marina Pointe/Maxella(right next the where the 90 starts).

Where do you live? I live at the same exact address. I'm in the Regatta building right behind the Ralphs.

p.s. Float is overkill for most things. We've wirtten a LOG shader for MR which is really pimp.

beaker
02-25-2005, 07:33 AM
I wish I had the credit for a million dollar condo in the Regatta. :) Maybe in a few years. I'm in the Marina Pointe apartments at the base of the Regatta.

Jackdeath: why do you write log files out of MR? I'm lost at what the advantage to that is. Especially these days with many(most?) moving to linear half float EXR from the film lab to the in house pipeline.

blender
02-25-2005, 07:53 AM
haha.. jackdeth.. those must be some nice digs in that Regatta bldg. :)
concerning the LOG shader.. that is quite pimp indeed, i wouldn't mind checking that out sometime

a lot of compositors still prefer to comp in log space.
i am not one, but little compositing that i do, i find a lot easier to do in log.

beaker
02-25-2005, 10:07 AM
I forgot that they comp all on Inferno's over at the H. So making MR output log files lets them work with all their cineon scans without having to linearize the files therefore not clipping any information out since Inferno doesn't do float. Makes perfect sense for their pipeline.

Jackdeth
02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
The other cool thing is that you can make a "head-room" linear render as well so that the white aren't blown out for video/HD renders. Even at 32-bit float, things can be clipped out and ulgy.

Hmmmmm, because our shader can work at 32bit too, so that means I can have a 32 bit-LOG-Float file.... which could be the biggest case of overkill ever!

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.