PDA

View Full Version : ATI to Demo World’s First Gaming Graphics Cards with 512MB Memory

RobertoOrtiz
02-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Quote:
"ATI Technologies, the world’s largest supplier of graphics and multimedia processors, said Wednesday it would demonstrate its graphics cards with 512MB of onboard memory this week. The 512MB frame-buffer may provide breakthrough performance for future games. The exclusive presentation will take place at the Texas Gaming Festival in Dallas, February 25th to 27th, 2004."

>>Link<< (http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050223104659.html)

-R

Cephalic Internecion
02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
ohhh yes! i have been waiting for this... thanks for the link. cant wait to see nvidias comeback product. when do you think these will be available for purchase? i actually thought they would come sooner than this.

Hazdaz
02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
512MB for a video card?!?

WHY?

I don't play PC games, but honestly isn't having more video memory than most people have main system RAM kind of overkill?
Give me a faster GPU, but more video RAM sounds pointless to me.

ElectroLux
02-24-2005, 01:42 AM

WHY?

I don't play PC games, but honestly isn't having more video memory than most people have main system RAM kind of overkill?

People who buy these cards already have 2-4Gb main memory, so 512Mb video card memory is not that big of a deal. These hardcore pioneers make way for us less high tech gamers, because game developers start to use even higher quality textures, better AA ect ect. By the time games are ready, high end cards are budget cards and everyone is happy.

Gentle Fury
02-24-2005, 01:45 AM

WHY?

You don't play PC games, so you don't understand....the more texture memory, the higher res texture you can use.

Doom 3 requires 512 video mem to run at its full spec.

This will also speed up workflow in 3D apps.....as more texture memory means higher res display capability in the view window.

btw, most workstations have a 1gb system ram and up......what kinda comp are you working on?

Hazdaz
02-24-2005, 02:03 AM
most workstations have a 1gb system ram and up......what kinda comp are you working on?
Who said anything about 'workstations'?? I specificlaly said "most people" cuz the average computer sure as heck doesn't have a GB of RAM - let alone 2+ GBs. Hell, I am amazed that there are still people out there that run their PCs with only 256MBs of RAM!

Either way, I usually am all for the advancement of technology, but in this case I see it as nothing more than just a marketing gimmick... "bigger number on box, means more $$$ for us".

If that card sounds good for your gaming, then by all means, buy it - like ELECTROLUX mentioned, the sooner the 'early adopters' buy these cards and pay for the early development, the sooner these same cards hit the bargain bin at the local computer store.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, are there ANY PCs out there that can even play DOOM3 at full tilt?? I'm talking about 1600x1200x32-bit rez and AA, all options on, surround sound and all the other bells and whistles turned up. Would even a top of the line Athlon64 or Dual Opteron be able to run it at a decent clip?

Cephalic Internecion
02-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Oh, and just out of curiosity, are there ANY PCs out there that can even play DOOM3 at full tilt?? I'm talking about 1600x1200x32-bit rez and AA, all options on, surround sound and all the other bells and whistles turned up. Would even a top of the line Athlon64 or Dual Opteron be able to run it at a decent clip?
overclocked 6800 ultras with fx53s chips and solid ram can get a good 40 fps in the doom 3 time demo @ 1600x1200x32 with 4xaa/8xaf.

nononowhatisyourname!?
02-24-2005, 03:42 AM
February 2004....wasnt that a while ago? ;)

Anyways, i can't wait for this...i am one of those people that loves video games, and i really have been holding off on buying a new computer cause i knew 512mb video cards werent that far around the corner.

Don Kayote
02-24-2005, 05:06 AM
Gainward has announce a Nvidia 6800 Ultra with 512mb. - I.Q 120

It has SLi with it. - I.Q 90

1 Gb Goooood - I.Q 5

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21408

Para
02-24-2005, 09:14 AM
In related news ATI has also some kind of a killer card in the works. On a well-known GPU reviewing internet site's board there's been odd threads popping up lately, namely these two:
"Prototype testing": http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=68684&page=1&pp=15

"ATI R520 rumors what is your opinion": http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=68471&page=2 (scroll a bit down to see the picture)

In the first thread the 3DMark2001 score is 40145 which is quite remarkable since the world record in the very same benchmarking program is only about 44 000 points. To top that, in the test they used Intel processor which are known to suck with 3DMark2001 (lack of optimization since in the year 2000 there really weren't possibilities to optimize for non-existent hardware) and it wasn't even overclocked very high. Just as a comparison, extremely overclocked P4EE running on ~4.7GHz and and X800XT running on as high as possible the score is "only" 36-37k points so as you can see, there's something really powerful coming out.

Geta-Ve
02-24-2005, 08:09 PM
beat me to it! gar! anyways heres another official link from ATi

http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressReleaseText.asp?compid=105421&releaseID=678024

also most consumers have at least 512ram.....

Neil
02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Out of curiosity, how many people on here have PCI Express slots?
If these new video cards come out and they don't make a version for AGP, are they gonna sell as much?

-Vormav-
02-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Doom 3 requires 512 video mem to run at its full spec.
Sorry, but that's complete bs. I remember when those claims were first made, but they obviously didn't actually test their theory.

I didn't believe it at first - because of those claims - when one of my friends said that he was running Doom 3 on its ultra high settings with his new PC (3.6ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800XT, 1gb RAM). But after seeing him playing the game and seeing how smooth the framerate was, and after forcing him to go into the video settings menu and seeing that everything was maxed out - ultra high quality, 1280x1024 - I started believing. It definitely can be done on the latests systems, without any need for a video card with 512mb, and it definitely looks nice. I can't believe how smoothly that bastard had that game running.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/surprised.gif

Sintaxerror
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Most people do have 1 Gig of ram on there machines to my knowledge, I do and most of the poeple I know do unless they are running a 486. If your not I sujest you go get another stick or two of ram.

Geta-Ve
02-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry, but that's complete bs. I remember when those claims were first made, but they obviously didn't actually test their theory.

I didn't believe it at first - because of those claims - when one of my friends said that he was running Doom 3 on its ultra high settings with his new PC (3.6ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800XT, 1gb RAM). But after seeing him playing the game and seeing how smooth the framerate was, and after forcing him to go into the video settings menu and seeing that everything was maxed out - ultra high quality, 1280x1024 - I started believing. It definitely can be done on the latests systems, without any need for a video card with 512mb, and it definitely looks nice. I can't believe how smoothly that bastard had that game running.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/surprised.gif

smooth as in 60fps?

because HardOCP (i think) had a huge review of the game and the game running on multiple systems from lowest to highest. and with ultra high settings using a radeon 800xt they just barely got over 30fps (i believe) something like that, and for you to say a 9800xt no less was able to do it, in my opinion is false...

not trying to say your a lier, but im just going by facts you know... :/

either way sounds cool

MickyG
02-24-2005, 11:03 PM
not trying to say your a lier, but im just going by facts you know...

Well, your facts are something you read, and the other guys facts are something he physically watched and interacted with...

I know which 'facts' I'd prefer:)

Personally, I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5gig RAM and an Athlon XP 2700 and I run it at 1024*768 at maxed detail (no AA though) and I get good framerates throughout (haven't measured, roughly 30-50fps)

KolbyJukes
02-25-2005, 01:12 AM
I played Doom 3 on my machine (P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB DDR, Geforce 6800 GTO), at 1600x1200, with 4x AA, and everything pumped up to the highest levels, it ran like a hot knife through butter, approx 40 FPS if I remember correctly.

-K.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.