PDA

View Full Version : misss and multiple processors

GatorNic
02-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I have been doing some skin test with miss_fast_skin and I noticed when I was rendering, that during the lightmap generation that it is only using one processor. When it does the FG and actual rendering passes it uses both. Is there anyway to force it to use multiple?

It just kind of a pain because I am doing some tests at school and the machines are hyperthreaded dualies, so to Windows it actually shows up as four processors (four threads) ....meaning when it goes to do lightmap gen it is only using 1 thread for 25% of cpu usage! FG and the regular rendering pass show use of all four threads pseudo processors.

Hope that is somewhat clear. Man windows sux.

MunCHeR
02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
maybe lightmap generation is not multithreaded, I know mental ray has a bug when using multiple processors with a dielectric material, horrible noise, dont know if its been fixed in MR 3.4, and yeah I agree with you about windows:D

MunCH

Sphere♥
02-24-2005, 05:14 PM
[...]machines are hyperthreaded dualies[...]only using 1 thread for 25% of cpu usage!
Sorry, couldn't resists, but you have only two CPUs. Hyperthreading only helps multitasking on one CPU, it doesn't give you another CPU or make two math intensive processes execute faster than one. Multitasking is a lot of overhead because of the constant swapping of CPU registers and states, hyperthreading simply reduces that overhead. In your case, you'll still have 50% usage of your PC's CPU power.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.