PDA

View Full Version : The Firefox Bomb from Microsoft

kilikili
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Microsoft's chief tells a RSA keynote audience to expect the company's answer to Firefox this summer, instead of next year, and says a new anti-spyware tool will stay free.

More >>> (http://www.linuxpipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=60401231)

-Kilikili

pentultimate
02-23-2005, 06:04 PM
well it's about time they did something - though I can't say I have high expectations from microsoft. The best thing about this is the hope that Firefox 2 will blow it out of the water ;)

Gentle Fury
02-23-2005, 06:04 PM
hmmm, the prospect of another buggy-ass version of IE def doesn't do anything to sway me from Firefox.... ;)

Now if they announce the elimination of Active X I MIGHT consider it......but it's still doubtful.

nimajneb
02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
As if it matters. Like anyone who's switched is going back to IE because M$ says they fixed things. Heard it before folks, you've got no creditability anymore.

Sorry for the rant.

rendermania
02-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Yawnnn. MS should concentrate on finishing Longhorn instead. Firefox and Opera work fine for me.

dmonk
02-23-2005, 06:08 PM
We'l see, but as soon as it comes out thousands of hackers, script kiddies and virus writers will be trying to exploit it. I love firefox, but it's only a matter of time for them as well.

Para
02-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Umm, isn't this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=211406) already about this?

Besides the choice of words in that news is clearly meant to provoke people to rave about the news item instead of reading the actual information with a clear perspective.

Unled
02-23-2005, 06:48 PM
The best I can see them doing is stealing all the good Firefox ideas. Like Extentions and tabbed browser windows. Personally all the great extentions like mouse gestures is what makes Firefox so great to me.

Gentle Fury
02-23-2005, 06:55 PM
The best I can see them doing is stealing all the good Firefox ideas. Like Extentions and tabbed browser windows. Personally all the great extentions like mouse gestures is what makes Firefox so great to me.

I personally wouldn't see M$ using something like extensions.....it gives the user too much control of the browser and that is something they are strongly opposed to. Ever tried to customize anything in a M$ product......it is def not intended, and NOT encouraged.

If they did add something like this, it would be hard encoded, near impossible to uninstall and make it even easier for script kiddies to ruin your day....but isn't that what M$ is all about??

Andyman
02-23-2005, 07:22 PM
If it happens to be better than Firefox, or if it's worse... us consumers still "win."

BRUTICUS
02-23-2005, 07:34 PM

What does mouse gestures do? I use Firefox. What it really seems to lack that Mozilla has tho is GROUPED TABS. Anyone find a way to do this?

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft simply announced this IE Upgrade to make IE users wait around, since there's such a buzz about Firefox right now. They've done it before. When yahoo increased their mail storage limit to 100 MB, Microsoft announced that in a couple months they would increase Hotmail's to 250 MB. I decided to wait around and stick with my Hotmail account. 4 months passes and still 2 MB storage limit. 2 months later Gmail is announced with 1 GIG storage. And after waiting almost a year FINALLY Microsoft started giving 250 MB accounts.

Im not ussually a Microsoft basher, all im saying is if you're interested in checking out these famed Firefox features then don't wait around for Microsoft. Upgrade to Firefox and check it out.

Tocpe
02-23-2005, 07:36 PM

Man Firefox gestures ROCK! I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread! :bounce:

cgclay
02-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Firefox functionality without the appetite for RAM? Please don't let me down Microsoft

Rudity
02-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Man Firefox gestures ROCK! I think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread! :bounce:

Holy!! I just installed the gestures.
AWESOME! just like marking menus in maya.
i'm stoked!! This so made my day.

Regarding the Microsoft explorer...
Meh, whatever.

Larry_g1s
02-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Bomb?...hardly. What they fail to understand, is it's to late for many, myself included. I'm done with IE, it's Firefox all the way for me.

Armin A
02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
What do you do witch mouse gestures, expect for History back and forward?

-Vormav-
02-23-2005, 10:19 PM
At the risk of straying away from the anti-M$ sentiments that seem so commonplace here (and yet, not nearly as overwhelmingly so as with other messageboards), I hope it turns out well. I hope they come out with a secure browser with good features. I'll always welcome a newer, better browser, regardless of who it's from.
If it's secure, and can do what I want, I'll switch. That may be doubtful, but I'll remain open-minded for now. I like the way I have Firefox setup right now, but because of the way that I have to install a crapload of extensions to get it to that level, and have to reinstall them every time I update the browser, I still haven't even upgraded to 1.0. It's too much of a hassle.

Pyke
02-23-2005, 10:20 PM
And yet all the MS bashers are using Windows...

Para
02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd like to point out that gestures originated in Opera and someone just copied 'em to Firefox.

In fact today I've fiddled several hours with both Firefox and Opera and since I'm usability freak, I recommend Opera. It doesn't have a bulky and laggy UI unlike Firefox.

Unled
02-23-2005, 11:02 PM

That's pretty much it, but when you get used to it, you definately miss it when it's gone. Nothing like being able to right click and twitch your wrist to go back a page.
And I know Opera had this first and I loved it on there too, but I prefer Firefox over Opera. I have all three browsers installed since I do wed design though.

Hazdaz
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
I love this announcement! Simply put, this proves that MS is concerned about FireFox... but more importantly, this shows how freakin important competition is - in ALL product lines. Competition breeds innovation and results in a better product for consumers.

I personally switched to FF months ago and have no intention of switching back... BUT I will still atleast look at IE and see what it has to offer, and then await for FF's rebuttal.

Now too bad all segments of the computer industry didn't have more competition.

AnimBot
02-24-2005, 01:26 AM
Yea actually I prefer AvantBrowser's method of running through the page history. If you want to go back just hold RMB and click LMB. If you want to go forward hold LMB and click RMB. It's super quick and intuitive. The tabbed browsing is more fleshed out as well you can have your pages arranged any way you like. Mine look like this currently. Very handy this way to look through multiple forums at once.

NUKE-CG
02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
I didn't really like Firefox at all, I'd recommend Opera, those guys are the true innovators.

Beamtracer
02-24-2005, 01:52 AM
It would be interesting to know what percent of CGTalk readers are using Firefox to browse the web. I'd expect it would be much higher here than average.

Is there anyone who hasn't tried Firefox? If you haven't, you can download it here...
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
and make your web surfing much faster.

Since Microsoft killed off Netscape they haven't done any serious upgrading of Internet Explorer. Now that the much faster Firefox has come on the scene, Microsoft is forced to do a total rewrite of Internet Explorer in an attempt to make it as fast as Firefox.

But performance isn't the only reason people prefer Firefox. Other reasons...

Firefox is more secure and doesn't attract all the malicious attacks that Exploiter does.
Firefox adheres to standards, whereas Exploiter is full of MS proprietary formats.
Firefox is open source. It's better for the people of the world to control the internet, rather than a single monopolistic company like Microsoft.

pgp_protector
02-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Reading the title I thought it would be about a new patch that was bombing (AKA Killing) Firefox, not a "killer" I.E. :D

Gentle Fury
02-24-2005, 02:41 AM

And I would really love to use something than disgusting, expensive, pollution causing gasoline to power a car, but I don't have too many viable options do i?

mummey
02-24-2005, 03:07 AM
And I would really love to use something than disgusting, expensive, pollution causing gasoline to power a car, but I don't have too many viable options do i?

I WALK! :D

Schwinnz
02-24-2005, 03:16 AM

It's not at all a question of MS hating or not. IE is just a plain old crap piece of software that doesn't respect standards and pushes back the worldwide acceptation of things like PNG and JPG2000.

Plus IE dev is completely stuck since the release of v6, other than the numerous security patches I haven't seen anything new at all since that.

Para
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
But performance isn't the only reason people prefer Firefox. Other reasons...

I must comment to this that even millisecond do count. Both Opera and IE react in one millisecond making the use instant, Firefox spends several milliseconds per operation and thus is slower. I don't know how they managed to make it so but Firefox clearly doesn't "perform" better. At the moment my iexplore.exe (which I use to write this message) takes about 21 megs of RAM and Firefox (which I use to basically run a lot simplier page) is taking 26 megs of RAM.

Once again the problem with you seems to be that you can't just agree with anything that could be considered good in any way that is related to any MS product. All you do is keep chanting the monopoly mantra over and over again with the traditional "MS killed my baby!" and "MS doesn't do anything at all!" which both have been proven false numerous times by others but still you decide to ignore all that because...why? Why are you ignoring all that? Do you want to be different just because you can be?

Is there an ignore function in CGtalk?

JMulder
02-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm curious, let's assume for a moment that IE7 is better than FireFox, that it solves all of IE6's problems, conforms to more standards than FireFox, and outperforms FireFox. How many people would switch back to IE?

I'm NOT saying this will happen, just a hypothetical question...

jussing
02-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I'm curious, let's assume for a moment that IE7 is better than FireFox, that it solves all of IE6's problems, conforms to more standards than FireFox, and outperforms FireFox. How many people would switch back to IE?

I'm NOT saying this will happen, just a hypothetical question...
I will NEVAH trust Internet Explorer. I'll use it again the day there are no other browsers.

Gentle Fury
02-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I must comment to this that even millisecond do count. Both Opera and IE react in one millisecond making the use instant, Firefox spends several milliseconds per operation and thus is slower. I don't know how they managed to make it so but Firefox clearly doesn't "perform" better. At the moment my iexplore.exe (which I use to write this message) takes about 21 megs of RAM and Firefox (which I use to basically run a lot simplier page) is taking 26 megs of RAM.

Once again the problem with you seems to be that you can't just agree with anything that could be considered good in any way that is related to any MS product. All you do is keep chanting the monopoly mantra over and over again with the traditional "MS killed my baby!" and "MS doesn't do anything at all!" which both have been proven false numerous times by others but still you decide to ignore all that because...why? Why are you ignoring all that? Do you want to be different just because you can be?

Is there an ignore function in CGtalk?

This is fine and wonderful, but would you like to know the reason I stopped using IE.

I set my homepage to about:blank and started IE....I closed it, and ran adaware.....there were 12 new ad/spyware apps installed on my comp......never even visited a web page!!! That is why I hate IE and don't trust it at all!

And once again, as long as they allow Active-X control I will avoid it like the plague.....I mean come on....M$ actually added something to their software that makes it easier for people to hijack your computer!!!

I go to a site with IE and get tons of pop-ups (don't talk to me about pop-up blocker....it doesn't do crap! Only seems to block occasional pop-ups!) and active-x sliders and all the other crap you get with IE.....I have NEVER seen a pop-up with Firefox, or an active-x warning!

So in my opinion, I will wait the extra millisecond for stuff to load, and I will sacrifice the extra 3 meg of ram for not having to deal with the headache that is IE!

Funny.....for some reason M$ sympathizers are even more compulsive at defending a crappy product than haters are at bashing.....at least i can admit to some good things about windows.....hell even though XP is the biggest piece of crap I've ever used, I still think 2000 is a great OS.

Consider the facts before you start calling people haters and claiming that people don't like a good product because of the developer.....If M$ made a truly suppierior product I would use it.....but thus far I am unimpressed with their buggy, exploit driven garbage they force us to deal with.....and I say force because it is a damn monopoly.....Until there is linux support for all winblows software....we are stuck! And that is the big reason I hate M$!

Tocpe
02-24-2005, 02:12 PM

That's pretty much it, but when you get used to it, you definately miss it when it's gone. Nothing like being able to right click and twitch your wrist to go back a page.
And I know Opera had this first and I loved it on there too, but I prefer Firefox over Opera. I have all three browsers installed since I do wed design though.

Actually you can program it to do a lot more than that. I think there are two gesture plugins available. (I'm at work so I can't pull up my version I use at home and tell which on I'm using). I have mine set up to go back, forward, up a link in a new tab, open a new window, see the page code, close a tab and a bunch more. Basically, if you can do something in Firefox you can probably assign a gesture to it. I'm hooked on it like a crack monkey.

lol I even find myself trying to do gestures in Safari at work! (Can't seem to to get Firefox or any Mozilla-based browser to work on this particular machine)

jussing
02-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Which IE user hasn't tried to have your system infected with spyware, search bars you didn't ask for, and a new "start up" page that's buried deep in your registry database? If you haven't tried it yet, you're up for it anytime, so, good luck!

I had that experience ONCE, and I am NEVER going back to IE. To think that such a crappy product exists and is made and distributed by professionals is one thing, but to think that somewhere near 90% of all internet users use it, staggers the mind.

And I'm not even religious about Microsoft being "bad", I think XP is the most user friendly and stable operation system I ever tried. Internet Explorer just sucks beyond all belief.

Is FireFox microseconds slower? I never noticed that.

Cheers,
- Jonas

strangelife
02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
my guess is when firefox becomes uber popular, alot of folks are gonna ditch it with rants similar to the IE experience. then it's on to the next little guy until he grows up.

jussing
02-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Which IE user hasn't tried to have your system infected with spyware, search bars you didn't ask for, and a new "start up" page that's buried deep in your registry database? If you haven't tried it yet, you're up for it anytime, so, good luck!
- and before y'all tell me that only happens if you visit, erhm, "questionable sites", let me tell you it was a link right here in CGTalk.

A user had posted a link to a file he was hosting at his own web site, but, it was an old thread, and his page had been taken down, and the ISP's domain name had been taken over by someone else, hosting material of a more "questionable nature". One click on a perfectly un-suspicious link, and my computer when straight to hell. "Thank you, Internet Eplorer".

- Jonas

CaptainJackSparrow
02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Is anyone else irked by these MS and IE-Lovers/defenders?

I can't stand the way they think they are so smart and kewl, 'Oh look at me I actually LOVE IE, anyone with any real brains can see that IE and MS are good things'.

I mean, what the?

Gentle Fury
02-24-2005, 02:59 PM
my guess is when firefox becomes uber popular, alot of folks are gonna ditch it with rants similar to the IE experience. then it's on to the next little guy until he grows up.

Ok, that makes no sense. If it remains a good program, why would that happen? If for some odd reason they start adding things to firefox that makes it completely susceptable to exploitation, and i start getting ad/spyware for no reason....then yeah I would ditch it...but as long as it's a good product I continue to use it. I've been using MIRC now for about 11 years....it has remained a good product, so i continue to use it.

This is about as illogical a thought as someone defending IE merely for the sake of it being the unpopular thing to do...

SpeccySteve
02-24-2005, 03:05 PM
GF, I think the point that strangelife is trying to make is that if Firefox becomes popular enough, it'll likely become more of a target for exploits and people looking for security leaks, in the end if it isn't patched up tight it might be no better than the MS equivalent..

-Steve

jussing
02-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Yup, and that's actually a fair point. Not necessarily entirely true (because it remains to be proven), but it makes sense.

Why would hackers develop tools and viruses to attack FireFox, when IE is still sitting on more than 90% of the market? It's business, they go for the popular browser.

Plus, it's not just hackers, it's competition too. Right now it's "everybody against IE", but if FireFox took over, it would be "everybody against FireFox".

If the stats changed, I bet FireFox would get its share of security flaws disclosed, too. Not as much as IE, I'm sure, but more than now.

- Jonas

Gentle Fury
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
GF, I think the point that strangelife is trying to make is that if Firefox becomes popular enough, it'll likely become more of a target for exploits and people looking for security leaks, in the end if it isn't patched up tight it might be no better than the MS equivalent..

-Steve

No, what he said was that once it becomes popular and a lot of people are using it that people will stop using it regardless of whether it is a good product or not. As to say that IE is a great product but some people don't like it because its a M$ product.

And I personally think that is riduculous.

Somehow implieing that the browser you use makes you cool....and once its not cool to use Firefox people will stop using it.....lol

SpeccySteve
02-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Depends how you interpret the post I suppose.:shrug:

Maybe strangelife can clarify what he meant?

strangelife
02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
yeah, didn't mean to ruffle the feathers of diehard firefox fans (i'm also a user). but to clarify, when the popularity of firefox increases, the chances of exploitation and all other things frustrating will certainly become more prevalent. I can see how you might interpret my original message as generalizing that some people base their decisions on firefox use as a counter weight to the popularity of IE. Sorry, that wasn't my intention. Though, at this point, I think the best way to offset the ravages of hackers, pop-ups, spyware, etc., is to choose technology that isn't mainstream, which should be less prone to the legions of knuckleheads that do everything they can to frustrate the masses.

Koogle
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
hehe this is soo funny reading these threads

ie + www.maxthon.com (http://www.maxthon.com) = yeah man! best browser combo i've found, closely followed by Avant i suppose :)

firefox ain't everything its being hyped out to be, its got nothing that the above browser replacements I mentioned above couldn't do better! firefox is just an way for people who can't solve the problems they had with ie to run too. When you use a browser that has a large userbase of course people are going to try exploit it.

anyway if you love firefox stay with it, exploits will show up in that one, and its upto you to watch out for security issues!!. Software developers can only put so much time into fixing old bugs, because there is always people pushing for newer stuff.

slaughters
02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Is anyone else irked by these MS and IE-Lovers/defenders?

I can't stand the way they think they are so smart and kewl, 'Oh look at me I actually LOVE IE, anyone with any real brains can see that IE and MS are good things'.

I mean, what the?Almost as annoying as people who see an automatic red flag anytime Microsoft is mentioned :)

Anyone who refuses to independently judge a product based on it's own merit is someone whose opinion it's safe to ignore on that issue.

If IE7 is a better product, I'll use it. If it's not, I won't. (I like Firefox, but when hackers start massivly targeting it, I'll dump it like a hot potato)

mummey
02-24-2005, 05:15 PM
firefox ain't everything its being hyped out to be, its got nothing that the above browser replacements I mentioned above couldn't do better! firefox is just an way for people who can't solve the problems they had with ie to run too. When you use a browser that has a large userbase of course people are going to try exploit it.

anyway if you love firefox stay with it, exploits will show up in that one, and its upto you to watch out for security issues!!. Software developers can only put so much time into fixing old bugs, because there is always people pushing for newer stuff.

I will now debunk two paragraphs with one sentence: Firefox is *not* tied to the OS, therefore exploits that may target it are not as big of a concern as they are for ie.

Koogle
02-24-2005, 05:28 PM
heheh I can see this going on and on.. but lets just say I'd rather stick with a browser combo with speed,workflow and features, than use another browser thats considered to have better 'security'.. you've still got to watch out for programs containing virus/spyware that could use IE even you don't.

ambient-whisper
02-25-2005, 05:27 AM
i used to hate the browsers that preceeded firefox, so i always stuck with IE. however after noticing the way the search bar works ( where you can quickly search a term through google/amazon/dictionary, etc. ( and add search engines without having to waste ANY space because theres no new bars to add on. ).. the tabbed browsing ( which i use from time to time but not as often as id like )... the fact that firefox has an extension to remember my last session...scrapbooks, allows bookmark folders to be shown as tabs, list goes on. its actually pretty hard for me to go back to ie.

its not slow, and even tho it could be slower than ie as some claim, its definitely not really noticable, and the features it provides to save time balance the issue out 10 fold. it boots up fast too, so what else would you want?

im not biased, as ive been using ie for a long time, but i just dont see the need to use ie at the moment. one case where i do use it is when i have to download asx files. for some reason firefox doesnt seem to do its thing when it reaches asx files.

kilikili
02-25-2005, 05:31 AM
BTW Firefox v1.0.1 was just released today.

-Kilikili

slaughters
02-25-2005, 12:16 PM
BTW Firefox v1.0.1 was just released today.

-KilikiliGet it. It fixes these security vulnerabilities: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox

OzzyCat
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Yawnnn. MS should concentrate on finishing Longhorn instead. Firefox and Opera work fine for me.

I'd place a bet that they aren't using the same people and that the Windows team is large enough already mate ;)

Fact is, Microsoft became complacent and lazy with IE. Because they owned the market on browsers. Firefox is a kick in the ass, and they might do something good for IE7. I'll stick with IE personally, because I don't have ANY problems with it. My system is secure enough. See, the nature of software development means that ALL apps released nowadays will have some bugs. Yep, we've seen it on Firefox too. Let's wait and see what IE7 proves, before we start slagging MS off like little geeky bitches.

And to the comment above... IE6 does pretty much everything that those two browsers do, together. Sure, the fluff isn't there... like tabbed browsing (I used it, it was nice, then I didn't miss it when it was gone...). But the actual use of the internet is fine. No need for two apps.

And ActiveX is a good way of delivering content. If you decide not to have an ActiveX product installed, that's your choice, and you are given the option.

Saurus
02-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Several security vulnerabilities in Firefox and the Mozilla Suite...I'm sure hackers will by pass this one up.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,100060,00.html

Psyhke
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I think this illustrates some kind of point, decide for yourself what it is exactly:

"The organization released Firefox 1.0.1, which fixes 17 security flaws in the popular Web browser. The most serious flaws could allow an attacker to gain full control over a victim's PC, the Mozilla Foundation said in a statement. Firefox 1.0 was released in November and has since been downloaded more than 27 million times."

Koogle
02-26-2005, 08:39 PM
well so much for security eh? poor firefox users

http://www.maxthon.com/ !

Hazdaz
02-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I think this illustrates some kind of point, decide for yourself what it is exactly:

"The organization released Firefox 1.0.1, which fixes 17 security flaws in the popular Web browser. The most serious flaws could allow an attacker to gain full control over a victim's PC, the Mozilla Foundation said in a statement. Firefox 1.0 was released in November and has since been downloaded more than 27 million times."

Exactly - If for NO other reason you should try FF, this ^^^ should be it. The FF developers seem to actually FIX the flaws in the application (and fairly quickly at that)... and actually tell you what the problem was. MS just LOVES to take forever to update tis software and rarely tells you that there might be a major security whole up until the day of the update. Lately MS has gotten ALOT better, but I attribute most of that to the competition from FF that has made MS a better company).

slaughters
02-27-2005, 04:31 AM
Exactly - If for NO other reason you should try FF, this ^^^ should be it. The FF developers seem to actually FIX the flaws in the application (and fairly quickly at that)....The vulnerability was known for several weeks before 1.0.1 was rushed out. They were not lightening quick to get the security vulnerability fixed, but they weren't hugely slow. About average. Nothing to jump up and down with glee about.

Hazdaz
02-27-2005, 04:44 AM
The vulnerability was known for several weeks before 1.0.1 was rushed out. They were not lightening quick to get the security vulnerability fixed, but they weren't hugely slow. About average. Nothing to jump up and down with glee about.

How many Windows and IE vulnerabilities and instabilities are known and still have no fixes? 'Nuf said.

xynaria
02-27-2005, 05:00 AM
I use both and they both have their good points. Firefox I do prefer but..I'm on an old machine and do most of my navigation through the history panel and quite frankly after a week or so Firefox slows to a crawl in that mode. I love the tabs anbd the extensions but that is something they really out to attend to IMHO cos even though I'm hardly a Microsoft or I E fan, I don't get those problems with I E.

zappenduster
02-27-2005, 02:30 PM
How many Windows and IE vulnerabilities and instabilities are known and still have no fixes? 'Nuf said.

How many opera vulnerabilities and instabilities are known and still have no fixes?
dont get too fixated on firefox opera was one of the first "little" browsers that could be used for allday browsing

gestures and tabed browser windows most stuff was already in opera or other browsers before firefox became popular

Hazdaz
02-27-2005, 02:48 PM
How many opera vulnerabilities and instabilities are known and still have no fixes?
dont get too fixated on firefox opera was one of the first "little" browsers that could be used for allday browsing

gestures and tabed browser windows most stuff was already in opera or other browsers before firefox became popular

Windows and IE have vulnerabilities and instabilities still present from before Opera was even invented. Also MS has nearly limitless resources to have fixed those issues, and basically chose not to. I really don't think you can compare the two.

So far FF has worked extremely well for me, and unless something in the new IE totaly blows it out of the water (as unlikely as that is), I see no good reason to switch back.

My first post in this thread was that even if ya don't use FF, the fact that its here and gaining users is GOOD, cuz that will push the competition to improve their products. Opera might be a good browser, but be it because of marketing or ease of use or compatibility or just plain dumb luck, it hasn't caught the limelight like FF has.

zappenduster
02-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Windows and IE have vulnerabilities and instabilities still present from before Opera was even invented. Also MS has nearly limitless resources to have fixed those issues, and basically chose not to. I really don't think you can compare the two.

So far FF has worked extremely well for me, and unless something in the new IE totaly blows it out of the water (as unlikely as that is), I see no good reason to switch back.

My first post in this thread was that even if ya don't use FF, the fact that its here and gaining users is GOOD, cuz that will push the competition to improve their products. Opera might be a good browser, but be it because of marketing or ease of use or compatibility or just plain dumb luck, it hasn't caught the limelight like FF has.

i wasnt comparing ie and opera i was comparing opera and firefox both should have nearly the same amount of resources

i dont want a hyped product i want a software that fits my needs, i dont care if i use the 548586458478 version of ie or phoenixfromthehills gold I choose the software that i needed
other peoples meanings give me a push to check new things out but i dont have to like them just cause its the new microsoft competitor

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.