PDA

View Full Version : De-interlacing/Compositing Question

Shayder
02-23-2005, 05:02 PM
I use Maya 4.5 and After Effects 6.5 Pro and Matchmover 2.0.

I have shot some test footage that we want to combine with CG elements.

I have yet to animate the CG elements or track the footage.

Tracking:
Should I de-interlace the video first?

Animation:
How should I set up my render? We shot the footage with a Beta SP camera (NTSC).
Should I render in frames or fields? If fields, which one first? When I render in frames does that mean my CG elements will be interlaced?

Compositing:
What is the best way to de-interlace? Do I really need to do it in order to better match my footage to my CG?

Thanks for any and all help.

michaeljr
02-26-2005, 04:46 AM
I haven't found a simple 1 2 3 answer to this question, I'm sure everyone has their own way based on experience or a technical reason on why to do it this way or that way.

I shoot at 60i and either use the Matrox DV Codec when capturing my footage. Since my MatroxRTX100 works in only in NTSC I have to keep things interlaced for real time editing. After I edit down my footage, I take that into either my 3d package, 3dsMAX or my compositing software, Combustion. Combustion allows me to tell what the footage is, interlaced or not. When I select this (which I'm sure AE will do) I don't see any interlacing on my monitor and it allows me to work on it without offset lines. I can then just take my MAX renderings and comp them right on the DV footage. I then render if out as 30p then back into my Matrox DV codec so I can realtime add sound and other edits.

I've done some test with deinterlacing programs and the such, and really it hasn't shown me any reason, now to waste the time with worrying about it. but that's just me.

now one reason I would deinterlace is if I'm trying to get a 24p stream to get that so called, magic "film look" from digital. then you could deinterlace and pull down your footage to remove those 6 extra frames to get 24p.

Aruna
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Tracking:
Should I de-interlace the video first?

No, not necessarily. You should be able to track interlaced footage using your package of choice. Give it a try.

Animation:
How should I set up my render? We shot the footage with a Beta SP camera (NTSC).
Should I render in frames or fields? If fields, which one first? When I render in frames does that mean my CG elements will be interlaced?

You can render out your footage in frames.. I am unfamiliar with Maya's rendering engine , so I don't know if they can render out in fields, but it could be beneficial. IIRC, NTSC is odd field first. If you render in frames, your CG won't be interlaced. If you render in fields, they will.

Compositing:
What is the best way to de-interlace? Do I really need to do it in order to better match my footage to my CG?

Most comp packages nowadays don't require you to deinterlace your footage before compositing. Just make sure when you create your project that you're putting in interlaced footage, and it should work out just fine.

Shayder
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks a lot for your reply Aruna, I am going to be doing this work over the next few days.

I think I will render in frames first and then do a version rendered in fields to see the difference. Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.