PDA

View Full Version : Apple unveils more iPods

mikepolizos
02-23-2005, 03:53 PM
......Apple Computer Inc. introduced new versions of its hugely popular iPod on Wednesday. The No. 1 seller of portable digital music players introduced a six-gigabyte iPod mini and 30- and 60-gigabyte models of the iPod photo with a color screen........

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/23/technology/personaltech/apple_new/index.htm?cnn=yes

t-toe
02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
anyone else a little put off by how rapidly Apple is releasing new models of the iPod? don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, and price drops, but it seems they're coming in intervals of a few months these days. I don't want to buy a new iPod knowing it will be obsolete in a matter of 90 days or so.

Dirtystimpy
02-23-2005, 04:34 PM
yeah, i went to look at ipods this week, and they said, you might want to wait....

but i'm curious, i hope they have newer ones coming out that are the normal ones, not the photo or mini.

I wonder if they are dropping the middle one and using photo all the way? anyone know?

ClessMac
02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Not dropping the regular iPod, but they are making the iPod photo much more reasonable. The line now goes like this:

iPod shuffle 512MB - $99
iPod shuffle 1GB - $149
iPod mini 4GB - $199
iPod mini 6GB - $249
iPod 20GB - $299
iPod 20GB U2 Edition - $349
iPod photo 30GB - $349
iPod photo 60GB - $449

Not too bad, if you ask me, though the elimination of the 40GB standard iPod is a bit strange, but better than crossing lines I suppose.. They also eliminated the gold iPod mini (big surprise) and made the other colors a little more vibrant.

chadtheartist
02-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I can see people's point about not wanting to buy something that will be obsolete too soon, but there is no way to know for sure what will be around the next corner. So my advice is buy what you need, and forget it.

I got a 20GB iPod a few months ago. I use it everyday to transfer data between my Mac at work and my PC at home. It's saved me a ton of money on DVD's and CD's, plus I get the added bonus of jamming to my music on the way to work/home.

No regrets from me at all.

Just buy what you need now, and save yourself the time from worrying. If you need to upgrade later, chances are the updated version of this(could be any item really) could be a lot faster, cheaper, and better than what you currently own. It's the nature of the digital beast.

Dirtystimpy
02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
if you ask me, though the elimination of the 40GB standard iPod is a bit strange, but better than crossing lines I suppose..

Yeah, the standard 40g was the one I was planning on buying.

Is the 60g photo comparible in price to what the 40 was?

agreenster
02-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Obsolete? C'mon guys, its just a music player. Its not like its affecting your render times. Even if you have the very first iPod, it still essentially is the same thing as the current linup, minus the space. (unless, of course, you really DO care about the "photo" feature...) I have a 20gig, and I havent even come close to filling it up.

DZL
02-23-2005, 05:27 PM
how many songs do you need? really? 4GB sounds like more than i'll ever need. EVER. it will never become obsolete, as long as they don't release 1GB songs in the near future.

rendermania
02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Somebody please explain to me what the point of having a $449 60 gig iPod with a color screen is when it can't play back videos??? I'm beginning to wonder whether Apple is waiting to start the movie equivalent of iTunes before they make a video iPod.

That would be my guess anyway. They are going to make contracts to sell video content over iTunes or a similar webstore, and boom, you'll have $399 video iPods with these current babies becoming obsolete.

agreenster
02-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Wathing movies is a more engrossing experience than boppin along the street listening to music. I mean, how many people do you see each day with their portable DVD players watching a movie? I see zero. But I see probably close to 50 people using iPods, CD players, or other music players on a daily basis.

There just isnt a huge demand for portable video players. Its more of a pacifier for kids on long trips.

t-toe
02-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Wathing movies is a more engrossing experience than boppin along the street listening to music. I mean, how many people do you see each day with their portable DVD players watching a movie? I see zero. But I see probably close to 50 people using iPods, CD players, or other music players on a daily basis..

I'll betcha that same mentality abounded before it was relatively easy to carry music around with you wherever you go (which we've been able to do since at least the mid-80's). the fact of the matter is, portable video hasn't been around quite as long (well, it has, but never so affordably).

I personally can't wait until I can load up an iPod with my favorite episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Seinfeld and watch it on a trainride into Philly.

rendermania
02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Exactly my thoughts. I bet it will become commonplace to snatch your pocket video player out of a USB cradle while leaving the house, and watch all sorts of content as you sit on the train, or bus or subway. News, entertainment, films, learning content, documentaries and whatnot.

I can already see school kids zapping things like cartoon clips and game trailers back and forth between pocketsized video players. Never say never. This Photo iPod is probably something they want to sell right before they make the entire lineup of iPods obsolete with portable video players based on Quicktime.

Think of how much money Apple can get just for streaming things like film trailers and music promos onto your vidpod. I think it'll happen personally.

agreenster
02-23-2005, 08:17 PM
I'll betcha that same mentality abounded before it was relatively easy to carry music around with you wherever you go.

I dont know though...watching videos is more immersive. You have to WATCH them, so that means you cant walk around, do housework, ride your bike, drive (san headphones, of course), lift weights, work on the computer, sculpt, paint, sketch, etc etc etc--all of which you CAN do while listening to music.

Sure, there are times when a portable video player would be useful, but not NEARLY as useful as an iPod. There isnt BIG money in it, and thats why Apple hasnt pushed it. Im sure I'll eat my words eventually...

scotthik
02-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Step One: Find a partner with a huge library of video content and a fancy new processor...

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=879

"Why did Steve Jobs say that Apple and Sony could possibly work together on computers and music? We think Apple could introduce products based on the IBM/Sony/Toshiba Cell processor," the analyst said.

Merrill Lynch believes that an Apple/Sony partnership could form around an iTunes-like iMovies store online using the H.264 codec and streaming Sony and Pixar content; a high-performance Apple workstation using Cell for video editing; or a network-centric TV with computing for handling the next-generation of entertainment feeds.

"Our thoughts represent logical conjecture and are not based on knowledge of Apple's development plans," the firm cautioned. "Such offerings, however, would put Apple at the heart of the HD and digital consumer revolution and provide grist for further earnings increases and stock price appreciation.

Step 2: Don't canibalize your meal ticket. Re-brand an existing video product...Apple buys Tivo?

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh60398_2005-02-23_20-25-41_n23627852_newsml

Beamtracer
02-24-2005, 01:56 AM
I'll wait until Apple brings out a Bluetooth iPod, and Canon makes a Bluetooth digital camera. Then I'd be happy. I think that in the future the iPod will branch into more mediums than just music.

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.