PDA

View Full Version : particles to show flowing water

hobbit72
09-17-2002, 09:53 AM
I am doing an animation showing the path of liquid through various water cooling channels inside an object. The object will become semi transparent at a stage in the animation so the water route in, through and out will be clear.

Is is possible to make use of particles to show the liquid, and will the particle follow the inner contours of the object?
Do I need to make the entire object, which is quite complex, an FX_collision object?
Why do I sometime have to add the fx_collision object to make particles detect interaction with objects, and sometimes I dont.
In tests I tried to make particles follow the inner path of a simple rail extruded pipe, but they either didnt detect the pipe walls, ot they shot off in crazy direction when I turned self inteaction on, or the followed the curve but lost velocity and stopped after a while.

Has anyone done something like this before, or do you have an suggestions.

fozz
09-17-2002, 03:11 PM
I've played around with something similiar once.
I found the best way was to have the particles follow a simple path, and not use collission at all. Dunno if it suits your need.

Steve Warner
09-17-2002, 03:58 PM
You could also try an animated texture map as opposed to particles. An animated texture map would follow your object and you wouldn't have to worry about collision detection at all. Here's a quick example, in a Divx AVI:

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/test3.avi

Cheers!

Steve

Timothy
09-17-2002, 05:55 PM
Yea, particles will do what your looking for. First off, use only the section of piping that will fade and then only the inner wall of that for your collision object. Make it as simple as possible and then make that invisible to the camera.

Arrange and time your particle so that they will only exist through the visible portion of the pipe (don't need 'em if you can't see them).

If your particle seem to be doing odd things, like shooting of in random directions, then try running the FX_start button in the Scene Tab. This will run the simulation and give you a more accurate result. What you see before you run this is just a very rough simulation.

I assume that you will be using Hypervoxels and such for the blending, in that case you don't really need self interaction.

I think that will give you what you need... Hope this helps.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.