PDA

View Full Version : Maya 6.01 PhongE whiteness parameter

jeremybirn
02-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Maybe somebody else can confirm this, just in case I'm crazy. It seems that in Maya 6.01, the Whiteness parameter on a PhongE shader no longer does anything at all.

It used to tint your specular highlights in other Maya versions, and that was handy because it ONLY tinted the specular highlights (as opposed to "specular color" beneath it, which also tints all the reflections.) One of the things I had liked about PhongE, despite not having a built-in fresnel effect like the Blinn and Ramp shaders, was that you could tint your highlights and reflections separately whenever you needed to.

I know there are ways to do your highlights in a separate node from the reflection, but doesn't this seem weird that they'd take a feature like this out of Maya on a .01 release?

-jeremy

Jackdeth
02-23-2005, 05:38 AM
Maybe somebody else can confirm this, just in case I'm crazy. It seems that in Maya 6.01, the Whiteness parameter on a PhongE shader no longer does anything at all.

It used to tint your specular highlights in other Maya versions, and that was handy because it ONLY tinted the specular highlights (as opposed to "specular color" beneath it, which also tints all the reflections.) One of the things I had liked about PhongE, despite not having a built-in fresnel effect like the Blinn and Ramp shaders, was that you could tint your highlights and reflections separately whenever you needed to.

I know there are ways to do your highlights in a separate node from the reflection, but doesn't this seem weird that they'd take a feature like this out of Maya on a .01 release?

-jeremy

Ummm, you must be smoking some Chronic up there my friend.

I just did a test for ya, and If I tint the whitness the reflection still is white... and if I tint the spec, then the reflection is tinted too.

Oh yeah, I'm 6.01 on Linux. :shrug:

floze
02-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Doh! It's true! Once the specular color is tinted anything other than gray it seems to omit the whiteness.
My suggestion to overcome this is to use saturation values greater than 1 for the whiteness, though the highlight behavior may be different then.

PS: What'sa 'Chronic', Jackdeth?

PaulyC
02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Chronic is what Snoop Dog considers a Vegetable..

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.